I Want To Add An Aftermarket System

danewber

I am in Honoloulu, Hawaii and I have been going to different stereo places trying to price a new system for my 1992 SC400. The guys I have talked to all seem to think its a very complicated job and will cost quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best system to fit the parameters of the SC400, or even the best place to get it done? I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so shops in that area might work too. Thank you.

Anything for the Lexus SC300/400 is a custom job when it comes to sound system upgrades. Even the speakers will have to be custom fit if memory serves me correctly. Whatever you do be sure you track down a reputable shop that is well known for it's custom installs (DO NOT go to the likes of Best Buy, Circuit City to get it done). I can't recommend any shops in Hawaii or San Francisco but I can tell you that the folks who generally stock JL Audio equipment (who also do installs) tend to be a cut above the rest. JL Audio requires stores to have a special license/certification to sell their equipment. Hence the reason why their list of dealers in any given area is significantly smaller than those who carry other makes.

I'm not an expert, but a small stereo shop put a new stereo in my 1993 SC300 a few years ago. He said he had to run new wires to power the new stereo, and had to run new wires to the existing speakers from the new stereo. He left the old wires in place so the old stereo could be reinstalled easily.

I am in Honoloulu, Hawaii and I have been going to different stereo places trying to price a new system for my 1992 SC400. The guys I have talked to all seem to think its a very complicated job and will cost quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best system to fit the parameters of the SC400, or even the best place to get it done? I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so shops in that area might work too. Thank you.

If it does not have a Nakamichi system, SC models prior to 95, you can use a toyota wiring adapter for the connections. You will have two harnesses one is for the interface with the AC lcd and the other is for the power. You will need to hook up the remote lead to the stock amp if you want it to work. You can easily fit a double din in there but you will have a gap of about an inch to inch 1/2. Sounds complicated but you will know what I am talking about when you are actually installing. Your volume button will not work and it will no longer show on the LCD. Good luck

Something you might want to think about is keeping your stock head unit (radio) and CD changer. With all the options out there today, keeping your factory head unit is a VERY attractive option. Units like the RF 3sixty.1/.2 and JL Cleansweep offer EQ on the input side and with the 3sixty.2, EQ and time alignment on the output side. Keeping your factory head unit also deters theft.

I'm going the 3sixty.2 route (31 bands of EQ per channel on the output side along with 13 bands of EQ on the subwoofer channel alone) so I can keep my factory head unit (again, the input signal is cleaned up and EQ'd flat).

After your converter (3sixty or Cleansweep), feed your amplifier(s) and use the factory wiring out to your speakers. I've done it all, and I've always ran my own speaker wire...even some Tara Labs $4/ft wire at one point, and it's not worth it in the car environment. There's simply too much noise to pay for the upgraded speaker wire and PITA of running it all.

Making adapters for the 5.25's (or whatever they are) up front should be easy. The tweeters are little neo based units which there are plenty of replacements available. Virtually any small neo car audio tweet will fit in that opening. I'm not running rears, but you can run them if you want. I like the extra power up front and the ability to have an actual sound stage by not having rears.

If you don't care about your spare tire, there's plenty of room for one to three 12's in there. :)

• 2 months later...

I know its already been stated but I wanted to stress the fact that BEST BUY, CIRCUIT CITY AND ALL OTHER MAJOR COMPANIES WILL DESTROY YOUR CAR!! I recently had a deck installed by Circuit City and it sounds horrible some how they wired it wrong and when the idiot went to test out the new deck it blew ALL my speakers as well as tweeters. I have been fighting it ever since and now that they are going out of business looks like im screwed....