Squeaking Brakes

lexusguy

Recently bought a used 99 RX 300 with 27,000. I notice that the brakes squeak but not all the time. I have read a few comments that this is normal with the RX300 because Lexus puts them out with the cheap pads. Is this correct? Would anyone suggest going ahead and changing these or would they be fine to continue to use? I spoke to the dealer where i purchased the Lexus and he claims that is the way the Lexus comes and that is a common problem but he is willing to check out the brake pads for free. Any suggestions on a better brake pad than the factory defaults? I feel good that there is a club out there like this for us Lexus owners.

My brakes (Front) were squeeking too. They were also making a grinding noise! I set aside a couple of hours, bought the ceramic pads (They are worth the money)(not from Lexus but from the local auto store) and went to work. First let me say KUDOS! to the Lexus engineers. Changing the pads was a snap! Two bolts and the whole caliper slides off. Took me a quarter the time I expected. When I pulled the stock pads off there were 3 shims that were placed between the pads and the caliper. My new pads came with none so I didn't re-use them. I haven't noticed a problem and the squeek and grind is gone. The strange thing is the pads I replaced were still probably 60% so I don't know where the grinding sound was coming from. Also discs are fine. No wear marks. Conclusion; buy the ceramis pads, do it yourself and save a bunch.

Thanks for the info about the pads. I found a Technical Service Bulletin from Lexus about the 99 through 2000 Lexus that the pad support plate, shims and brake pads need to be replaced and have been modified since 2001. So when the dealer tells you this is normal, no it is not. This is something that is covered under warranty and Lexus is responsible for fixing this. What I can't understand is why doesn't anyone at Lexus know about this Technical Service Bulletin put out by Lexus or do they just find it easier to just tell people this is just part of owning a Lexus. Do not let them get away with this.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/99740413.html I also have the pdf that is out on the web with this info. Let me know if anyone needs this info to have your Service people to fix this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm a newbie! Have an '01 and had the squeaky brake issue checked several times. Told it was common....not a safety issue....blown off each time. Now the noise is horrible and have another service appt. Some research on edmunds'com showed at least one person eventually convinced Lexus to own the problem and a fix "kit" was done under warranty. Have any of you had squeaky brake work done under warranty? Thanks much.

I've got a 2000 RX and I havent done any brake work on it yet but I used to do the brakes on my Nissan all the time. My understanding is that the squeak/squeal is from the pads vibrating during braking and I used to get some small metal "clips" with my repacement Nissan pads that went over the backside of the pad and kept this from occurring. Is it possible that this is all thats at issue here? I have started to get a very intermittent squeak and I'm glad this has come up. Thanks also Ahdoman for the info on changing the pads I was worried it would be a big hassle.

Sounds like what I've been told.....If squeak is only in the morning and goes away when car warms up, then it's likely just condensation build-up......metallic brake dust.....yadda yadda, live w/it. At $40K new, I don't think I should have to! So, it goes in for service in 2 days and I'm sure it'll be a battle over who pays for it. Thanks for sharing!

I have a 99 RX300 that I purchased used this past summer, it had new pads and rotors on it but about a month ago it started to squeak mostly when cold. I removed the pads, cleaned the backs and the shims and coated the back side of the pads with Permatex Disc Brake Quiet, (its like a tacky spray paint) once dry reinstalled, and now quiet as can be.

Hope this Helps

M :cheers: arty

It all helped....

Grateful I found this site and so much useful info. My squealing brake problem has been resolved. After arming myself with my on-line research results, I took my '01 RX 300 back to the dealership. They finally agreed to do a full brake job at 35K miles under warranty re the TSB.....new pads, anti squeal shims and resurfaced the rotors.

THANKS ALL....

:cheers:

• 5 months later...

same problem here. what i did was change all the rotors all the way around Swirl the rotors with steal wool. lubericated and repacked calipers. and i used organic pads in the front and semi matiaic pads in the back. this also helped with the nose dive problem and inproved brakeing by at least 30%! thumbs down to Cermic pads They warp your rotors and overall Screw up your brakeing!