Snow Tires

Just got the first snow up here in Chicago, about 3-4 inches, with 5-6 inches coming tommorrow. Been hearing good things about the Bridgestone Blizzaks, and I needed snow tires, so I had Discount Tire put four on my IS350($1067.00, with the tire pressure monitors). The difference is like night and day. On the way up to Discount I was slipping and sliding like crazy. It was pretty bad, especially pulling in or out of a gas station for example, with those downslopes. I didn't neccessarily want to go with Bridgestone's again, since I can't stand the road noise on my Potenzas, but I heard these were soft tires.

After I had them installed I noticed right away the grip on the road, and how quiet the ride became. I recommend them to anyone doing winter driving, especially with a rear-wheel drive 350. They really do a good job in snow and sleet, and they should last for a good 3 seasons.

The other thing I noticed is these tires don't let my car pull to the right or left because of road crowning. My Bridgestone Potenzas will catch a spot on the road and pull my car to one direction. That and the road noise is annoying with Potenzas.

But the Blizzaks are really nice for the winter.

Does anyone know of a good, softer summer tire that make the ride more comfortable? Michelin's maybe?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got the first snow up here in Chicago, about 3-4 inches, with 5-6 inches coming tommorrow. Been hearing good things about the Bridgestone Blizzaks, and I needed snow tires, so I had Discount Tire put four on my IS350($1067.00, with the tire pressure monitors). The difference is like night and day. On the way up to Discount I was slipping and sliding like crazy. It was pretty bad, especially pulling in or out of a gas station for example, with those downslopes. I didn't neccessarily want to go with Bridgestone's again, since I can't stand the road noise on my Potenzas, but I heard these were soft tires.

After I had them installed I noticed right away the grip on the road, and how quiet the ride became. I recommend them to anyone doing winter driving, especially with a rear-wheel drive 350. They really do a good job in snow and sleet, and they should last for a good 3 seasons.

The other thing I noticed is these tires don't let my car pull to the right or left because of road crowning. My Bridgestone Potenzas will catch a spot on the road and pull my car to one direction. That and the road noise is annoying with Potenzas.

But the Blizzaks are really nice for the winter.

Does anyone know of a good, softer summer tire that make the ride more comfortable? Michelin's maybe?

Good to know. I have yet to experience something like that. I always wanted to get some winter tires but I think the AWD with all seasons will workout fine. If not, I will definitely look into this.

Winter tires + RWD/FWD > AWD with all season tires, though AWD may be enough for you, just don't expect the same grip as if you were riding on blizzaks.

That is an excellent way to sum it up.

Perhaps more important than getting your car moving is the ability to stop it. It doesn't matter if your car has 4WD, AWD, or ABS if your tires can't bite into the snow/ice when you step on the brake pedal.

OK, I've said it before on this forum... I absolutely love my Blizzaks. I've got the heavy duty WS50 "ice and snow" Blizzaks which have been superseded by the WS60. This is the fifth winter on my Blizzaks and they are still not worn down to the winter wear bars. After 23,000 miles (I keep track), the Blizzaks are are still not much noisier than my directional summer (not all-season) tires and they haven't required rebalancing a single time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the 2009 IS250 RWD standard packages.

Stock tire was 205/55R16 89W front and rear.

Since dealer shop is out of winter tire now, I just thinking to get the tire from normal auto shop (I lived in canada so I prefer Canadian tire).

Can anyone recommend any good winter tire?

And is it ok to purchase any tire from the store other than dealer if size match?