Cell Phone For '04 Ls430 Bluetooth

beartrap

Just got me new LS430 and wanted to find out from others if anyone is using the Bluetooth wireless feature for their cell phone? If so, does anyone know what phones are recomended to work with the car? I've heard from come that you MUST purchase the phone from a Lexus dealer and that they are way overpriced! Any input or experiences with this feature would be most appreciated!

Thanks, Beartrap

I am using the SE T616 cell phone with Bluetooth and it works great. I got it almost two months ago at LetsTalk.com and basically I got the phone for free. I got a cheat sheet from my dealer on how to install 3 different phones (supported by Lexus) using BT and I used that guide to setup my system.

thanks! Are you based in the UK? I was thinking so since you mentioned BT! Glad to hear it actually works unlike many people with BMW 745's! I'm located in NY and have Verizon cell service and wish to retain it and my number. Guess I'll need to contact the dealer for some details on this. Not too much listed on the Internet about this stuff for Lexus. Who makes the SE T616 phone???

Thanks for the web site! This sucks! No way am I using AT&T Wireless. Their service sucks in thr NYC area as compared to verizon. So does this mean I cna not use the Bluetooth wireless feature in my new car without going with AT&T??? It was one of the main reasons why I got the Nav systems. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nav and the Levinson stereo, BUT, I would really have loved it if I could get a phone from verizon that worked!

Do you think (or does anyone know) if Verizon will come out with a phone that interfaces with Bluetooth and the Lexus??? I would imagine they plan to offer this sometime soon since its becoming more popular... Thanks again for your advice. How do you like the phone?

I am not sure what verizons plans are concerning bluetooth. I was a Sprint customer and they drug their feet concerning bluetooth so I am with T-mobile and so far I really like both the phone and the service. Verizon and Sprint have both lost a lot of customers over bluetooth and I think it will continue.

Thanks for the web site! This sucks! No way am I using AT&T Wireless. Their service sucks in thr NYC area as compared to verizon. So does this mean I cna not use the Bluetooth wireless feature in my new car without going with AT&T??? It was one of the main reasons why I got the Nav systems. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nav and the Levinson stereo, BUT, I would really have loved it if I could get a phone from verizon that worked!

Do you think (or does anyone know) if Verizon will come out with a phone that interfaces with Bluetooth and the Lexus??? I would imagine they plan to offer this sometime soon since its becoming more popular... Thanks again for your advice. How do you like the phone?

You need to find a bluetooth phone that supports Verizon's air interface (wireless technology) which is almost certainly CDMA. If you find a phone that is both CDMA and Bluetooth you will be golden. One more thing you may want to check with Verizon and make sure they can update PRL's (Preferred Roaming List) in the phone you choose. PRL's control what carrier you roam on for example when you travel to Chicago Verizon has a preferred roaming partner which gives them a cheap rate which may be the A or B carrier or a PCS carrier. If you don't roam on the right preferred carrier you may be hit with huge ($3 a day and $.99) per day and minute charges. Good luck

UNFORTUNATELY there is no CDMA compatible Bluetooth phone on the market right now. My father was upset about this when he got his 04 because his company furnishes him a phone through Sprint. They worked it out and he got a Sony Ericcson phone that works well.

Good news is a CDMA Bluetooth phone will be out for Verizon in a couple months. So best thing to do probably is sit tight and wait, check out www.phonescoop.com

Anyone who tells you the phone must be bought from Lexus is full of it. Thats the whole point of the Bluetooth system. ANYTHING that is Bluetooth will be compatible. Even a Bluetooth keyboard...

Good idea, look around ebay I saw several of them for sale there. Good phone to tide you over until the new Bluetooth phone for CDMA is released for Sprint and Verizon.

Like I said before, ANYTHING with Bluetooth should work.

thanks, to you all. Got a 2004 sc430 4 weeks ago have been trying to get a handfree phone ever since. Dealer and parts dept in New orleans first told me there was no built in system then once I called lexus customer service to verify - dealer is now quoting me around $3000- 2000 for phone and up to $1000 for "installation" of something that is apparently already there.

I already have Att and Cdma is not for me I travel in the countryside a lot and the service won't be availble there for a while (Louisiana after all). However I am familiar with blue tooth I have macs use it to sync my palm no problems

So SW03ES and xBmwMan are you really saying I can just go to ATT upgrade to a bluetooth phone and it will work with the system in the car. No parts need to be added to the car? does the dealership have to activate the bluetooth system or something? How can I get this cheat sheet. I really need this handfree to happen but i don't trust my dealership and the cost is ridiculous! Please help, thanks ktderby

ktderby, I do not believe that the sc430 has bluetooth in it, at least I haven't heard that it does. I think only the '04 LS430 has bluetooth capability, much like XM radio is only available on the LS as well. If you have bluetooth capability in your SC then, yes just get a bluetooth capable phone, like the SE T616 or one of the Nokia's and it sets up much like any BT device does.

Thanks, its amazing how hard it seems to be to get a straight answer on this I will call lexus customer service again and see what I can find out

checked out lets talk announcement and I assumed that the mobile phone system was the same in all. probably wrong. Dealer told me I had bluetooth then told me i didn't have cell phone prewiring. lexus web site has nothing.

In a perfect world also would like xm or sirrus radio and a way to hook up my ipod to sound system other than a fm transmitter

I'm in electronics hell.

but I love and adore my car

all this electronics is just lagnaippe anyway but I will find out whats up. thanks again kt

Below is Verizon' s response to an inquiry; :angry:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth Technology with

Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer products to support

this technology. However, our Research and

Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth

technology with our products and services.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and

services, please click on "E-mail Updates" from the "Support" tab

located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com home page.

As part of our Worry Free Guarantee your satisfaction is guaranteed on

any equipment you purchase from us. Please write to us again through

www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Chris

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

I have Sony/Ericson T610 with T-Mobile and it works perfectly with my 2004 Lexus LS430. Neat stuff.

You do not have to buy your mobile phone from Lexus. I had the T610 before I took delivery of my LS430.

• 5 months later...

I am in the same situation as a Verizon customer.

Solution; I just ordered a Sony Erikson T608 originaly sold for Sprint and no longer made. Being a CDMA phone it can be activated on Verizon as well. There are several new ones on E-Bay. The other option is to wait for the new Motorola v710 CDMA Blue Tooth Phone (Very Cool Full Featured Rig) soon to be released you can learn more at:

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/...h/default.shtml

You can add your name to a mailing list to be notified of it's release. FYI, my T608 will be up for sale when the v710 comes out for Verizon.