Awseome Forum (sc400 Guy) Needs Help

I bought my 1992 SC400 in January as a work car for $950, 90 miles per day round trip. It had 145,000 miles when I got it, always averages 23.7-24.3 mpg and that is with leadfooterus disease. I have had it at 145 mph many times and still had plenty of power left. Sure is fun during the drag race after work even if I get outran in the short run I catch and pass everyone in a mile or so. It is amazing being a 1992 that everything still works, power sunroof, power tilt/telescope, power seats. This car has been amazing to own and I will buy another when we need a newer vehicle.

Problem just started, live in western kansas so we don't get much rain might and might not be part of problem. It was raining Tuesday morning went to work and about 30 miles into drive it started sputtering really bad but if you floored it, it would pull out and seem to run good, but then at constant speed start sputtering again. After work still raining with wet roads, about 15 miles into drive and after a few city miles it started sputtering, pulled over to make sure gas cap was venting and no suction on tank. Same as before if you floored it, it ran good but sputtered at constant speed. Pulled into town and it died 3 times on side streets. Had it idling and opened hood to hope to see sparks from shorting wire but nothing and it died again. I haven't looked at it yet, I will this weekend. The check engine light has flashed on and off ever since I have owned it intermittently. I plan on taking it out this weekend in dry weather to see if it still acts up. Seems like mpg has went south also. I am sure it has the original plugs/wires/fuel filter in it. It just seems more like a maf sensor or something of that nature to me. I hope I can get a picture posted, I'm kinda proud of my cheap badass car.

I have been pulling wrenches profesionally since 1992, how long does it take to install new waterpump and timing belt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS Josh

lexusuw3.th.jpgthpix.gif

It could easily be something simple...or something complex. Start with simple....check the altenator. If it has gotten wet (which i don't see easily happening), it could be shorting out. Thus causing a decrease in voltage which will cause the SC to sputter and die, loosing power and idle. Check to see if the water pump is leaking. If so, it will drip onto the alternator and kill it. My car, a 1992 SC400 with 160,000 miles, did the same thing. I just figured it out. Remember...start simple.

I bought my 1992 SC400 in January as a work car for $950, 90 miles per day round trip. It had 145,000 miles when I got it, always averages 23.7-24.3 mpg and that is with leadfooterus disease. I have had it at 145 mph many times and still had plenty of power left. Sure is fun during the drag race after work even if I get outran in the short run I catch and pass everyone in a mile or so. It is amazing being a 1992 that everything still works, power sunroof, power tilt/telescope, power seats. This car has been amazing to own and I will buy another when we need a newer vehicle.

Problem just started, live in western kansas so we don't get much rain might and might not be part of problem. It was raining Tuesday morning went to work and about 30 miles into drive it started sputtering really bad but if you floored it, it would pull out and seem to run good, but then at constant speed start sputtering again. After work still raining with wet roads, about 15 miles into drive and after a few city miles it started sputtering, pulled over to make sure gas cap was venting and no suction on tank. Same as before if you floored it, it ran good but sputtered at constant speed. Pulled into town and it died 3 times on side streets. Had it idling and opened hood to hope to see sparks from shorting wire but nothing and it died again. I haven't looked at it yet, I will this weekend. The check engine light has flashed on and off ever since I have owned it intermittently. I plan on taking it out this weekend in dry weather to see if it still acts up. Seems like mpg has went south also. I am sure it has the original plugs/wires/fuel filter in it. It just seems more like a maf sensor or something of that nature to me. I hope I can get a picture posted, I'm kinda proud of my cheap badass car.

I have been pulling wrenches profesionally since 1992, how long does it take to install new waterpump and timing belt?

lexusuw3.th.jpgthpix.gif

• 2 weeks later...

lexusuw3.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timing belt and pump should take you 6 hours max if you are somewhat experienced. One thing you will really need is a Harmonic balancer tool to hold while you crank at the main bolt. When putting everything back together from TDC, do two full rotations on the crank. Check all your lines to see if they have cracked and/or if they are connected. Good luck