'00 Es300 Hid Headlights -> '98 Es300 - Possible?

hd54321

Hi guys:

Just got myself a '98 ES300. It's a great car. I would like to get HID's for the car and understand that the '00's had HID's as an option.

Since the ES300's didn't change much between the model years (MY) I was wondering if a direct headlight swap was possible? Are the headlight assembly's different shapes or sizes or should it be as easy as a drop-in. In addition, a Lexus technician told me the wiring is different between the 00's and the 98's. Is this true? If so, would some wiring handiwork take care of the issue?

I want to be as OEM as possible so I have ruled out a kit to swap just my bulbs for xenon bulbs and ballasts, etc. I want the reflectors to be designed for HID's so I don't blind oncoming traffic.

Wow, lots of questions. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks guys!

-HD

Should be possible to install the housings, though not cheap. You'll need a custom wiring harness that allows you to connect the ballast power leads to relays to your battery (to not stress your headlamp switch with startup voltage) and to your stock H7 lowbeam sockets. And of course, autoleveling won't work, but the last generation Acura TL, for example, didn't even have auto-levelling on its factory HID system.

Factory HID's are much more expensive then the aftermarket HID's and I'm pretty sure that you can't buy a full HID system from Lexus, each part is sold seperatly which would make it pretty expensive to install. If I were you I would just buy a good aftermarket HID system from Phillips or Sylvania.

If I were you I would just buy a good aftermarket HID system from Phillips or Sylvania.

As said before in previous posts, aftermarket HID systems are now illegal in most of the 48 states!

Should be possible to install the housings, though not cheap. You'll need a custom wiring harness that allows you to connect the ballast power leads to relays to your battery (to not stress your headlamp switch with startup voltage) and to your stock H7 lowbeam sockets. And of course, autoleveling won't work, but the last generation Acura TL, for example, didn't even have auto-levelling on its factory HID system.

Squarehat - thank you very much for the information. I have already found a parts dealer willing to sell me both left and right 00 HID assemblys for a little less $500. I figure a kit would cost $350+ so this is a good deal for the whole housing.

What bothers me is the trouble with the wiring and autoleveling - as you had mentioned in your reply post. Can you go a little further into why the autoleveling won't work? I just noticed that my regular lights on my '98 seem to have some sort of leveling mechanism (when you pop the hood, on top of each headlight, there is a balance capsule - the one that is filled with water and one bubble) - is this "balance capsule" part of the headlight assembly or not? If it is not, can it be used in conjunction with the '00 lights? Can you please elaborate on this issue. Any knowledge would greatly help me in making my decision.

In addition, the wiring doesn't seem that complicated. With some fiddling, I assume I could get it to work properly. I have seen custom wireless harnesses done all the time on other boards so I am sure I could get someone knowledgable to help me out (if you have time, maybe you can lend me some more tips if and when I go through with the purchase).

Thank you so much and I look forward to a response.

-HD

If I were you I would just buy a good aftermarket HID system from Phillips or Sylvania.

As said before in previous posts, aftermarket HID systems are now illegal in most of the 48 states!

All 48 states ;)

Auto-levelling won't work, because it requires a control unit, and sensors on the four shocks to tell how the car is pitched. For the harness, you'll need a harness that lets you connect the power inputs to the ballast to the battery, then a relay to your headlamp switch (via the factory H7 connectors). You may be able to purchase one from autolamps-online.com; if not, the people at hidforum.com could probably point you in the right direction. The price for the housings sounds good. Besides the housings and the harness, you'll need a pair of D2R bulbs (OEM are 4100-4300K Osram or Philips) and a pair of ballasts (Philips, Hella, or Panasonic).

This is definitely as close to a DOT-approved retrofit as you can get (auto-leveling is not mandatory in the US, reference my Acura example, as well as the Sylvania Xenarc retrofit housings for Ford and Chevy full-size pickups/SUVs, which are fully street legal while not-self leveling).

Finally, the bubble level is to help aim the headlamps when the car is parked on level ground. There are horizontal/vertical adjustment screws (should be in the manual). As long as the headlamps are aimed correctly, the lack of autolevelling shouldn't be a problem unless you're carrying 500 pounds of cement in your trunk, pitching the nose of the car way up :D )

It is a waste of time to change the headlights and bulbs

especially since you need to make sure you get the bulb headlight and ballasts. Otherwise it is useless most wreckers would never sell the set for that cheap .

Get the aftermarket kit and save the hassel

Also the rear suspension is where the sensor is mounted and measures the amount of travel from the body to adjust the lights angle ( not all 4 suspension corners)

i agree it dont sound right for someone to sell you the bulbs,ballasts and headlight housings plus all the wires you need for less then 500!there are still places to buy a aftermarket hid kit for about 350 or a bit more and that would be your best bet!if someone is really willing to sell you all of that factory stuff for that cheap then jump on it but i would make sure your getting everything you need.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've been reading thru some of the older headlight posts and I'm in the same situation.

I'm tired of the dim and poorly lit headlights on my 98es.

I've tried the osram silverstar bulbs (same wattage) but only with

marginal results - though still better than stock.

hid bulbs/kits are not an ideal fit with the stock halogen reflector, due to cutoff

problems, legality, and just the generally poor standard DOT stock reflector pattern.

Do the hid's from the MY2000, cover the road better with an improved reflector pattern? Do they have that hybrid "E" code? The E code reflector pattern seems to illuminate the road better. (if you look at the pattern against a wall, they have the slant upward to the right, illuminating the right side of the road better)

What are the options?

Thanks.