Transmission Problem?

Saxman2726

For the last several months, my 1992 LS 400 seems to start out in a lower gear, take too long to downshift and then decelerates like it was in a lower gear when I take my foot off the gas. It takes more RPM to get the thing moving to normal street speed and is drinking gas like mad. Problem is getting worse.

Repair guy says the transmission seems OK, but he can't figure it out after 5 days. Clues?

"Start out in a lower gear"? There isn't any gear lower than 1st. Could you elaborate? Are you saying that 1st gear is lower than "low"? Are you sure it's shifting upwards as you increase speed, or maybe is it refusing to? That would be very bad, but I can't imagine a mechanic not being able to spot something like that.

Do a little test. Give us about 10 various Speed/Gear/RPM readings and we can then compare with ours. I have a 92 also, so there will be a direct comparison.

Joe

For the last several months, my 1992 LS 400 seems to start out in a lower gear, take too long to downshift and then decelerates like it was in a lower gear when I take my foot off the gas. It takes more RPM to get the thing moving to normal street speed and is drinking gas like mad. Problem is getting worse.

Repair guy says the transmission seems OK, but he can't figure it out after 5 days. Clues?

First Check all of your filters, Air, Fuel, and the fluid levels. Make sure they're topp'd off and clean.

After warming up the oil (15min driving or idle), turn off the O/D button and Trac Button, and count the jumps. Do it slowly. If you count all four gears, there's nothing wrong with your transmission.

It might be a little sluggest because of the age, but I can't see anything wrong with it. You could try changing the transmission oil for better/cleaner lub.

"It takes more RPM to get the thing moving to normal street speed and is drinking gas like mad. Problem is getting worse. "

--There's a good chance one of your filters needs to be changed. Turn on the ECT button (leave the O/D, and Trac off). Floor it. If your RPM level is around 3500-4200, it's likely the ECU controller needs to be adjusted, or your fuel filter needs to be changed.

Try these out. PM me if you want some more tests.