Which Battery?

sandygarf

I have a 2000 ES300. I have been using a group size 35 battery, but the auto store is telling me that I should be using a size 24F battery. They say that is what the car came with. Does it make a difference? Which one is better? Thanks.

I also have a 35 battery in our 94 ES. We have had the car 14 years, and I can't recall what size battery was in the car originally. I do know that many Lexus and Toyota vehicles use sizes 24F and 27F batteries. (These are also known as 24R and 27R. The F and R parts of the battery models indicate that the positive terminal is on the left side when looking at the front of the battery.)

The 24F is almost the same size as the 35. It is about 1 3/4 inches wider. The depth and height are almost equal. I suspect that the battery holder is large enough to put a 24F in there. It has always seemed logical to me to get the biggest battery that will fit the holder. I would expect the 24F to have higher capacity than the 35, but that may not always be the case.

If you decide to get the 24 size, make sure it is the 24F or 24R. The positive terminal must be on the left. The cables are not long enough to reach the terminals if the positive is on the right. It is also very easy to get the cables attached to the wrong terminals if one is not careful in buying the battery. Several folks on this forum have caused themselves some severe electrical problems by buying and installing the wrong type of battery, i.e., the type with the positive terminal on the right.