Diy Video: Magnefine Power Steering Filter Install

Hello all,

My friend who owns a 2001 GS300 was experiencing some power steering problems. There were all sorts of noises and it really just sounded like the power steering pump was crapping out.

I recommended for him to flush the power steering fluid as a first step, and then take it from there. He decided to go ahead and have me install a Magnefine power steering filter for him and I'm not sure if it was the flush or the filter, but the end result is a very well operating power steering system with no noise

here's the link to the video. A "watch in high quality" option should be come available shortly - I encourage you to use it.

http://eturkov.blogspot.com/2008/10/diy-20...fine-power.html

I always wondered if this was actually necessary... I guess its worth a shot, nothing to complex here.

yeah he just became a member on club lexus too and is trying to peddle them over there also. dont seem like a bad product but i guess unless your experiencing a problem with the factory power steering.....is there really a reason to mess with it? besides i mean for you to sell some product?

brian

I always wondered if this was actually necessary... I guess its worth a shot, nothing to complex here.

yeah he just became a member on club lexus too and is trying to peddle them over there also. dont seem like a bad product but i guess unless your experiencing a problem with the factory power steering.....is there really a reason to mess with it? besides i mean for you to sell some product?

brian

Awe, c'mon - you're making me look bad :) I actually first did one originally for the G35 and posted on those forums there. My main goal is to make this something that people are aware of to prevent premature steering system wear. It's one of those things you might catch yourself saying "damn, I wish I knew about it earlier."

Indeed the steering system is unfiltered, and putting a system like this in place is a really good idea for those of us that expect the most out of our vehicles in the long run.

Awe, c'mon - you're making me look bad :) I actually first did one originally for the G35 and posted on those forums there. My main goal is to make this something that people are aware of to prevent premature steering system wear. It's one of those things you might catch yourself saying "damn, I wish I knew about it earlier."

Indeed the steering system is unfiltered, and putting a system like this in place is a really good idea for those of us that expect the most out of our vehicles in the long run.

not my intentions at all to make u look bad, just stating the facts! u did just recently start a membership on clublexus and were posting about this same exact thing......u know most of us do jump back and forth from site to site to gain more info! n yes i saw the g35 video. you would just think that the engineers would have put one in if they were having problems with this in the long run! until your post i haven't ever heard ne1 mention a problem with it! i mean i know it supposed to be a "lifetime" fluid but sometimes things happen! you know my old 93 es300 still had oem power steering fluid in it and never had a problem! im not saying it doesn't happen im just saying, y mess with it if its doing fine? its not to much trouble to do just is it worth doing! maybe I'll have to try this! just by chance, since i know u sell these, how much are they?

brian

not my intentions at all to make u look bad, just stating the facts! u did just recently start a membership on clublexus and were posting about this same exact thing......u know most of us do jump back and forth from site to site to gain more info! n yes i saw the g35 video. you would just think that the engineers would have put one in if they were having problems with this in the long run! until your post i haven't ever heard ne1 mention a problem with it! i mean i know it supposed to be a "lifetime" fluid but sometimes things happen! you know my old 93 es300 still had oem power steering fluid in it and never had a problem! im not saying it doesn't happen im just saying, y mess with it if its doing fine? its not to much trouble to do just is it worth doing! maybe I'll have to try this! just by chance, since i know u sell these, how much are they?

brian

I do offer a "kit" that I put together myself, but I don't get a price break on the filters which I buy here:

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

The kit from me would include the filter, some hose clamps, and a J189 or better power steering hose. And of course phone tech support :) If you're a mega DIYer, I'd just get the filter from the site and pick up some hose and clamps at the local auto store.

I do offer a "kit" that I put together myself, but I don't get a price break on the filters which I buy here:

The kit from me would include the filter, some hose clamps, and a J189 or better power steering hose. And of course phone tech support :) If you're a mega DIYer, I'd just get the filter from the site and pick up some hose and clamps at the local auto store.

uh huh and how much is the kit again..........any difference in this and the 100 dollar performance filter? what size do you get these filters in......?

brian

uh huh and how much is the kit again..........any difference in this and the 100 dollar performance filter? what size do you get these filters in......?

brian

I think you were looking at the performance edition fancy one. I just use the plain $15 filter like this one:

R_series_filter.gif

Shipped I think they charge about $20. If you want me to ship it to you, I would have to buy this filter for $20, add clamps and hose, and reship it to you. Not going to list any specific prices since item cost can change in price, and I don't want to lock myself in. Feel free to email me or pm me though if you want me to get a kit together for you.

brian

Sorry, I just realized I didn't really answer your question.

No, there is no difference between the regular $15 filter and the fancy one. The fancy one is just that - fancy.

The size you will need for the power steering system is 3/8"

brian

Sorry, I just realized I didn't really answer your question.

No, there is no difference between the regular $15 filter and the fancy one. The fancy one is just that - fancy.

The size you will need for the power steering system is 3/8"

i guess im gonna be the guinea pig here? p.m. sent. u know kit would be better (as you have already done this if you just cutt the hose and had it sized already for us (some of us are lazy) hahaha

Funny enough i did this 6 or 8 years ago with my ES300 then with my LS400 both on the transmission and the power steering line.

No noticable difference from new fluid to new filter .

If feels new every time i change either one as the new fluid cleans the lines and the filter will catch the rubber debris from the inside of hoses and seals.

The filter is the same as a wix inline transmission filter for about $5-10 . I buy bulk and keep them on hand to change when needed.

Now if i actually removed the screen from the variable assist and cleaned that it would really help but i am too lazy .

btw i have a post with pics of it done to my ls somewhere on here.

well feel free to post them pics if you can find them! :cheers:

well im not here to knock anyone or anything they do but after getting a price for a "kit" from him, my personal opinion is just go to a hardware store or car parts store buy some clamps for cheap (only need 2) and either a car parts store or a aeronautical store (or anyplace that has aeronautical fittings) and pick up the hose! shouldn't cost you more than 10-15 bucks and hose will be most expensive piece! then go buy your own filter and if your gonna do this "mod" do it that way and save yourself some $! sorry bythabay i just cant justify paying for 40 for the filter, 2 hose clamps, and a uncut hose! its kinda ludicrous!

haha thats funny i stumbled upon the forum u were in years ago when i was comparing 5w-30 to 10w-30 for someones post today. post # 4 http://www.yotatech.com/f2/5w-30-versus-10w-30-oil-35693/

brian

Brian,

First let's keep in mind that I am not TRYING to sell anything. You asked me:

"since i know u sell these, how much are they?"

I explained to you that I would have to order the filter from Magnefine for the same price you would be paying yourself.

As I stated in the PM I sent you earlier, the filter shipped from Magnefine is ~$20 (15+ tax and shipping). The clamps and hose could probably be bought for around $5-$6. The trouble I would have to go through to package, ship, and follow-through is an inconvenience to me, hence I believe $20 for shipping, handling, clamps, and hose, is very reasonable.

Like I said earlier, I encourage people to buy their own hose and clamps - but there will always be those that would just like the whole thing sent to them in one easy package.

Again, I want you to understand I am not trying to sell anything, I am only offering the kit because I believe in the product and I know sometimes people can be uncertain about which products to purchase.

FYI all threads started can be accessed by clicking on the members name .

I have alot of posts but not that much personal threads.

Here is the post on my ls400

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=42213&hl=

Here is the other one from my ES300.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=17759&hl=

You can buy a kit from ford or others online and it only needs 1 filter as it comes with clamps and 1 peice of hose. The ford one comes with all sorts of couplers and are on ebay every so often.

Brian,

First let's keep in mind that I am not TRYING to sell anything. You asked me:

"since i know u sell these, how much are they?"

I explained to you that I would have to order the filter from Magnefine for the same price you would be paying yourself.

As I stated in the PM I sent you earlier, the filter shipped from Magnefine is ~$20 (15+ tax and shipping). The clamps and hose could probably be bought for around $5-$6. The trouble I would have to go through to package, ship, and follow-through is an inconvenience to me, hence I believe $20 for shipping, handling, clamps, and hose, is very reasonable.

Like I said earlier, I encourage people to buy their own hose and clamps - but there will always be those that would just like the whole thing sent to them in one easy package.

Again, I want you to understand I am not trying to sell anything, I am only offering the kit because I believe in the product and I know sometimes people can be uncertain about which products to purchase.

but u r on here trying to peddle and sell them man! dude im not knocking you or anything your doing in fact after all the complaining and etc i will still (maybe) be getting a kit from you! i just want everyone to know the facts before they start thinking this is some miracle cure!

FYI all threads started can be accessed by clicking on the members name .

I have alot of posts but not that much personal threads.

i know u can but i didnt wanna scroll through 8 pages or more! :) so what do you think SK? is this a worthwhile "mod" to do if your not having any problems with the power steering? or should i say is this a worthwhile precautionary thing to do?

It is $15 if he makes a kit and makes $5 big deal , he gives it as one option and posed it to us to decide.

He will not get rich from the idea and is not trying to with its price point. It is not used products so his time is at least worth $5.

It is worth it and the only problem is when the filter might get plugged. It does however have a bypass valve for that problem if it occurs.

Extra filtration and an additional magnet are never a bad thing.

I know when to change mine when i start my car cold in winter it will either shift slowly or the steering is hard to turn.

It is $15 if he makes a kit and makes $5 big deal , he gives and option and posed it to us to decide.

He will not get rich from the idea and is not trying to with its price point. It is not used products so his time is at least worth $5.

It is worth it and the only problem is when the filter might get plugged. It does however have a bypass valve for that problem if it occurs.

Extra filtration and an additional magnet are never a bad thing.

I know when to change mine when i start my car cold in winter it will either shift slowly or the steering is hard to turn.

i know it wasnt about how much he made. what do u mean might get plugged? guess im gonna be trying this shortly!

brian

Like any filter it will fill up with the sediment that the stainer in the pan cannot collect.

So it will get blocked, It is not like a normal high pressure line so it starts to shift sluggishly when it is blocked. If the line had enough pressure it would pressure the release valve and by pass the filter.

Actually this is called selling. It's a tactic, different from the other tactics. What do you think, we're stupid?

The only power steering filter I have used is to hang a small magnet - the ones used to latch cabinet doors is good because they cost a dollar and have a hole in them- in the reservoir and wipe it off every now and then. Removes metal particles. Everything else in the oil is removed by CHANGING it, if it ever becomes necessary.

SRK , no need to berate the guy .

BTW changing oil will remove most containments that are suspended in the fluid.

Problem is most of the debris is from the lining of hoses and seals , they usually redeposit them selves . So just like a heart attack blocks arteries these block lines as the fluid is allowed to carry the debris around until it finds something to attach itself to somewhere else. The filter stops this from happening as it gets a one time circulation before being caught in the filter.

SRK , no need to berate the guy .

BTW changing oil will remove most containments that are suspended in the fluid.

Problem is most of the debris is from the lining of hoses and seals , they usually redeposit them selves . So just like a heart attack blocks arteries these block lines as the fluid is allowed to carry the debris around until it finds something to attach itself to somewhere else. The filter stops this from happening as it gets a one time circulation before being caught in the filter.

he is right though. it is still called selling. BUT neways back on point.....

Like any filter it will fill up with the sediment that the stainer in the pan cannot collect.

So it will get blocked, It is not like a normal high pressure line so it starts to shift sluggishly when it is blocked. If the line had enough pressure it would pressure the release valve and by pass the filter.

im confused by this paragraph! so if it becomes clogged what do you mean by "IF THE LINE HAD ENOUGH PRESSURE it would pressure the release valve and bypass the filter" so wouldnt it be just like u NEVER had it on neways. how do u prevent this?

brian

If the filter gets plugged the bypass valve is released by pressure. Any good filter has this including the oem Toyota ones.

So if it is plugged it shifts slowly when the weather is cold outside. So you know when to change it.

The transmission line does not have enough pressure to press the release valve in so it shifts poorly instead.

If the filter gets plugged the bypass valve is released by pressure. Any good filter has this including the oem Toyota ones.

So if it is plugged it shifts slowly when the weather is cold outside. So you know when to change it.

The transmission line does not have enough pressure to press the release valve in so it shifts poorly instead.

so do u have one installed on the tranny too? is it the same filter type?

brian