90 Ls400 Strange Whine Under Hood

Tomblin813

Question: I purchased a 90 LS400 in August--it got down to 30 degrees last night, the first night it's really been cold since I've owned it. This morning when I started the car, I got a loud, strange whine from somewhere under the hood. Not sure where exactly it was coming from. When the car engine got warm, the whine stopped. Is this something I should be concerned about? ANy kind of new, strange noises kind of freaks me out. This is my first Lexus. Any help would ease a troubled mind. :unsure:

Question: I purchased a 90 LS400 in August--it got down to 30 degrees last night, the first night it's really been cold since I've owned it. This morning when I started the car, I got a loud, strange whine from somewhere under the hood. Not sure where exactly it was coming from. When the car engine got warm, the whine stopped. Is this something I should be concerned about? ANy kind of new, strange noises kind of freaks me out. This is my first Lexus. Any help would ease a troubled mind. :unsure:

Get a small lenth of pvc pipe about 2-3 feet long (1" dia is more than enough) and use it as a way to isolate where the whine is coming from. Take off the air cleaner snorkle (big wide plastic piece over radiator) first. Let car cold soak as you mentioned and start up and check all the pulleys and devices you see near where the noise is coming from. You are using the pipe as a way to hear what is going on in a certain area and isolate the rest of the noise. Hold it close to your ear and cover around it with your hands to make a better seal.

My guess is a bearing going bad on one of those pulleys. Remember your alternator is way low on the front passenger side so don't forget to check that one too. You will not be able to access it from underneath unless the splash guard has already been removed.

Mine ended up being the idler pulley in the middle. Sprayed it with that belt squeal stuff and the sound went away for a few seconds. You can try the same if you are CAREFUL! Good to peace of mind if you can find what it is and plan for the repair.

Hey, I had the same problem last winter. I live in San Diego so it never gets colder than about 50 degrees, but when I would start my car up (not garaged) in the morning there was a light moan/whistle noise, maybe even a squeaky noise. Then, after a minute or two it would go away just like you explained above. I had it looked at, and the guy said it was probably just a fan making the noise until it warmed up. I stopped worrying about it and it went away when it got warmer again. Personally, I would not worry about it unless you think its a huge problem. The noise hasn't come back yet, haven't heard it since January or February so 9 or so months.

Thanks guys! I really am not mechanically inclined... Come to find out, yesterday, I went out and it was doing it again, still loudly, and upon further investigation found its the power steering pump...apparently I have a leak. Not sure how much that's going to cost, until I find out exactly where the leak IS...hopefully it's just a hose...any ideas?

I'd do an exhaustive search on this board for 'power steering.'

These cars are notorious for P.S. problems.

Check the reservoir regularly and add fluid as needed until you fix the problem.

Make sure to watch the alternator because it will leak fluid all over the wiring since the pump sits above it. :unsure: Good luck!

As IS400 suggests, read up on power steering leaks. I would start with cleaning the solenoid on the rack. It seems that's the root for most P/S problems. To answer your question, yes there is a cover solution for the alt to prevent the fluid from soaking the windings. Here's one I've seen on the LOC gallery somewhere:

Alt2.jpg

Alt1.jpg

i recently replaced my ps pump and when draining the fluid i just put some regular hand towels ALL around the area under the pump so you basically could see no metal, then on top i used some shop rags, dripped a lot, in the end i inspected it and looked like not even a drop got anywhere down there. good luck

i also have had ps leak- but too little to worry about yet.

a friend told me about lucas ps fluid, and he said it works great to stop the leak.

i have tried some- will let u know what happens.

Oh please do! My boss suggested the same...I'm not sure how bad my leak is...I'm having to put more fluid in aproximately once every week to 10 days,

and I can't actually SEE any evidence of the lost fluid, so I guess it has to be a small one...and there have never been any wet spots or anything under the car...but you never know...I'm watching the fluid level to make sure it doesn't

run dry and basically just kind of waiting around for my husband to call someone to look at it and let me know for sure...if

the lucas fluid works, I will get some and see if it helps...

Oh please do! My boss suggested the same...I'm not sure how bad my leak is...I'm having to put more fluid in aproximately once every week to 10 days,

and I can't actually SEE any evidence of the lost fluid, so I guess it has to be a small one...and there have never been any wet spots or anything under the car...but you never know...I'm watching the fluid level to make sure it doesn't

run dry and basically just kind of waiting around for my husband to call someone to look at it and let me know for sure...if

the lucas fluid works, I will get some and see if it helps..

has anyone else used lucas additives? a friend used the transmission add and he said he realized a difference the 1st time..transmission drove much smoother. i have been adding the gas treatment, and i do notice a smoother ride, better mileage. i just added some ps additive, it is really thick stuff- hope it doesn't hurt anything.

the lucas fluid works, I will get some and see if it helps..

has anyone else used lucas additives? a friend used the transmission add and he said he realized a difference the 1st time..transmission drove much smoother. i have been adding the gas treatment, and i do notice a smoother ride, better mileage. i just added some ps additive, it is really thick stuff- hope it doesn't hurt anything.

thanks everyone for all your help...unfortunately, I guess I don't have to worry about power steering problems anymore, my husband totaled my Lexus this morning...he swerved to hit a deer and hit a bridge. The impact turned the car around 180 degrees and it hit the bridge again head on. Lot of damage...I'll post some pics when I get them...my husband is fine, though, thank God, walked away with only minor bangs from the airbag deployment...

thanks everyone for all your help...unfortunately, I guess I don't have to worry about power steering problems anymore, my husband totaled my Lexus this morning...he swerved to hit a deer and hit a bridge. The impact turned the car around 180 degrees and it hit the bridge again head on. Lot of damage...I'll post some pics when I get them...my husband is fine, though, thank God, walked away with only minor bangs from the airbag deployment...

Oh my! Sorry to hear that! Good to hear there were no injuries.

For what its worth now, my LS makes a growling sound when the PS fluid gets low, especially if its cool out. I think mine is leaking internally. <_<

0, so sorry to hear that...knowing lexus ...it'll probably still run.

YOu know...an internal leak makes more sense now that I think about it...that's probably why I never could SEE any fluid leakage evidence...

You know, as a matter of fact, after the car stopped (and come to find out later, he hit a tree, no wonder we had so much damage--he couldn't see over the airbag during the actual accident..) the car was actually still running when he came to a stop. And after turning it off to wait for the police to come, and then trying to get the key out to wait for the wrecker, it actually DID fire right back up again! Funny, huh?

YOu know...an internal leak makes more sense now that I think about it...that's probably why I never could SEE any fluid leakage evidence...

You know, as a matter of fact, after the car stopped (and come to find out later, he hit a tree, no wonder we had so much damage--he couldn't see over the airbag during the actual accident..) the car was actually still running when he came to a stop. And after turning it off to wait for the police to come, and then trying to get the key out to wait for the wrecker, it actually DID fire right back up again! Funny, huh?

U CAN'T SEEM TO STOP THESE CARS. MINE CONTINUED TO RUN AS ALL THE OIL DRAINED OUT OF IT AFTER A BAD OIL CHANGE. DIDN'T SEEM TO HURT THE ENGINE AT ALL.

I MUST HAVE AN INTERNAL LEAK TOO- I CAN'T SEE ANY ANYWHERE, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE LOW.