Car Hit, Nor No Heat

dscabicky

My 1990 LS400 (115K) was hit by a @#%*!? uninsured motorist 6 weeks ago. Front bumper, driver side headlight and fog light and amber lights destroyed. Left corner of hood curled back. Due to high deductible and age of car I had to put it back together myself with new and used parts. It's on the road again and running fine, except...no heat. Doesn't seem to be losing coolant and it's not overheating, but blows mostly cold air. If I let it run a long time the air gets lukewarm. Could be a coincidence and it needs a thermostat but I'm wondering if there was something damaged that I missed up front that could be affecting the heater.

My 1990 LS400 (115K) was hit by a @#%*!? uninsured motorist 6 weeks ago. Front bumper, driver side headlight and fog light and amber lights destroyed. Left corner of hood curled back. Due to high deductible and age of car I had to put it back together myself with new and used parts. It's on the road again and running fine, except...no heat. Doesn't seem to be losing coolant and it's not overheating, but blows mostly cold air. If I let it run a long time the air gets lukewarm. Could be a coincidence and it needs a thermostat but I'm wondering if there was something damaged that I missed up front that could be affecting the heater.

I would think that you have air in the heater lines/core causing a low or no flow siuation. need to force the air out and you should have heat.

I would think that you have air in the heater lines/core causing a low or no flow siuation. need to force the air out and you should have heat.

No moisture inside car. I replaced the thermostat, which didn't help. I'll try squeezing air out of the lines.

By the way...what's the best way to do that? Take cap off overflow tank and squeeze the hoses?

I agree with Muskmelon. I 'burped' mine after a timing belt repair by taking off the access cover by the thermostat and ran the car while adding more coolant until she could take no more. It is messy, but I had no heat like yours until I got the air out of the top of the engine. It took about ten minutes of back and forth on full blower and heat while waiting for the theromostat to open up and accept coolant properly.

There has to be an easier way but that is what I did and it worked under cold outside DIY conditions.

By the way...what's the best way to do that? Take cap off overflow tank and squeeze the hoses?

I agree with Muskmelon. I 'burped' mine after a timing belt repair by taking off the access cover by the thermostat and ran the car while adding more coolant until she could take no more. It is messy, but I had no heat like yours until I got the air out of the top of the engine. It took about ten minutes of back and forth on full blower and heat while waiting for the theromostat to open up and accept coolant properly.

There has to be an easier way but that is what I did and it worked under cold outside DIY conditions.

Hate to pepper you with questions but by the access cover do you mean the cover with two bolts that hold the thermo in or something else?

Hate to pepper you with questions but by the access cover do you mean the cover with two bolts that hold the thermo in or something else?

Yes that is the cover I used.