Timing Belt Replacement At 6 Years? 73,500 Miles Not 90,000 Yet.

docmas

Had my 75,000 mile checkup on the 2002 LS430 at dealer. Told me they recommend changing timing belt at 6 years or 90,000 miles and upon inspection, saw "signs of wear." Very expensive maintenance ($1950 at Lexus dealer, $1500 Toyota dealer, $1000 independent, includes new water pump) and just wondering if it's more time or milage? I'd really like to wait another year, but don't want my car engine to explode. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,

Adam

I had the original timing belt on my 2000 LS400 replaced at 90,000 miles in July 2007 exactly seven years to the day after it's original in-service date. I waited an extra year but still replaced it at the recommended 90,000 miles. The original timing belt showed no visible signs of wear.

I'm not saying it is a good idea to wait longer but it didn't hurt in my case.

I let the second timing belt on my first LS, a 1990 LS400, go 105,000 miles. I did this since the original timing belt was trashed at about 75,000 miles when the water pump failed and the earlier LS engine was non-interference.

I put a new gatorback accessory belt in and the next day I went to the dealer... they told me I needed to have my my accessory belt changed because it was worn... point of this pointless story is don't always trust the dealer....

and if you buy OEM parts... buy them online not at the dealer...

Whenever a dealer or service shop gives you an expensive estimate that makes you suspiscous, either ask them to show you exactly what they're talking about or get a second opninion from someone you trust or from an unbiased shop that does diagnostics only - no repairs. You're right to be concerned with a 430, but be sure first before going ahead with a way early service.:cheers:

I just had the timimng belt replaced on my '99 at 90,000 and my mechanic told me that the old belt was still in great shape.

Irregardless, I'll stick with the 90,000 mile routine. I plan to run this car for many more happy years.

Caio!

Thanks for the feedback, most seems to be on LS400s, which I'm not sure if they wear differently than LS430s. Local mechanic (not a dealer) says California weather is mellow, okay to wait until 85,000. Of course, he also said that even if it broke, my engine would be okay, which is not what my dealer told me or what I've read in these forums for a 2002 LS430. Think I'll wait at least until 80,000 but it's making me nervous.

Thanks for the feedback, most seems to be on LS400s, which I'm not sure if they wear differently than LS430s. Local mechanic (not a dealer) says California weather is mellow, okay to wait until 85,000. Of course, he also said that even if it broke, my engine would be okay, which is not what my dealer told me or what I've read in these forums for a 2002 LS430. Think I'll wait at least until 80,000 but it's making me nervous.

My 1998 LS 400 has 81,850 miles on it (bought with 80,600 on the clock). I don't think the timing belt was changed on it. The stupid dealer won't tell me. I am going to get it done at 85K. Good thing I have a 6 month/6K warranty from them (Lexus dealer). So if it does go I'll make them pay for it after all the car was bought and serviced at the same dealership.