Need To Replace Rack & Pinion

GKLCPA

I have 114K on my 96 LS and need a new rack & pinion system installed. I took the car to my mechanic (Toyota) and he gives me a quote of $ 1600 for the part and another $ 500 to install. That's too much and I'm looking to economize here. Help me out by answering these questions please:

1) Where's the best place I can order this part myself at a savings?

2) What do you guys think about installing a remanufactured part rather than a new one? I got a quote on a remanufactured rack & pinion system from mylexparts.com of $ 400. Are they reputable?

3) Is $ 500 of labor to do this reasonable?

Thanks guys.

I changed the rack in my '95 LS because the steering feel was getting too loose (@ 300k+ miles). I was able to buy a rack from a '96 LS w/ 60k off of ebay for $150 (shipping is going to be high since the rack weighs something like 40lbs, and it is pretty big.). I think they were honest about the mileage since the rack looked like it was brand new. I remember reading mixed reviews about remans, so a low mile OEM unit was the simple choice for me. I changed the tie rod ends and rack bushings too; I think that added another $140 ($100 for the tie rods, and $40 for the two grommets). I should have changed the boots too since they had some minor tears, but it completely slipped my mind when I bought everything else. If you get the rack from Lexus, they are quite expensive. $1600 for a new OEM rack sounds a little high, but not too bad for not having ordered it yourself from an online Lexus parts department.

We changed the rack in about 2 hours taking our time (there's nothing difficult or time consuming about it. All you're doing is disconnecting the tie rod ends, power steering lines, solenoid, steering knuckle, brackets, and out it comes.). The most difficult part (which is not difficult at all) is getting the rack to come out since you have to find that sweet spot for it to slide out. Is an alignment included in that 500 of labor (my Lexus dealer charges $125 for an alignment which seems to be the going rate around here)? What is his hourly rate? Well, whatever it is, I'd give him no more than 2.5 hours + an alignment. Why do you need to replace the rack (114k seems like low mileage for this repair)?

Blake,

Their labor quote included the alignment.

I also thought the mileage was kinda low as I bought the car with only 37.5 miles on it about two years ago. Basically, I was getting a high pitched noise when I was turning the wheels in a tight circle and the feel of the steering did not feel quite right. Anyway, when I took the car in, the service guy checked the PS fluid and found that it was low and asked me if I had seen any leaking, which I hadn't. His comment was that the "fluid had to be going somewhere" and had one of his guys check it out and they came back with the diagnosis that the rack needed to be replaced. I've had these guys do work on my car before (a local Toyota dealer), so I generally trust them to tell me the real deal, but it does seem like the miles are just too low for the rack to be a problem. What do you think?

I changed the rack in my '95 LS because the steering feel was getting too loose (@ 300k+ miles). I was able to buy a rack from a '96 LS w/ 60k off of ebay for $150 (shipping is going to be high since the rack weighs something like 40lbs, and it is pretty big.). I think they were honest about the mileage since the rack looked like it was brand new. I remember reading mixed reviews about remans, so a low mile OEM unit was the simple choice for me. I changed the tie rod ends and rack bushings too; I think that added another $140 ($100 for the tie rods, and $40 for the two grommets). I should have changed the boots too since they had some minor tears, but it completely slipped my mind when I bought everything else. If you get the rack from Lexus, they are quite expensive. $1600 for a new OEM rack sounds a little high, but not too bad for not having ordered it yourself from an online Lexus parts department.

We changed the rack in about 2 hours taking our time (there's nothing difficult or time consuming about it. All you're doing is disconnecting the tie rod ends, power steering lines, solenoid, steering knuckle, brackets, and out it comes.). The most difficult part (which is not difficult at all) is getting the rack to come out since you have to find that sweet spot for it to slide out. Is an alignment included in that 500 of labor (my Lexus dealer charges $125 for an alignment which seems to be the going rate around here)? What is his hourly rate? Well, whatever it is, I'd give him no more than 2.5 hours + an alignment. Why do you need to replace the rack (114k seems like low mileage for this repair)?

I would check the IAC valve which attaches to the PS pump. Have you noticed any white smoke? When this goes bad, the PS fluid gets sucked into the intake and burned. That would account for fluid going "somewhere" but not show as a leak.

Very common problem and I'll bet it could be yours. I agree, the mileage is too low for needing a rack.

Bob

I also thought the mileage was kinda low as I bought the car with only 37.5 miles on it about two years ago. Basically, I was getting a high pitched noise when I was turning the wheels in a tight circle and the feel of the steering did not feel quite right. Anyway, when I took the car in, the service guy checked the PS fluid and found that it was low and asked me if I had seen any leaking, which I hadn't. His comment was that the "fluid had to be going somewhere" and had one of his guys check it out and they came back with the diagnosis that the rack needed to be replaced. I've had these guys do work on my car before (a local Toyota dealer), so I generally trust them to tell me the real deal, but it does seem like the miles are just too low for the rack to be a problem. What do you think?
I agree with Lexus400 about the power steering pump air control valve being a possibility. It's a very easy repair.
IAC? IAC=IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE.....nowhere near the p/s pump bro
He's referring to the ps air control valve.

I've not noticed any white smoke, but the more I think about this, changing out the rack makes no sense. I think I'm going to talk directly with the Toyota mechanic who came to that conclusion to see how he arrived there.

Would you just recommend changing the valve and just see how it goes? Blake, you note that this is easy to do. Is there a tutorial around on how to do this?

I would check the IAC valve which attaches to the PS pump. Have you noticed any white smoke? When this goes bad, the PS fluid gets sucked into the intake and burned. That would account for fluid going "somewhere" but not show as a leak.

Very common problem and I'll bet it could be yours. I agree, the mileage is too low for needing a rack.

Bob

take it to another shop and get a second oppinion

Yeah. I'm going to do that. I may just take it to Lexus and pay them to check it out and tell me the deal. I won't have the work done there though

Blake, you note that this is easy to do. Is there a tutorial around on how to do this?
I don't believe there is. It's a 10 minute job at the most, and the gist of it is you unscrew the old one and put the new one in (kind of like changing a spark plug). The part number: 17630-16040 (it's $80 online). I noticed the white smoke mostly when I had it at WOT merging or passing.

Rebuilt they are 399$ online I believe, shouldn't be more then 2hrs labor at any normal shop to change it.

Blake, you note that this is easy to do. Is there a tutorial around on how to do this?
I don't believe there is. It's a 10 minute job at the most, and the gist of it is you unscrew the old one and put the new one in (kind of like changing a spark plug). The part number: 17630-16040 (it's $80 online). I noticed the white smoke mostly when I had it at WOT merging or passing.

Rebuilt they are 399$ online I believe, shouldn't be more then 2hrs labor at any normal shop to change it.

Yeah. I did a similar price check and saw that pricing. The guy I talked to wanted about $ 500 but would refund a couple of hundred once they got the core from the one I took out. For sure, $300 is better than $1600 for the part. Before I do anything, I'm gonna take the car to Lexus and have them check out the steering situation including looking at the items that a couple of people mentioned here. I really appreciate everyone's advice here and I'll check back in once I have more details.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the rack issue on my car.

I took the car to Lexus and had them check out. They came up with the same diagnosis as Toyota, so it looks like the rack is in fact leaking. I had a sidebar conversation with the actual mechanic who looked at the car, and he said that the leak is not that bad and that "fluid is cheaper, so if you only have to fill it up every couple of months or so, that ain't too bad". Looks like I'll be checking and refilling the fluid periodically until the leak gets worst. They quoted $ 1,100 to put in a remanufactured rack. I figure that's about double what it should cost

I've been getting some serious knocking up front when I go over bumps and Lexus is telling me that I also need new ball joints and wants $ 550.00 to replace them. That price includes the front end alignment. What do you guys think about that price?

Also, the dealer was very empty today. I spoke to the receptionist and inquired how business was and she said the sales and service have been extremely slow. Again, the place was almost empty and I noticed that they had primarily used cars in the showroom and only one new one. This is the only Lexus dealer in my area and they just built a huge showroom this past year. These guys are hurting for sure.

Also, the dealer was very empty today. I spoke to the receptionist and inquired how business was and she said the sales and service have been extremely slow. Again, the place was almost empty and I noticed that they had primarily used cars in the showroom and only one new one. This is the only Lexus dealer in my area and they just built a huge showroom this past year. These guys are hurting for sure.

Scary feeling that. You know when cars sales are off, the only place a dealership can look to for income is their service depts. You can imagine walking into a situation like that with the staff looking at you as if you had dollar signs posted all over you. And if you drive in with a Lexus, well ......

I've been getting some serious knocking up front when I go over bumps and Lexus is telling me that I also need new ball joints and wants $ 550.00 to replace them. That price includes the front end alignment. What do you guys think about that price?
That doesn't seem too bad--for the dealer. The parts are probably $85 each at the dealer + $130 for the alignment leaves you with $250 in labor which is a little more than 2 hours worth at the dealer. Ball joints are extremely easy to change, so I'd never pay the dealer $250 for this job, but for the dealer, that is reasonable.

Thanks Blake. That's what I was thinking as well. These guys seem to be desperate for business and I'm going to have them knock this out for me.

These guys just built a huge showroom last year that's empty of customers. The economy seems to be hitting them pretty bad which is probably why I got the pricing I got.

That doesn't seem too bad--for the dealer. The parts are probably $85 each at the dealer + $130 for the alignment leaves you with $250 in labor which is a little more than 2 hours worth at the dealer. Ball joints are extremely easy to change, so I'd never pay the dealer $250 for this job, but for the dealer, that is reasonable.