92 Ls400 Problems

Bws_4Life

I Have A 92 Lexus Ls400 And when i drive it for a while it will slip out of gear ..it shifts all good and smoth but then it just is like its in nutrel i changed the transmission fuild and cleaned the fillter and its still dose it....and some times when i turn my lights on my reverse light comes on and its gets stuck in a low gear and wont shift out and my engine check light and a few other lights wont come on...............................anyone know what is rong with it?

This same type of problem happened to me about a year ago. This smooth world class car started balking, cutting out, lurching, wild rpms, dash flickering, just seemed ready for the junk yard. It happened all of a sudden. No warning.

I thought the engine was toast.

Now it's smooth as silk w/ 255,000 miles on it.

Open the trunk. On the left side you will see a wire harness on the left hinge. After repeated openings and closings the wires inside that harness become fatigued and frayed. Then they start shorting out. Then sputtering, stalling, and everything you describe. This is a design flaw and lexus knows it.

If this describes your problem, then remove the plastic bracket on the left hinge, strip down the harness, untwist all the wires, re-connect, then re-tape.

Make sure to leave off the hinge bracket that ensures tension on the harness. Just let the whole mess swing free and loose.

In my case, problem solved, and no spending thousands of dollars in diagnostics, parts, and tech snafus.

Best of all, it's free. Takes about 30 minutes.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=90&t=50087

I agree with Alexander. After doing mine I got a much firmer brake feel too.

Case in point, after the trunk wire repair I nailed the brakes to avoid an accident and the ABS activated (dry pavement.)

Problem is that my mom was in the passenger seat and she was not buckled in! Kind of funny and tragic seeing her whole body jammed into the footwell.

She does not forget her seatbelt anymore! Before the repair I could not upset a cup of coffee with full braking. :P

• 2 weeks later...