What Is This Near My Oil Filter?

eerf95

Hello, I have a '95 SC400 and was wondering what this grey plastic thing with the wire sticking out of it is near my Oil Filter? (see picture). It is leaking oil (when car is running) between the plastic seams.

How do I remove it? and does it need to be replaced?

Thanks for any help,

eerf95

post-57301-1225462979_thumb.jpg

Hello, I have a '95 SC400 and was wondering what this grey plastic thing with the wire sticking out of it is near my Oil Filter? (see picture). It is leaking oil (when car is running) between the plastic seams.

Thanks for any help,

eerf95

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that's the oil pressure sensor, depending on how its leaking, it should be replaced. From the description its not just a seal, but a failure of the part sensor itself. Goodluck with it. :cheers:

Thanks for any help,

eerf95

Someone corr

Thanks for any help,

eerf95

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that's the oil pressure sensor, depending on how its leaking, it should be replaced. From the description its not just a seal, but a failure of the part sensor itself. Goodluck with it.:cheers:

Oil pressure sensor it is.........those things will crack between the plastic insert top and the metal housing (around the plug in terminals) resulting in a leak

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, what am I doing wrong? I got the new oil pressure sensor and put it on, but it is leaking oil at the threads. I put teflon tape on it and it seems the more I screw it on the more it leaks. I hand tightened it and it still leaks but not as much.

Any ideas?

thanks,

eerf95

It should have an oring on it. Lube it with some oil and try again.

If it doesn't have the oring, you may have battered the threads overtightening it.

That housing is only aluminum.

You may can try running the correct tap into the threads to "chase" them, but I don't know what the correct tap is.

There is a chance it's the wrong part depending on where you got it.

It should have an oring on it. Lube it with some oil and try again.

If it doesn't have the oring, you may have battered the threads overtightening it.

That housing is only aluminum.

You may can try running the correct tap into the threads to "chase" them, but I don't know what the correct tap is.

There is a chance it's the wrong part depending on where you got it.

thanks. there was no o-ring, maybe I over tightened it. I'll get another.

okay, I got another sensor and it still leaks, not as bad though. Teflon tape didn't work, so I used a high temp, oil resistant gasket sealer. I hand tightened the sensor on, then turned it about 1/4 more with a wrench.

I don't understand why it still leaks. No oil light is on.

Any ideas?

eerf95

there might be a hairline crack that you're not able to see from there or somewhere near by. See if you can buy some Oil dye. Before you add it, drain your oil, and thoroughly clean the oil area. I've used BrakeClean and let it dry. Add cheap 5w30 or 10w30 oil(Walmart with the dye. Let it run for 10-20 minutes and use the blacklight. That should show the leak.