Tires

Morobi

Unfortunately, yet also fortunately, my run flats finally needed replacing. I had been reading the tire related postings for months and perusing the tire company info online about the possible tire options. My old Bridgestone Potenza (I think) run flats lasted about 23,000 bone-shattering, teeth gritting, headache-inducing miles. I chose the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires as replacements from Discount Tire. They were in the upper price range at about about $350/tire installed with new everything and a 45K mile warranty. Discount Tire was familiar with the installation process for the SC model. The transformation in the quality and smoothness of the ride has been unbelieveable. To me, this change has made an good car now nearly perfect. I'm sorry I waited so long, but wanted to get every centimeter of wear from those expensive run flats before changing. But what a difference these tires have made.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, yet also fortunately, my run flats finally needed replacing. I had been reading the tire related postings for months and perusing the tire company info online about the possible tire options. My old Bridgestone Potenza (I think) run flats lasted about 23,000 bone-shattering, teeth gritting, headache-inducing miles. I chose the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires as replacements from Discount Tire. They were in the upper price range at about about $350/tire installed with new everything and a 45K mile warranty. Discount Tire was familiar with the installation process for the SC model. The transformation in the quality and smoothness of the ride has been unbelieveable. To me, this change has made an good car now nearly perfect. I'm sorry I waited so long, but wanted to get every centimeter of wear from those expensive run flats before changing. But what a difference these tires have made.

Thanks for your info. I intend to follow your example when my run flats need replacement. I was at Costco today, and their price for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ is $269.99. This includes mounting, balancing, and rotation for the life of the tire.

What is a good winter tire to replace the "all season" run flats with?

Thanks Cliff

Dealer recommended Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 on a 18 inch wheel. Discount Tire recommended Michelin Alpin PAZ-ZP on a 17 inch wheel. This is my first winter (Minnesota) with the SC. I'm not sure what tire to go woth.

Thanks Cliff

I am going to put these rims on my car with the Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS Pole Postion tires on my car. They are the best rated "all season" high performance tires on TireRack.com I think those rims will make the car even hotter looking than it is now LOL.

asa_ar9wi_mfbari_ci3_l1.jpg

100_0108.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your info. I intend to follow your example when my run flats need replacement. I was at Costco today, and their price for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ is $269.99. This includes mounting, balancing, and rotation for the life of the tire.

I checked with Costco and they gave me a bit of a hard time about replacing run-flats with non-run flats without a spare. I don't have a spare, so am at the mercy of the road and would have to call AAA with a flat. Some folks say they are carrying the tire-seal product, but I believe the Discount Tire warranty is voided is the premature flat is "fixed" with a tire seal product. Anyway, all food for thought.

Thanks Cliff

I am going to put these rims on my car with the Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS Pole Postion tires on my car. They are the best rated "all season" high performance tires on TireRack.com I think those rims will make the car even hotter looking than it is now LOL.

asa_ar9wi_mfbari_ci3_l1.jpg

100_0108.jpg

Here is a pic of my car with the new rims and tires on it. Sorry about the crappy pic but.....

100_0165.jpg

I checked with Costco and they gave me a bit of a hard time about replacing run-flats with non-run flats without a spare. I don't have a spare, so am at the mercy of the road and would have to call AAA with a flat. Some folks say they are carrying the tire-seal product, but I believe the Discount Tire warranty is voided is the premature flat is "fixed" with a tire seal product. Anyway, all food for thought.

I replaced my run flats 3 years ago and ran 45,000 pleasurable miles with a can of fix-a-flat and an electric powered air pump in the spare tire well. Never needed to use them. I just replaced those tires last week with another set of non-run flat tires. Couldn't get me back into run flats for anything. Porsche does not equip their cars with run flats or spares. Just an air pump.

• 3 weeks later...

Like most, I hated the Portenza's as well but I did not want to go without run flats and a spare given that my wife is the primary driver of the SC. I also wanted an All-Season ultra-high performance tire rather than a summer tire. I ended up going with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M DSST CTT at $320 on Tire Rack. They seem a good compromise so far. They still have some of the harshness typical to run flats but are not so harsh as the Portenza's. I also give up some summer performance for better winter performance. No more tire thump on cold mornings like I found with the rock hard Portenza's (until they warmed up a little). Consumer Reports also found the Dunlop had longer tread life than the typical run flat although I did get nearly 35K out of the Portenza's which seems better than most.

But I do agree the Pilot Sports are a great tire if you want to live without run flats. I've had them on my Porsche and they were great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks, (This is for all the ladies who own a sc430 or wives who drive their husband's sc430)

I've written about this about a month or two ago, but never saw it posted. This is about TIRES. I've had my red sc430 for one year and had religiously kept detailed print outs on all the non run flat tires that people were purchasing to keep from using the run-flats. Now what I'm about to say made me throw the file away and forget about ditching the run-flats. Let me tell you the events that changed my mind: I am a middle aged female and was driving home one night at midnight from out of town and was about 200 miles from home. It was super foggy on the interstate & visibility was only about 1/4 of a mile. Because of that, I didn't see something in the road until I ran over it, it was too late to swerve and needless to say, it caused my run-flat to go flat. Sure I also have a spare, but.......I was so scared of stopping on the shoulder to change it, one, someone could hit me because of the fog and two, a bad person could potentially harm me. It was midnight and again, it was incredibly foggy. I made the decision to drive home on that run-flat (it was damaged beyond repair anyway) and guess what, I drove over 100 miles going 50 mph and my car never swerved or fish-tailed or made noise or nothing. I would have never known that I had a flat except for the flashing low tire light and beeping noise. I was sooooo relieved that I was going to be home with my family and be home SAFE. Sure I had to buy another run-flat tire ($450) but I feel my life was worth spending that $450. A can of fix-a-flat would not have helped. It was a huge gash and wouldn't hold air because I tried. If I had switched to the Michelin Pilots I would have been stranded on the side of the interstate out in rural country at midnight and Lord knows what could have happened, I was alone and scared. Now I know that I will never have a fear of being stranded on the side of the interstate because I'm keeping my run-flats.

Hi Folks, (This is for all the ladies who own a sc430 or wives who drive their husband's sc430)

I've written about this about a month or two ago, but never saw it posted. This is about TIRES. I've had my red sc430 for one year and had religiously kept detailed print outs on all the non run flat tires that people were purchasing to keep from using the run-flats. Now what I'm about to say made me throw the file away and forget about ditching the run-flats. Let me tell you the events that changed my mind: I am a middle aged female and was driving home one night at midnight from out of town and was about 200 miles from home. It was super foggy on the interstate & visibility was only about 1/4 of a mile. Because of that, I didn't see something in the road until I ran over it, it was too late to swerve and needless to say, it caused my run-flat to go flat. Sure I also have a spare, but.......I was so scared of stopping on the shoulder to change it, one, someone could hit me because of the fog and two, a bad person could potentially harm me. It was midnight and again, it was incredibly foggy. I made the decision to drive home on that run-flat (it was damaged beyond repair anyway) and guess what, I drove over 100 miles going 50 mph and my car never swerved or fish-tailed or made noise or nothing. I would have never known that I had a flat except for the flashing low tire light and beeping noise. I was sooooo relieved that I was going to be home with my family and be home SAFE. Sure I had to buy another run-flat tire ($450) but I feel my life was worth spending that $450. A can of fix-a-flat would not have helped. It was a huge gash and wouldn't hold air because I tried. If I had switched to the Michelin Pilots I would have been stranded on the side of the interstate out in rural country at midnight and Lord knows what could have happened, I was alone and scared. Now I know that I will never have a fear of being stranded on the side of the interstate because I'm keeping my run-flats.

Yes that is something you have to factor in the equation. But I doubt you will ever have that situation again.

Yes that is something you have to factor in the equation. But I doubt you will ever have that situation again.

Duh! You must be a man based on what you said in your statement. One time was enough for me. Remember I was addressing other women, sharing my story making them aware of a potential crises if they get rid of their run-flats. I live in a metro/rural area and I don't want to be limited in my driving wondering whether or not I'll be safe, late at night, when (not if) I have a flat tire. Please understand that me, being a woman, even having extensive martial arts training and a gun permit to carry a gun (which I do) would definitely rather not have to deal with a bad situation than to have to chance getting KILLED because I was at the wrong place, at the wrong time. If we are going to have these cars, a decision has to made when using/not using run-flats based, not just on expense but also SAFETY. This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are many different thoughts regarding this issue(run-flats vs non run-flats). I'm glad this happened because it happened for a reason....... I made it home SAFE because of my car's run-flat TIRES.

• 2 weeks later...