Extended Warranty/1st Lexus Purchase

Eric CZ

I have made an offer on my first Lexus. 2001 LS430 with 70k miles. It is fully loaded, including the ultra luxury package. The salesman told me that if it were him, he would not purchase an extended warranty because of the reliability of the car. Both him and his business partner worked for the local Lexus dealer for over 10 years. Part of the offer was for a remote starter and snow tires. I am looking for some opinions, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

I have made an offer on my first Lexus. 2001 LS430 with 70k miles. It is fully loaded, including the ultra luxury package. The salesman told me that if it were him, he would not purchase an extended warranty because of the reliability of the car. Both him and his business partner worked for the local Lexus dealer for over 10 years. Part of the offer was for a remote starter and snow tires. I am looking for some opinions, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

I got the extended warranty when I bought my 2002 LS430 in 2006 with 48,000 miles and it was well worth it. They repaired many things, covering at least three times what I paid. This week they replaced oil pan gasket, which they bill at $1100, because it is hard to access, also the power steering pump. You never know what's going to happen and how it was treated.

FWIW, I have NEVER "gotten my money back in repairs" on ANY extended warranty on ANY product I have purchased. Maybe I'm just lucky and buy problem-free products.

Most of the financial gurus recommend NOT purchasing extended warranties, as few people come out ahead financially after buying them. Salesmen earn a LARGE commission on the sale of these policies; if the salesman is telling you not to buy it, that says something.

It's a "crap shoot". Are there any extended warranties that cover beyond 100,000 miles and that would cover the complexities of a UL LS430 including the air suspension? The Ultra is one complex car.

I didn't have any problems with either my 2000 LS400 or 1990 LS400 between 50,000 and 100,000 miles that would have made the purchase of an extended warranty cost effective. But they didn't have all the gizmos that a UL LS430 has.

About those snow tires ... try to get the dealer to throw in "real" snow tires that have the mountain/snowflake logo on the sidewalls ... far better than all season tires that have only "M+S" on the sidewalls.