What Oil Do You Use?

After talking recently with the service manager of my local Lex dealer, I am interested in what other 460 owners are using in thier oil changes. The manager I spoke with said that synthetic is mandatory but that 5/30 should be fine with no adverse effects. Now we all know that Mobil 1 comes in that weight, is a high quality product and is quite reasonable to purchase (especially on sale at Costco).

Are there many here who are already using this product rather than the much more costly prescribed oils? What guidance have you received from Lex service people? I am searching for a common sense approach to the issue not an ideological and obsessive one. Thanks!

After talking recently with the service manager of my local Lex dealer, I am interested in what other 460 owners are using in thier oil changes. The manager I spoke with said that synthetic is mandatory but that 5/30 should be fine with no adverse effects. Now we all know that Mobil 1 comes in that weight, is a high quality product and is quite reasonable to purchase (especially on sale at Costco).

Are there many here who are already using this product rather than the much more costly prescribed oils? What guidance have you received from Lex service people? I am searching for a common sense approach to the issue not an ideological and obsessive one. Thanks!

Since you live in PA, I'd recommend Penzoil 0w20 synthetic. If you do more than just city driving, you can run it 7,500 miles and still maintain warranty compliance.

I got two cases of Mobil1 since it was on sale. I usually use Mobil1 but I've also used Castrol and Amsoil when i can come across them. I recently discovered one of my friends is actually an amsoil dealer and he'll give it to me for whatever he pays... I'd say mobil1 is more than adequate considering the dealers usually use dino oil anyway...

Since you live in PA, I'd recommend Penzoil 0w20 synthetic. If you do more than just city driving, you can run it 7,500 miles and still maintain warranty compliance.

Just now I can buy at Costco a qt of Mobil 1 (synthetic) for 3.75. What would the 0w20 cost??

• 4 weeks later...

I read this post last week and happen to bring my 08 LS460 in for it's 100 mile check, I mentioned this to the service manager about Lexus recommending "Synthetic oil" and even ships them from factory with Synthetic in the car. He imediately told Not True, comes through with 5w30 and all oil changes are done with 5w30, unless the owner requests and pays the difference for it!

To verfiy I contacted Lexus Cust service who said the exact same thing, these vehilcles do not come from the factory with anything other than 5w30 in the oil pan, main reason $$$ too expensive, I would take whatever that manger tells in future with a grain of salt.

I have used Synthetic oils in the past and favor Castrol Sentec over Mobil 1. :o

I really think they're wrong. 5W30 could still be synthetic obviously...

How does it alter the equasion when one lives in a moderate climate. I probably never start my car when it is less than 20F. Garage kept, mostly it is 60F when I start it. Does that mean that I have less need for 00w-20? Is, then, Mobil1, 5-30 just as good a bet given our less severe climate just outside Philly? Your take?

Lexus specifies 5W30, so thats what I use. If they thought that a different viscosity was important in a specific climate...they'd have specified that IMHO.

I am not sure they specify 5-30; my oil cap does not have that designiation. Are we speaking of the 460 engine?

it will specify what you need right in your owners manual..

I'm thinking stay with the 5W-30. Inside an engine, oil is in a Catch-22 scenario: it has to seal rings and valves, but it also must reduce friction. In simple terms, oil has to accomplish two functions that have directly opposite requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

You will never go wrong with synthetic oil, especially in cold or winter climates. 5W30 is a good weight unless you live a hot climate, then do 10W30. You pay for the higher synthetic cost by getting longer periods between oil changes, ie 7.5 to10k miles vs 3-5k for reg oil. The Type or brand of syn oil is pretty irrelevant unless you’re running rough conditions, towing, high RPM’s, taxi, dragsters, etc. Then by all means use top end stuff, Royal Purple, Mobile One, Red Line, but otherwise any major syn will work great. Its cleaner, less sludge build up, a little better gas mileage, and longer engine life if you’re the kind of person who keeps your car for 10 years.

Good luck,

Engineer for a major oil company.

• 11 years later...

Word of advice.  Never put Royal Purple oil in a high mileage engine (i.e. 300,000+ miles).  I ignorantly found out the hard way what the consequences are.  A strong Chevolet 6.0 gas engine that sounds a mini snare drum!  How do we spell Chevolet again??  

Can Hear Every Valve Or Lifter Every Time

Just to be clear, I'm not dogging Royal Purple what so ever.  It is exceptional motor oil.  Works so well that it will free up any gummy carbon deposits in your motor and all that gunk gotta go somewhere! 

There is a Mobil 1 oil that is for engines having more than 75,000 miles on them. 
Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 5 Quart - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Our 2006 Lexus RX400h has over 130,000 miles on it and since it doesn't use any (noticeable) oil between synthetic oil changes, I don't feel that this particular Mobil 1 formula is absolutely necessary. This year, since the pandemic has reduced our driving, I have changed the interval to once per year, which was about 5000 miles over the past year. Walmart always has great prices on jugs (as shown in the link) but Costco occasionally has a sale on the box of quarts.

• 3 weeks later...

In my local market, i am going with the total quartz full synthetic 5W30 2 gallons straight away, experience is much better than the shell (also 5w30) oil which i used earlier, how better? is because i feel that now the engine is running a much smoother if you carefully feel it

One note i would like to make that these days i am seeing the marketing is changed for the oil packaging cheaper oils are also hitting the market which are saying synthetic technology or synthetic blend (maybe not in the US), quite frankly have no idea whats the catch but i just avoid it anyways and pay little extra for the full synthetic

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Was in energy industry for years, and have friends and family still in it.  One in particular has more certifications in lubrication products than you can count, and he was there when Mobil first brought Mobil1 to market.  The proving of initial product offering was extensive, and billions of miles later in actual customer application shows the long term benefits of full synthetic oil products on engine life for gasoline and diesel engines (Delvac1 for diesel).  You can not go wrong with these products, and should follow the OEM suggestions as to 5W30.  Our family and business runs vehicles over 200,000 miles for gasoline engines and over 400,000 miles for diesel engines and have never had an oil related issue in over 20 years.