How Many Miles Can A Gx470 Go?

chlexus

Easily 300000 miles. The electronics of the vehicle may not last that long but engine-wise (if properly maintained) it should last you forever. It has a Land Cruiser engine and these things last a lifetime. ;)

The only concern "and very expensive" repair about the GX series for me, is the air suspension set-up. Correct me if i'm wrong here fellas, but isn't one of the biggest differences between the 4runner and GX is the fact that the GX has air, and the 4runner has the normal strut and springs set up? Air suspension rides oh-so-smooth, but when they start to wear out, watch-out! It's probably one of the most expensive components on the car, and guaranteed to fail/wear-out far sooner then the engine and/or transmission "even if marginally maintained". That's the main reason why I went to the 4runner side. We looked at a couple used GX models when shopping, both had the air suspension, both were in the 65k-70k mileage range, and both scared me away.

Mechanically speaking: A Toyota V8 engine is probably one of the best engines ever built, if not the best. I wouldn't worry about the engine or transmission. At 40k miles, the engine isn't even fully broken-in yet, to be honest. But, be weary of the air suspension a little. It's not that they're problematic, in fact just the oposite really. It's the fact that they will wear out, as all suspension does.

The GX certianly rides better then the 4runner, quite a bit better actually. But, I'm not so sure the difference between the two setups warrants the cost difference between the two with regards to servicing the suspension. On a "normal" set up, it's a $100 strut and two bolts. On the air suspension, you're dealing with stuff Gman references to, like the height sensors, and then it's air bags, pumps, hoses, etc... I think the answer lies in the question of "is the ride worth it to you?" Many say yes, and I can see why. But many also say no, and I too can see why. I know on the LS series, we tell folks looking at older models to avoid the air suspension setup, as it costs nearly $1,500 per wheel to replace. I'm sure the GX is designed to take a lot more abuse then the LS, but if buying used, I'd be weary of that. The interior difference though between the GX and 4runner is no comparision. The GX is soooo nice! 4runner is nice too, but nowhere near the GX.

The GX certianly rides better then the 4runner, quite a bit better actually. But, I'm not so sure the difference between the two setups warrants the cost difference between the two with regards to servicing the suspension. On a "normal" set up, it's a $100 strut and two bolts. On the air suspension, you're dealing with stuff Gman references to, like the height sensors, and then it's air bags, pumps, hoses, etc... I think the answer lies in the question of "is the ride worth it to you?" Many say yes, and I can see why. But many also say no, and I too can see why. I know on the LS series, we tell folks looking at older models to avoid the air suspension setup, as it costs nearly $1,500 per wheel to replace. I'm sure the GX is designed to take a lot more abuse then the LS, but if buying used, I'd be weary of that. The interior difference though between the GX and 4runner is no comparision. The GX is soooo nice! 4runner is nice too, but nowhere near the GX.

Air suspension can very expensive to replace. But I have had several Lexus service technicians and members of this board tell me that the newer design is much more reliable and will last a very long time, much longer than the setup on the old LS400s.

I would not hesitate to buy a GX or any other Lexus model equipped with the newer air suspension design.

cOULD SOMEBODY TELL IF THE SUSPENSION COULD BE REPLACED WITH NORMAL STRUT SPRING TYPE SUSPENSIONS IF AT ALL ANY THINGS FAILS , MAYBE SOME MODE FOR THE STRUTS TO HAVE IT SEATED AT THE FRAME SIDE,HAS ANYBDOY DONE SO TO AVOID THE ESCALATED COSTS OF REPAIRING THE ORIGINAL ONE. i HAD A FRIEND OF MINE WHO DID ON A LS430 2004 MODEL, YOUR VIEWS APPRECIATED

Air suspension can very expensive to replace. But I have had several Lexus service technicians and members of this board tell me that the newer design is much more reliable and will last a very long time, much longer than the setup on the old LS400s.

I would not hesitate to buy a GX or any other Lexus model equipped with the newer air suspension design.

Which year do think is newer?

Which year do think is newer?

Based on what I have heard from others, I think the design was first revised with the 1995 LS400, and then was updated several more times as air suspension became an option on other models.

• 12 years later...

My 2007 GX470 air suspension went out on me in 2019 and I didn’t have it replaced with an air suspension because of the cost, sorry I went the other route you can really tell the difference in the ride! So word of the wise if you have the money and plan on keeping the car replace it with air suspension!  I love my car, best car I’ve ever had!!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Several Tundra pickups with the same 4.7L engine have gone ONE MILLION 

miles. These were oil industry jobbers who hauled crucial parts to the oil industry.

They were mostly highway miles, but I would not be scared of going 700,000. This would mean that you should change your tranny fluid by 250,000. Do all the required maint, should be good to go. 

• 2 months later...

Mine is a baby with only 126K on it. My mom bought one new in '05 and put just over 422,000 miles on it with no engine issues other than normal maintenance parts and a new alternator. Now the interior is a different story. IMO the interior quality overall is really lacking for a Toyota and while garaging helps it doesn't stop the inevitable degradation.