Coax Cable In Trunk?

JDOwen2

My antenna mast died on me the other day and today I pulled the assembly out of the trunk. The nylon cable is broken just past the mast. I also found a coax cable (just like a tv coax cable) laying behind the inner trim panel in the same harness as the radio coax. Can't imagine what it's for. Car didn't come with a phone. Called my "friendly" Toyota dealer this afternoon and gave him the Toyota part number off the motor. "That's a Lexus number, you have to call them." I asked if I could bring it down to compare with a Toyota mast and they said sure. The parts guy was nice enough to pull a few different ones out of stock and they were different lengths. I may have been able to cobble something together but didn't want to risk !Removed! it up. I'll be calling Lexus Monday :-[ Anyone have a clue what the second coax is for?

I'm pretty sure that it is for the phone. Mine had it too, even though it did not have a phone. I assume it is cheaper to build the car with the wires in place for the antenna so the dealer doesn't have to rip the car apart to install the phone's antenna.

I would like to second that request for info on installing a cell phone antenna and using the existing wiring.

My '99 SC400 has the same cable in the trunk.

BTW, the shop manual shows that the same cable goes to TWO radio antenna. One is the motorized mast and the other is in the rear window.

Thanks

Glen (San Jose, CA)