Cabin Filter Vs Air Filter

natsueo

Cabin Air Filter does exactly what is says, simply put...it filters the air inside of your car (cabin). It's located in the glove box. Open up the glove box, you'll see a removable panel on the back wall. Then you'll have access to another removable panel (just pull). The filter can then be accessed and pulled out. It's located in the cabin air blower unit.

The Air Filter is located under the hood in the engine compartment drivers side. Just follow from the battery toward the driver and you'll see a black square box. The Air Filter is in there, just unsnap the clamps and open the box. The Air Filter filter is more complicated in what it does. Simply put, it filters outside air through the air intake to be used for combustion.

All of the above can be done without tools.

Cabin Air Filter does exactly what is says, simply put...it filters the air inside of your car (cabin). It's located in the glove box. Open up the glove box, you'll see a removable panel on the back wall. Then you'll have access to another removable panel (just pull). The filter can then be accessed and pulled out. It's located in the cabin air blower unit...

The responder is close but not exactly right. In order to save some frustration, I thought I would jump in on this. You first have to take the two knobs that the glove box pivots on and twist them. Play with them because I don't remember which direction they go. However, once you figure out which way loosens them, pull them out and the glove box compartment rotates forward. That THEN exposes the panel for the replacement filter.

Gary

• 1 month later...
what is the difference between air filter and cabin filter? If it is two different things, is it easy to change the cabin filter? I'm going to ask my husband to do it for me. :) thanks for the advice.

One of the replies gave instructions for changing the engine air filter.

Do these apply to a 2006 RX 330? I can't seem to find the location of the air filter!! :(

what is the difference between air filter and cabin filter? If it is two different things, is it easy to change the cabin filter? I'm going to ask my husband to do it for me. :) thanks for the advice.

One of the replies gave instructions for changing the engine air filter.

Do these apply to a 2006 RX 330? I can't seem to find the location of the air filter!! :(

GaneshR- Am not specifically familiar with an '06 but it should be easy to find. It pretty much has to be in the air intake line on the drivers side of the car. On the earlier RX's it is right behind the battery and as one poster said it should be easy to unsnap the clamps that hold the top on it. The rest is history! :)

From experience, I will say this: if you have never changed the cabin air filter, you will be horrified by all the gunk, leaves and dust caught in the filter! I would put down a towel or something on the passenger floor before I tugged the nasty filter out of the car.

Also, I believe that the Owner's Manual has some pretty detailed pictures and instructions for removing the filter. Shock your husband and do it yourself!

~Brian