Venting The Trunk

17LexusOwner

I have a '91 Lexus LS400.

I want to put a port that goes from the trunk into the cabin area. Reason being is that my back deck rattles ALOT from the pressure my subs make in the trunk. That rattling is very annoying and cuts my sound quality. I figure if there are vents so that the pressure can release, it will lessen the rattling and at the same time make you feel the subs more while driving. (This car is already so sound-proofed that it deadens the kick from the subs.

My first idea was to drill one hole on the left side and right side of the stock sub area through the back deck into the trunk.

My second idea was to put a port in the back of the armrest of the back seat. (when you pull down the armrest it is the part behind it) Once I looked in my trunk though I found out quickly that would be a hard thing to do since the gas tank is in the way.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

The purpose behind sealing a sub woofer is to make sure you get sub-harmonics in the first place. The sound is actually coming from the surface of the speaker and not from inside the trunk. You will get much poorer performance if you vent the trunk. My guess is that you have a torn sub-woofer diaphragm or have loose hardware. The torsion bars (look like coat hangers) that hold the trunk up could also be at fault.

The pressure wave you are talking about does not rattle anything, the movement of the sub as it cycles back and forth is what is shaking your trunk parts.

If you trust your buddy, have him lock you in the trunk and see what is rattling! LOL, no don't do that. Just kidding!

Good luck! :D

A vented box (which I have) makes the sub pressure wave much more intense. So why wouldn't a vented trunk make the pressure wave more intense inside the car.

Also any idea about how I can stop my back deck from rattling. I've got foam inserts in the cracks right now and it helps a little.

I believe IS400 was referring to the stock subwoofer.. If you vent the the trunk for the stock subwoofer, you WILL in fact lose bass performance as the trunk acts as the BOX for the subwoofer.

Since you have an additional sub enclosure in your trunk. You WILL benefit from having a port open from your trunk into the vehicle.. I would recommend removing the stock sub and let that be your port... Your Vented box is way out performing your stock sub..

I got my sub out, now i just have to "subify" the grill that was covering the sub. I'm taking that fabric off because it flexes and makes a racket.

Any idea how to disconnect the wires so you can take that entire 3rd light harness off. There is a connector but it doesn't seem to want to let loose. Kinda seems like I am trying to pull it apart that wrong way.