Sc400 Exhaust

rich21

it feels even sounds like the exhaust is backed up. i was going down the highway and when i got off the exit and went up to the light a puff of smoke came out of the exhaust. i rev the engine a bit and no smoke came out. its pretty cold out so you should be able to see smoke coming out. i put my hand in front of the pipe and it felt like it wasn't getting the proper flow. what should i do?

beats me. Have you checked your oil pressure? When you were on the highway, were you pushing it? and were you reving it above 2k rpms while the oil was still cold?

kewl, but even when i got home i left the car running and i put my hand in front of the pipes and it felt like nothing was really coming out. like its holding back. man i was scared. i was just thinking of gasket or rings. when i saw that smoke.

Ok, Reality Check... I once saw a guy driving over 135+mph fly his car airborne for about 200 feet and smack into a eucalyptus tree. He wrapped the passanger side around the tree about 10 feet above the ground, it tore the roof off the car, and the engine and trans separated from the chassis. He got ejected and was found about 50 feet away all mangled like a backwards pretzel. All the big bones in his body and legs were mush, his spine curved the wrong way and his feet were touching the back of his head. His skull was squashed sideways with pink maccaroni pouring out the split in his forehead. The passengers didn't fair much better. One guy had a couple of front teeth where his ears were supposed to be, and nothing but hamburger for a face. The whole scene was some major carne asada... My point is that all the fun can come to a stop in a big way. The energy potential of a vehicle in motion varies with the square of the speed, so if you go twice as fast you get to wreck with four times the energy. On the race track is one thing, in the streets is another animal altogether. Too many solid things to hit, other people to get in the way, etc. Have fun but be safe.

oh no doubt, when i went 145 the highway was flat straight away and no cars(late night). just state trooper getting out of speed trap to try and catch me ;) B)

And you live in New Jersey. Man those Troopers are :censored: . You have a lot of :censored:

Hey Lucifer:

What exactly do you do for a living? :blink: :)

• 2 weeks later...

I chase 16yr old gazelles after they bail out of stolen cars and jump over fences and run through your backyards at 3am. I run toward the sounds of gunshots and hope to catch the person shooting. I find the biggest and baddest Mo'Fo's, that vow never to go back alive, and drag them straight down crying and pleading like babies. Basically, I find people doing bad sh :censored: and take them straight to hell. BTW, only a boot rookie would work speed from a shotgun start. I'd just use the radio... B)

About the speed governor - our SC's are electronically speed limited at approximately 145 mph. At least that is what I have heard. I have also heard that the manual versions do not have a top speed governor. In this condition, the final drive will determine the max speed. Technically, the 5 speed SC3 should be able to do 160mph. I've never been over 120 in any of the SC's I've driven on closed tracks. It is ill advised to break the speed limit on public roads.

As far as the exhaust is concerned. If you do not have any malfunciton indicators on in the dash, things are probably just fine. Sounds like the car is running just fine to me. If you are concerned, take it to a good exhaust shop and have them give it a one over. The standard flow can be improved by removing the oem midpipe at the very least. These things have been discussed on Lextreme website and we can discuss them here as well. The goal is to get good scavenging by means of cross pipe while allowing a merge.

try pushing an integ over 120...wont happen.

Honda's or Acura's are not limited, GSR's and Type R's do 130 mph+... My '00 Civic Si is stock with bolt-ons and a .75" drop and I've had it up to 130 mph and had power to spare... The magazine rated my car with a top speed of 128mph... I had the SC300 up to 135 mph, ran out of room, and my Honda CBR600F4i up to 154 mph... Honda's and Acura's are drag limited, air and lack of power slows them down, if you lower the car, it will go faster... I had a '98 Honda Accord i4, 5 speed manual and it topped out at 125 mph, I lowered it on Eibach Sportlines(1.8f-1.5r) and I got it up to 138...

I've never gotten a honda over 120. Never pushed the b16a2 5speed del sol. It did go 120 and would have gone further but had computer mods. My auto 1997 accord will drop fuel at 120mph electronically. No question about it. It can do more. But the computer does shut it down.

Any other information here is personal and speculation. It doesn't really matter in the end. It's pointless to argue, but that is my experience.

All vehicles after 95 have some sort of speed limiter at least in the automatic versions. Were and when the speed limiter hits is the only variable.

I've only owned two Honda's, my '00 Civic Si with b16a2, 5 speed manual, and have driven it to 130 with no fuel cut off... I had my '98 Accord up to 138 with no fuel cut off and no mods except Eibach springs... I personally know people that bolted a turbo or supercharger on the b16a2('00 Si) with no computer mods and pegged out at 145 mph(red line in 5 gear)... The Acura Integra Type R will do 140mph... I believe the lower model Civic's are electronically limited because they only put T rated tires on them, like the CX, DX, and HX models... The only fuel cut off that my '00 Si has, is at red line, it cuts out at 8200rpms...

The '99 and '00 Honda Civic Si does not have a top speed limiter, that is a FACT!!! My '98 Honda Accord 4 cylinder, 5 Speed manual did not have a top speed limiter, that is a FACT!!! I did research on both of these cars before I bought them, reviews in magazines and they stated that they were drag limited and I tested it myself... There is no speculation what so ever... We had an entire club based on the '99 and '00 model, I know just about everything there is to know about the '99 and '00 Civic Si... I've worked on over a dozen of them...

Here is a page from another site that I surf of data compiled of different cars...

Car info...