Ls400 Or Ls430?

bzwarner

Hi all! I used to be a proud owner of a 91 LS400 until I sold it two years ago, and recently I've been missing it like an ex I should have never dumped. I'd really like to put another LS in the garage, but would like to know more about the engineering and reliability differences between the 98-00 LS400s and the 01-03 LS430s. I have a great deal of faith in the 1UZ-FE powerplant featured in both my 91 LS and the 98-00 LS, but were improvements in durability engineered into the 3UZ-FE motor of the LS430? Would one model be significantly more reliable than the other? I intend to hold on to this car for a loooong time (put over 300k on the 91 LS), so any feedback you guys have regarding the pros and cons of the two generations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tough decision. The LS430 is more car, its bigger, the interior has a lot more features and refinement. Personally I like the styling of the 98-00 LS400 better than the 01-03 LS430.

Reliabilitywise I think you're fine either way. The LS430 has more electronic doodads to go bad if you get higher packages, radar cruise, power and massaging rear seats, etc.

Hi all! I used to be a proud owner of a 91 LS400 until I sold it two years ago, and recently I've been missing it like an ex I should have never dumped. I'd really like to put another LS in the garage, but would like to know more about the engineering and reliability differences between the 98-00 LS400s and the 01-03 LS430s. I have a great deal of faith in the 1UZ-FE powerplant featured in both my 91 LS and the 98-00 LS, but were improvements in durability engineered into the 3UZ-FE motor of the LS430? Would one model be significantly more reliable than the other? I intend to hold on to this car for a loooong time (put over 300k on the 91 LS), so any feedback you guys have regarding the pros and cons of the two generations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just bought a 98 LS. I hear the 01-03 LS 430s are also very reliable. I test drove a 03 and it was nice but bit different than the LS400.

I think a few things very probably improved with the 430s like the steering tilt motors.

I am in the same dilemma now. I used to drive a LS400 and then drove a BMW for a while. The BMW gives too much niggly problems unlike the Lexus and would like to buy a LS again. Should I go for a LS430 (used) or go for a LS400(used)?

If there is a great difference then I would like the ls430 obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to pick between a LS430 and LS400. I would pick the LS400. Only because the 400 can makes tighter turns and doesn't have as many electronics to go bad like the LS430. Now we're talking long term ownership for the LS400. But you just want a car to look nice for about 2 years and then sell it. Then get a LS430. But In my book the LS400 is a keeper. LS430 has More electronics more things to break with time more money to fix. Engineering and reliability differences not very much in that area you're safe with both cars. Good luck on you search for your next LS.

I was driving up behind a 430 some time ago and was not sure what it was, I was puzzling over it and for a long time and I thought it was a Ford Taurus (new model that was the Ford 500) until I got right up behind it. I think the styling on the 400 is much more distinctive and noticeable from a distance. Reliability is probably the same or better, and the initial cost will be less, it will last just as long, so I recommend the 400. When I see the 400 I like it, but for some reason the 430 just doesn't do that much for me.

I agree with the sentiments prefering the 400. For reliability, the basic rule is; the less to break, the less it'll cost. Other than electronics, the powertrain is robust throughout the model years.

Styling is a different matter. Both the interior (however comfortable it may be) and exterior of the 430, seem bloated to me. It's a bigger car and looks it too. The headlight assembly is too large and bulky and looks odd from certain angles (similar to an enclave). If you view the 430 from the side, it looks both taller and stubbier, whereas the earlier 400's look sleek in comparison. IMO.

I just sold my 97' 400 for a 2002 430. I'm told that the 2002 and 2003 LS430's are by far the best cars Lexus has come out with. I was told this by a maintenance supervisor who had nothing to gain if I bought the car since it was from a private seller. He told me that with his experience he would stick with the 02 and 03 and that they are just a very solid car. When I sold my 97 LS400 there was nothing wrong with the car so I'm not knocking the 400s at all I love that car, I just bumped into a very nice deal that I just couldn't pass up.

Well my lil brother just smashed my 96' LS400 today and it's not coming back, so I'm looking at an 2000 LS400. I looked at an LS430 and it doesn't have that rich look like the 400's has. So the LS400 will be my choice. But I going to miss my 96' LS400. :(