93 Sc300: Clicks But No Cranks

Hi All,

This is my first post here after lurking for a long time. I had hoped that my first post would be pictures of my newly-reupholstered SC300's interior, but that will have to wait until I get my starting problem solved.

When I turn the ignition key to start the car (just like I have for the past thirteen years), nothing happens. I hear a loud click, but then total silence - no attempt to crank. It's probably either very simple or very unusual, because my searches here turned up a lot of questions about the car cranking but not starting, but not much about just clicking when the ignition key is turned. I find that about 1 time in 5 I can get it started by turning the key to the point where the panel lights come on and then waiting for a few seconds before I finish turning the key all the way. When it cranks, it always starts. My problem is that it is difficult (and anxiety-inducing) to sit through 5 or 10 click sequences to hit that sweet spot.

The battery & all filters and fluids were replaced less than a year ago. It's a 93 SC300. It's black. It's been almost perfect, except for the panel needles and the plastic window thingie breaking.

I hope somebody can help me with this. I used the instructions I found here to attempt to fix my exterior door handle/window and they were very helpful. I didn't succeed, but I gave it a good shot! Thanks in advance.

I had the same thing happen a couple years ago.

For months this was happening. I figured it was probably the solenoid in the starter, but as long as it would eventually start, I just ignored it.

Well.. One morning the solenoid stuck ON, and the engine wouldn't stop cranking even after it has started. Fortunately I was in my driveway and dashed into the garage for a wrench to disconnect the battery real quick.

Got it towed, and they replaced the starter.

All was good.

Not to say that's your issue, but the symptoms are identical!

Good Luck..

Hi All,

This is my first post here after lurking for a long time. I had hoped that my first post would be pictures of my newly-reupholstered SC300's interior, but that will have to wait until I get my starting problem solved.

When I turn the ignition key to start the car (just like I have for the past thirteen years), nothing happens. I hear a loud click, but then total silence - no attempt to crank. It's probably either very simple or very unusual, because my searches here turned up a lot of questions about the car cranking but not starting, but not much about just clicking when the ignition key is turned. I find that about 1 time in 5 I can get it started by turning the key to the point where the panel lights come on and then waiting for a few seconds before I finish turning the key all the way. When it cranks, it always starts. My problem is that it is difficult (and anxiety-inducing) to sit through 5 or 10 click sequences to hit that sweet spot.

The battery & all filters and fluids were replaced less than a year ago. It's a 93 SC300. It's black. It's been almost perfect, except for the panel needles and the plastic window thingie breaking.

I hope somebody can help me with this. I used the instructions I found here to attempt to fix my exterior door handle/window and they were very helpful. I didn't succeed, but I gave it a good shot! Thanks in advance.

Several possibilities fit the description you give. Before all else, check all battery cable connections at the battery, starter solenoid and starter motor. Starter motors draw very heavy current, and loose, corroded or dirty connections can cause intermittent problems. Solenoids are heavy current switches that connect the battery to the starter motor when you turn the key to the "start" position. The click you hear is the solenoid being actuated - normally starter motor noise tends to mask the click but its always there if things are working right. However, even if the solenoid closes properly, it's contacts may be worn or corroded preventing the starter motor from getting the juice. Similarly, the solenoid could be sending power to a faulty starter motor.

Starter motors have several field coils arranged around the motor shaft; if one opens up it can cause a dead spot where the motor won't respond when power is sent from the solenoid. But if the starter motor ends up in a "good" spot when it was last spun up, it will start OK. This obviously causes an elusive problem depending on where the starter motor ends up with respect to the dead spot. Since you mention working with the key and sometimes being able to get it going, I would suspect the solenoid has burned contacts as the most likely fault. Solenoids with dirty or worn contacts do often become intermittent and if you keep hitting at it it may eventually make good contact. Your suspects are the solenoid and the starter motor itself, probably in that order.

• 3 months later...
Wow, you guys are good. My car is all fixed without surprises. 144,000 miles and this was the first non-normal-maintenance item I have had to replace. Thanks again!

So did you replace just the solonoid, or the starter too? I'm facing the exact same issue in my SC400. Is the solonoid closer to the starter or battery, or is it an all in one style component??

B)

I had the same problem with my SC400 back in July, July 10th to be exact, because i remember it was the day before the new iPhone debut. :P

Anyway, yeah, my starter was the issue, not sure what exactly went wrong with the starter, but that was also the first thing that ever broke on my car and that was at 162,xxx miles. A few times in the months prior, it would just click, click, click really fast but eventually it always ended up cranking and starting. Then one day it wouldnt start. :( These cars are virtually perfectly, though, IMHO... Having one thing wrong in the, now, 164,xxx miles is very impressive.

Jason

thanks for the reply Jason! Did you DIY? Do remember if there was

A separate solonoid replaced at the same time? I love my SC400 too!

Mine just crossed 115k miles, and this has been the first hicup. I hope

To do this repair myself. Any one know of a thread on replacing the starter?

thanks for the reply Jason! Did you DIY? Do remember if there was

A separate solonoid replaced at the same time? I love my SC400 too!

Mine just crossed 115k miles, and this has been the first hicup. I hope

To do this repair myself. Any one know of a thread on replacing the starter?

Don't know if you're a diy, but this is not an easy job. Read up on this forum, plenty of threads on this topic. Here's a couple of links that will show you how involved it is and why it's an expensive repair at the shop:

http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html

Same thing happened to my 98 SC400, I brought it to my local mechanic and left it with him. He kept it about 4 days and hooked up some type of line that told him what the problem was when it just clicked and did not start. In the end, it was the starter. It took him about 6 hours to replace it.

Sounds like the exact same thing you went through.

Michael

• 11 years later...