01 Ls430 Tilt Wheel Stuck

drrod

My SO has an 01 LS430. The tilt wheel is stuck in its lowest position. I have searched the forum for possible solutions. I have not found one yet.

- there is no "whirring" noise (as if motor is running) when the control is operated.

- the fix described elsewhere on the forum (shimming drive gear) does not describe the '01. ie. the drive gear/motor assembly is not accessible like it is described for earlier models. The coverings over the steering column are removable as described but the motor assembly looks like nothing in the pictures. Was there a significant change in the newer models?

I am hoping someone else has had this problem and can offer some advice.

Thanks

There were numerous changes to the tilt/telescope system over the years. Personally, I think the worst change was the discontinuation the on/off switch that was on the gen 1 LS.

The attached TSIB might at least show you what the components look like if you want to do some disassembly.

Have you checked the fuses? There are at two associated with the tilt/telescope system in my 2000 LS400 -- both are in the large fuse box under the hood. Check the owners manual of your LS430 for the function of each fuse. If not in your owners manual, the fuse functions are on the inside of each fuse cover including the one under the dash. On my 00 LS, the fuses for the tilt/telescope also are for other things including power locks and windows. I assume you would have noticed if other electrical devices were not working.

TSIB_ST001_04_Steering_column_noise.pdf

I should also add that when the tilt ceased to function, it went to its lowest position and now refuses to move. ie. it did not stay in the last place it was put but rather tilted down to its lowest level and then quit. Is there position sensors for the tilt function and if so, is it possible to bypass them?

Not looking forward to taking this problem to the dealer but it may come down to that.

Thanks

I have the two volume repair manual set for my 2000 LS400 and they don't appear to contain information about diagnosing problems with the tilt/telescope system. They do have 15 pages devoted to removing and replacing components of the system but I see no mention of position sensors. One of the diagrams shows an ECU for the tilt/telescope system under the dash.

Some people have the automatic tilt/telescope feature disabled -- especially as a car ages or when the tilt/telescope system begins to show signs of problems. The dealer or a competent repair shop can disable the automatic tilt/telescope by using a handheld scan tool and appropriate program card. The tilt/telescope would still work manually with the toggle button on the steering wheel column but would no longer be controlled by the memory buttons on the drivers door.

The problem you are having may be something simple like a bad switch or a loose connection. The tilt/telescope system often makes grinding and groaning noises before something mechanical in the system fails.

I stopped by the dealer today to ask about the problem. Without a moment/s hesitation, the service guy said "its the motor". It may well be, but since it powered down before quitting, I think I will do some more diagnostics before shelling out for them to play with it.

There was no groaning or creaking before it quit. I am still banking on a connection somewhere but finding it may be a chore.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi: Look in this forum or in Clublexus old threads, there is a free fix for the problem. I did it in mine like in 30 minutes. You have to disasemble the plastics see the telescopic motor washer, shim it and grease it a little and presto it works again. Look for it in this forum first, or maybe some of the members will give you the link but start from the older forums to the new ones since it was an old post. CPR

Like I described in an earlier post, the 01 tilt mechanism does not resemble the earlier models. ie. there is no accessible gear drive when you disassemble the steering column. I had hoped that the shimming remedy would work but alas, not to be.

Rod

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have the same problem with my 01 LS430. Did you every resolve this? If so, how?

David.

Folks

TILT STEERING NOT OPERATING ON LS430

Just fixed mine tonight 02 LS430 Ultra. Tilt was inoperable and on lowest (and most inconvenient) setting. Took about 30 mins. 3 screws (1 bottom, 2 on front face of shroud that you must turn steering wheel 90 degrees each way to access) to remove shroud.

Motor was stuck. Was making very quiet clicking noise when I tried the switch. On 02, the motor assembly is parallel and below the steering column shaft. 2 metric allen keys and the motor releases from the column in which the steering wheel can be now lifted up. This will allow the motor to be free to be manually spun and manipulated by hand to free up. There may be an E clip that is on the worm gear that may be very tight and jamming the motor. Once the motor is spun to free it's movement, you can disconnect the harness, spin the motor to get it free (gear may need to be lubricated), the motor can be repositioned in a manner to have the column tilted to the level desired. Once that's done, reassemble and enjoy. I snapped several photos that I'll included that will make it more easily to visualize. Studying it and determining the cause took about 1 hour. Once you know what you need to do, job should take appx 30 mins or less, assuming you have the correct tools and are mechanically inclined.

post-67272-1248350256_thumb.jpg

This is the view from the left side of the column. Remove the gold colored hex head bolt which releases the harness. The black hex head screw to the lower right of that is the right motor captive screw to be removed.

post-67272-1248350269_thumb.jpg

This is the view from the bottom. A black colored hex head cover screw which contains a small spring and guide has been removed. The worm gear (long straight expoosed screw like mechanism) is attached to the tilt motor. The E clip that was jamming the motor was located on the worm gear (motor is at the top of the photo, worm gear is attached to the shaft of the motor, E clip is located (removed in this photo) in the area just above where the gear threads begin.

post-67272-1248350280_thumb.jpg

View from the right of the steering column. Black hex head screw in middle of photo is the right captive screw on the motor.

Email or message me with questions.

Best

Rick

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
I have the same problem with my 01 LS430. Did you every resolve this? If so, how?

David.

Folks

TILT STEERING NOT OPERATING ON LS430

Just fixed mine tonight 02 LS430 Ultra. Tilt was inoperable and on lowest (and most inconvenient) setting. Took about 30 mins. 3 screws (1 bottom, 2 on front face of shroud that you must turn steering wheel 90 degrees each way to access) to remove shroud.

Motor was stuck. Was making very quiet clicking noise when I tried the switch. On 02, the motor assembly is parallel and below the steering column shaft. 2 metric allen keys and the motor releases from the column in which the steering wheel can be now lifted up. This will allow the motor to be free to be manually spun and manipulated by hand to free up. There may be an E clip that is on the worm gear that may be very tight and jamming the motor. Once the motor is spun to free it's movement, you can disconnect the harness, spin the motor to get it free (gear may need to be lubricated), the motor can be repositioned in a manner to have the column tilted to the level desired. Once that's done, reassemble and enjoy. I snapped several photos that I'll included that will make it more easily to visualize. Studying it and determining the cause took about 1 hour. Once you know what you need to do, job should take appx 30 mins or less, assuming you have the correct tools and are mechanically inclined.

post-67272-1248350256_thumb.jpg

This is the view from the left side of the column. Remove the gold colored hex head bolt which releases the harness. The black hex head screw to the lower right of that is the right motor captive screw to be removed.

post-67272-1248350269_thumb.jpg

This is the view from the bottom. A black colored hex head cover screw which contains a small spring and guide has been removed. The worm gear (long straight expoosed screw like mechanism) is attached to the tilt motor. The E clip that was jamming the motor was located on the worm gear (motor is at the top of the photo, worm gear is attached to the shaft of the motor, E clip is located (removed in this photo) in the area just above where the gear threads begin.

post-67272-1248350280_thumb.jpg

View from the right of the steering column. Black hex head screw in middle of photo is the right captive screw on the motor.

Email or message me with questions.

Best

Rick

Rick,

I have an 03 with the same problem. The steering wheel is stuck in the down driving position and will not tilt or telescope. If I try the switch on the steering column, it will move up or down about a half inch, but will not telescope at all. When trying the switch, I can hear a faint chirp noise. If you get this message, please respond to my email at m8554@hotmail.com

I have some other questions for you.

Thanks,

Mike

My SO has an 01 LS430. The tilt wheel is stuck in its lowest position. I have searched the forum for possible solutions. I have not found one yet.

- there is no "whirring" noise (as if motor is running) when the control is operated.

- the fix described elsewhere on the forum (shimming drive gear) does not describe the '01. ie. the drive gear/motor assembly is not accessible like it is described for earlier models. The coverings over the steering column are removable as described but the motor assembly looks like nothing in the pictures. Was there a significant change in the newer models?

I am hoping someone else has had this problem and can offer some advice.

Thanks

I have 96 LS which occasionally has problem with being stuck in its lowest position as you've described. Few weeks ago I replaced battery as old one was getting quite weak and since then my auto tilt feature has been working well. Before you try disassembling the assembly why not try disconnecting the battery as it appears it resets the auto tilt feature ?

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

i have a 2000 lexus ls400. the tilt stopped working last saturday. i removed the cover (1 screw on the bottom and 2 on top-with engine running turn the

steering wheel until both screw are showing. move the wheel as far as it goes towards you and then separate the covers. i tapped on the motor

2 to 3 times with a hammer and then the tilt started working again.

if you look on the bottom of the steering, the worm screw(about 3-4 inches) attaches to it. there is a tan connection to the motor. move the lock (clip)

away from the connector then pull the connector. NOTE: BEFORE DO ALL THIS, WITH YOUR IGNITION TO ON, TILT YOUR WHEEL TO THE DESIRED POSTION. then secure the dangling connection with electic tape.

install cover back then your good to go.

• 2 years later...

Rick, your intructions and pictures worked very nicely for my 03 LS430 tilt motor problem. Like you said, just take the two allen bolts out and free up the motor by hand, adjust where you want it, and reattach; like new. THanks!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Rick, Thanks much for your post! You helped me get my '01 fixed. It is now stationary in the position I prefer.

I know this is an old post, but I do have one question. The motor spun freely as soon as I disconnected the allen bolts. As such, I simply assumed that the motor is dead and didn't bother with the E clip (the motor makes no noise and there isn't the slightest movement when I try to tilt it with the switch). Do you think that it might be worth me taking it apart again to examin the E clip?

• 2 months later...

thanks, rick. just did my 2002 today. didnt have to take the gold hex screw out, just disconnected both ends of the harness. the motor will spin on the shaft once the st wheel is raised, held my st. wheel up with a stick but be carefull or youll smash your fingers if the wheel drops. as stated, the problem is the motor gets jammed up against the e clip and wont back out. i just rotated it one revolution away from the clip, reatached the captive allen bolts, and now works great. it only tilts about an inch instead of 1.25 or 1.5 inches, but i dont care as it now works. i maybe could have removed the e clip to retain full movement, but i figured its there for a reason, dont know.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the help. My 2004 LS430 had the steering wheel stuck in the lowest position, and was not moving up or down. I had an estimate of $961 to fix this. They claimed the motor is bad and needed to change. I just didn't think I wanted to spend that much for the inconvenience of having it be too low.

I actually opened the casing around the steering wheel, found the shaft of the tilt motor. There was also an allen head screw or bolt, I just loosened it a bit, then with a needle nose pliers, twisted the shaft by hand and saw the steering wheel go up. I kept doing it, got it all the way up. Then a surprise, I turned the ignition on, and then the tilt started to work.

I tried a few times, it works, but I'm not pushing my luck, so it is just in the 95% up position, it is very comfortable. Thanks to all the
contributors that gave me the idea of doing it.

• 5 months later...

Same thing on my 01 after new battery and not 1 service manager at 3 dealers had an answer. Well, I do, Just disconnect positive terminal for 10 min. And just like magic the tilt works again.Can you believe it, people at a dealership know so little about what they sell. This is fix if motor is not bad or stuck which 3 screws removing steering plastic will tell you.Also when you hear rear speaker blow out, and do not feel like having a $430 new one broken off in your !Removed!, remove rear grill and put clear silicon caulk on rip and your good to go next day for at least 6years so far.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Had the tilt/telescope get stuck two times in the past 5-6 years in my 99. The first time it was in the shop and they were not sure what made it start working again.  It got stuck again two days ago in the up position. Neither the tilt nor telescope function would work. I could hear a soft chirp when pushing the control but the wheel did not move.

I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery for about 30 minutes, reconnected it, and, wala, the tilt/telescope began working again, just like new. 

• 3 years later...

Hello I have an 03 plate LS 430 The tilt n slide and telescopic function stopped about six months ago I haven't been bothered about it being in the fully down position but am currently thinking of trading the car. I took it to an auto electrician today and was told the column showed three different malfunctions on the sensors which control the motors and I would need to have a new steering column fitted which would be prohibitive as the cost would outweigh the value of the car. Am very interested in the posts I have read and the excellent photographs but am not really very mechanically minded but am willing to give it a go removing the covers and manually rotating the worm screw to get the steering wheel into a more comfortable position . One problem I have is I am unsure what an "e clip" is ? Is this what we in UK would refere to as a circlip ? 

5 hours ago, Neil C said:

Hello I have an 03 plate LS 430 The tilt n slide and telescopic function stopped about six months ago I haven't been bothered about it being in the fully down position but am currently thinking of trading the car. I took it to an auto electrician today and was told the column showed three different malfunctions on the sensors which control the motors and I would need to have a new steering column fitted which would be prohibitive as the cost would outweigh the value of the car. Am very interested in the posts I have read and the excellent photographs but am not really very mechanically minded but am willing to give it a go removing the covers and manually rotating the worm screw to get the steering wheel into a more comfortable position . One problem I have is I am unsure what an "e clip" is ? Is this what we in UK would refere to as a circlip ? 

Maybe an e-clip should be called an immature c-clip!  Here is a website about it - has a photo showing both:  http://www.townsendbearings.co.uk/index.php/circlips-and-e-clips/

If your automotive electrician does not specialize in Lexus cars, he/she may be overestimating the scope of the problem.  Does any sound come from the steering wheel motors when you attempt to adjust the tilt and telescope?  If there is a noise, there may be a binding issue that can be patched.  If there is no noise then there may be an electrical problem.  I would be surprised if both tilt and telescope motors failed at the same time.  For example, check to see if the electrical cables connected to the motors are damaged.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Disconnected my battery for the summer on my 2002 Lexus 430 and when I reconnected the steering tilt was in the up position and I haven't gotten any response out of it - the telescopeing part works fine.   Any suggestions appreciated.   There was talk of reprogramming - don't know how