Musty Odor Coming From A/c Vents

Hi all,

I've just started noticing an odor coming from the A/C system immediately after start-up and lasting 30-45 minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm taking the 400 in for it's 45K service next week and would like to give the adviser some suggestions. The smell is a "musty" or mildew-like smell. Thanks!

its also likely you have mold growing on some part of your ac condensor, especially if you have the ac on all the time, and do not shut it off for a period prior to turning off the vehicle to let it dry out. the dealer can clean that out and apply a fungicide.

MRC, if you do a search you can find another thread on this subject. My personal solution has been to clean my cabin air filter frequently with compressed air and spray it with Lyson disinfectant before I reinstall. It works well for me although I do live in a fairly dry climate in AZ.

Tom

Thanks guys,

I just had the air filter replaced at 40K so I think that's out as a cause. I'm wondering if there's a plugged drain in the A/C system. That happened once in my VW GTI(last VW I'll ever purchase BTW). The mold in the condenser sounds plausible/probable. My kids Mazda 6 actually got a mouse nest established in the system and had to be thoroughly cleaned out. That smell really stunk coming out through the vents. I don't think/hope that isn't my problem. Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated. Mark

I've noticed this on my car - just got it 2 weeks ago with just over 300 miles on it - so I don't think my air filter is the problem either. Being in the south it's still been necessary to run the a/c most of the time - even on the cold mornings we've had if I don't run the a/c with the defroster the windows fog up. But if I take it off of recirculate so it's fresh air coming in, the smell goes away after 10 minutes or so.