Stereo For My 99 Es300. Any Suggestions?

hi all, this is my first post as a loc member. i received a 99 es300 for christmas and i am eager to upgrade the sound system as my first modification. my question to all of you guys/gals is this: do you have any suggestions for a high end system for my new ride? i am planning on leaving the current deck as is, and just adding an amp or two, new speakers all around, and a 12" inch sub. i dont need to be ghetto fab or anything, i just want a system that will appeal to my ears. i know a lot of people suggest sony/alpine/pioneer/jbl, etc; but those systems dont sound too great to me. i have heard a jl audio system that sounded fabulous, as well as a very nice eclipse system. does anyone else have any other suggestions? thanks in advance and take care.

rahul

p.s. - i know i would have to have line level converters or something if i bypassed the cars current amp. could anyone tell me what exactly this means? i have searched the forums and cant really find anything that gives a detailed description of this procedure...