Can You Replace Avs Struts With Non Avs?

IlyaIlya

hey, My rear is starting to rattle like crazy, and on bumps+turns it throws the car to one side and other. I believe i need to replace rear struts and mounts.

I have 97 es300 with avs, can I replace with regular struts instead? Avs struts are 320 each + shipping,

thanks in advance

I have heard of people doing this without issue (other than a warning light in the dash coming on), but I have heard of more people having luck with sourcing used AVS equipped struts.

The 'rattle' in the rear is very common on ES300's due to worn sway bar bushings. That would be the first thing to check, for they are quite cheap and easy to replace. It could also effect the swaying of the vehicle over bumps. You may not need struts just yet.

I have heard of people doing this without issue (other than a warning light in the dash coming on), but I have heard of more people having luck with sourcing used AVS equipped struts.

The 'rattle' in the rear is very common on ES300's due to worn sway bar bushings. That would be the first thing to check, for they are quite cheap and easy to replace. It could also effect the swaying of the vehicle over bumps. You may not need struts just yet.

hey Thanks for reply. My sway bar bushing were replaced, and that did solve the noise rattle from back. But now the noise is very very heavy like something is really loose. I think the strut mounts are all messed up. As far as getting used, i think its a gamble. I might just replace with non AVS ones .

when car was checked last time, mechanic said one of stuts is leaking, when i go over bumps on turn my cars rear kind of jumps/slips from side to side. Not a great feeling, Hopefully thats the bad struts and not something else. The car sits just fine though and rides fine on nice road.

thanks

Oh man, if a strut is leaking, it's blown.... and it's done. Yes, used struts are a gamble, but some on here have had success with them. New non AVS struts are a sure-fire fix.

I've read in many places that struts are not in need of replacing unless they are blown... although I've replaced struts that are just 'dying' and not fully blown. If yours are leaking, then they are fully blown, and probably pretty rotten to drive around with, huh? I guess it's your choice of how you want to proceed with the struts; $130/each for non-AVS new replacements, or about the same price or less for low-mileage used with AVS.

Oh man, if a strut is leaking, it's blown.... and it's done. Yes, used struts are a gamble, but some on here have had success with them. New non AVS struts are a sure-fire fix.

I've read in many places that struts are not in need of replacing unless they are blown... although I've replaced struts that are just 'dying' and not fully blown. If yours are leaking, then they are fully blown, and probably pretty rotten to drive around with, huh? I guess it's your choice of how you want to proceed with the struts; $130/each for non-AVS new replacements, or about the same price or less for low-mileage used with AVS.

where can i get low milage used with avs?

You can check eBay... here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7997767078

Or you can always source replacements from a used parts locator like www.getusedparts.com or www.partlocator.com or www.seekautoparts.com or www.car-part.com or www.usedwreckingyards.com ...lots of options.

You may want to check and see what you can find, but if you never really use the AVS and are happy with just standard struts, you may want to go with something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-...p4506.m20.l1116

... or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-...p4506.m20.l1116

I suggest a complete assembly because if you are retrofiting with standard struts, I'm not sure what will fit up from the AVS system... plus, it sounds like your struts are seriously worn, and the mounts and plates are probably pretty worn, too, then. A full assembly makes replacement a snap.

Like I said, you've got some options.

Nope. For the full strut assembly in that link, you will need nothing but to install it. If your rattle is coming from anywhere in your original strut assembly, this new one will fully cure it. If your rattle is from control arms or other, then this strut assembly will help quell it, but not resolve it. That's something you or a good mechanic will need to pinpoint, but it sounds like your struts are blown, so that's a good indication much of the noise is probably coming directly from them. This assembly comes with everything from the strut mount to the spring right down to the perch isolators... it's a remove-n-replace install assembly. These are nice because if you are mechanically inclined, you can do the replacement yourself and you won't need to struggle with using a spring compressor or anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, finally installed new kyb struts and mounts. All rears ran me 400 dollars including parts and labor. I think its not too bad for 2. NOw I just need to replace a flex pipe. Mine is busted and making car sound like a race car lol. he quoted me 175, going to see if i can find cheaper.

BTW, no light came on after replacing avs with non avs struts. So i am a happy camper.

thanks for help