Snow Tires

Living in New England I bought 17" wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak tires from Direct Tire as soon as I picked up my '07 IS350 at the end of last winter. The Direct Tire people were unable to program the second set of sensors for the winter wheels, so I had to get that done at the Lexus dealer. Evidently Lexus keeps OEM specific apparatus for this job strictly in house. I had no problem with the winter set up after that, and no problem when the summer wheels/tires were put back on at Direct Tire in the spring of '07. The car permits two sets of pressure codes, which should be a good thing.

However, this winter when the 17" wheels/Blizzaks went back on the tire pressure warning appeared within about 30 minutes of driving even though the pressures were fine. The Direct Tire people reset it 3 times and each time it would relapse after about 30 minutes. I finally took it back to Lexus and they diagnosed the problem as one sensor going into "sleep mode" and only their equipment could wake it up! Cost me about $80, partially mitigated by a car wash and free lunch. I'll be *BLEEP*ed if this happens each time I swap the wheels.

The Blizzaks seem to work well when the car is on level ground, but even with the winter tires getting up my steep driveway has been a real problem. Conditions that would not have phased by old Acura TL completely stop the Lexus. My wife and I both work so when the driveway is icy we have to decide which one gets the Toyota RAV4 (not deterred by any amount of ice or snow) and who has to try the Lexus and maybe stay home. The IS250 AWD didn't appeal to me much, but this winter has me looking at BMW 335xi and I'm interested to see the Mitsu Lancer Evo MR when it comes out.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your support guys, I hope others can read this and get a better understanding about the IS350 and snow issues.

My snow tires are still going strong. Keep in mind, I drive carefully and I put it in snow mode and still tap on the pedal for the least amout of accelleration. So far, I have had a GREAT EXPERIENCE driving my IS 350 in the snow. With Snow tires, my car feels safe, stops like a normal car and keeps traction even in snow. Winter's not over yet and I know we have had a bit of a heat wave in january (Monday it was in the 60's!!) ... but I know more snow will fall again, but I have tried it several times in bad snow stores and so far so good.

On the dry days I keep the car driving slower than I would normally with my high performance tires so I don't wear the tire out. I read that you should not drive too fast with the snow tires.

I love my IS 350 (Best car between luxury and speed hands down). I don't plan on selling it unless I didn't feel safe in it, but so far so good. Lets see how the rest of winter goes.

Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

$2300 sounds like the Lexus dealer price for complete wheels as well as storage of your summer wheels. You can save at least 1000 bucks if you purchased from any other place but you have to store your own wheels. Lexus will charge full dealer price for the TPM sensors etc... so you get hosed really good.

Any snow tire should do well but Blizzaks are hard to beat. I chose Dunlops Sport 3D's based on a great deal of research. Make sure the tire you get has the snowflake / mountain icon on the tire sidewall.

I spent about 1400 for 4 snow tires with TPM sensors and aftermarket 17" rims. This includes shipping and ~$50 to have the TPM sensor ID's programmed by a Toyota dealer. Lexus wanted about 140 for the same service. Go Figure?????? There are even lower cost setups too.

The traction button you refer to defaults to the "ON" setting. You disable it when you push the button! This may explain some of your problems. Read the FM before you do something you will really regret.:chairshot:

Hey all,

I put about 4000 miles on the Dunlops over this winter in Chicago. Changed back to the stock 17’s this afternoon. Here are some pictures of the tire and the wear that occurred. I am happy as these tires didn't wear much. Driving style was just commuting to work with some fun on the on-ramps when conditions permitted.

Overall these tires worked very well for me. I can't say that they are the ultimate winter tire. Other types that have softer rubber compounds may have a better bite on pure ice but they usually are not V rated like these tires. It was very important for me not to lose any handling. These tires are just as good (or better when the temp is near zero) as far as dry road handling.

Regards,

post-39643-1206839897_thumb.jpg

post-39643-1206839931_thumb.jpg

Wow, the timing of this old thread....just looked outside and we have like two inches of snow on the ground!!! Almost April in western Washington state!!! Whodathunkit? :huh:

Yea,

It was a good year to try out snow tires in the mid-West. Lots of opportunities. Also I dug this thread and responded to it rather then make a new thread.

Hello,

I'm am on the verge of selling the best car I have ever driven, my 2007 IS 350.

Here's what happened yesterday. You know when your at a red light and the car in front inches up, and then you inch up? ... well, I let go of the break, inched up, and then slid a few more inches than I wanted (I didn't hit anyone, thank god). But yesterday in the snow, my car was helpless, I did NOT feel safe at all, I was driving soooo slow and I still skidded when I was stopping.

How GOOD are snow tires?? I have to drive an hour to work each day. I'm afraid to drive my lexus, so I rented a car... thinking I may sell it if I have to. What should I do?

Is Snow tires good enough? Some people also said to put weights or sand bags in the back. What should I do?? I want to get a new car this weekend or snow tires, what should I do?

Can anyone who drives (somewhat long distances) in the snow please respond. I am scared as hell to drive in the snow anymore with this car.

HELP!? :)

Thanks again

Jeff.

Get the AWD !!

• 3 months later...

I just bought the IS 250, manual RWD and my brother told me it was the worst car to buy because it is RWD and I will not be able to drive it in the winter. He said all RWD are terrible in the snow, rain, winter weather. Any thoughts from you guys who have driven the RWD. I love the car and especially love the stick shift and feel of RWD.

• 5 weeks later...

Probably you have Bridgestone Potenzas (summer tires) and this is what applies to them.

Not intended to be driven in snow or on ice, these technologically advanced ultra low profile, high speed tires combine computer developed designs, and unique materials with precision manufacturing techniques to provide an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet traction and handling.

The Potenza RE050 is an Max Performance Summer tire designed to complement the performance of sports cars, sports coupes and sport sedans. While the Potenza RE050 is used as Original Equipment on the supercharged Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan, a Potenza RE050 Scuderia version is used on the 12-cylinder Enzo Ferrari supercar, and a Run Flat version is used on the BMW Z4 sports cars and 5-Series sedans. The Potenza RE050 was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling. It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

• 1 month later...

hi,

own a 2007 Lexus IS-250 AWD. I am looking for snow tires and need recommendations. I live in Central NJ. I can order from tire rack unless there are tire sellers that sell the brands that you wonderful people recommend.

thanks

Do you really think, in Central NJ, that you need snows on the AWD?

hi,

i may be driving upstate NY to bufallo during winter so i figure the pure snows will work out.

do you not recommend pure snow tires in central nj as centarl nj does not get too much snow/ice? i am new to the area and it is my first winter here. have been a transplat from regions experiencing severe winter, bufallo,ny

hi,

i may be driving upstate NY to bufallo during winter so i figure the pure snows will work out.

do you not recommend pure snow tires in central nj as centarl nj does not get too much snow/ice? i am new to the area and it is my first winter here. have been a transplat from regions experiencing severe winter, bufallo,ny

I've lived in SE PA for 11 years--last winter, which was very mild, was my first winter with AWD. There was only one 3" storm, so it wasn't a good test. But before my IS, I always had FWD with AS tires--I never had an issue driving, even in a few heavy storms.

hi,

I've lived in SE PA for 11 years--last winter, which was very mild, was my first winter with AWD. There was only one 3" storm, so it wasn't a good test. But before my IS, I always had FWD with AS tires--I never had an issue driving, even in a few heavy storms.

Tex what all season would you recommend?

hi,

Tex what all season would you recommend?

I still have my OEM Potenzas RE92s. You should check out tirerack.com.

I just had the Goodyear F1 All Season tires installed on my RWD IS 350 (live in Denver, CO). Although I have not had a chance to drive them in the snow, I have had the chance to drive them in some heavy rains and I can report that they performed EXTREMELY well :D I printed off the Tire Rack price and took it to my local GY dealer who agreed to match the pricing from Tire Rack :cheers:

Another tire that several other LOC members have reported great success with are the Continental Extreme Contacts. You will find that the Continentals are less expensive than the F1's.

Let us know what you end up purchasing.

From a well know magazine that does not accept advertising:

H rated:

Brand ----------------------------- Rating

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 85

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 83

Falken Ziex ZE 512 83

Continental ContiProContact 81

Michelin Pilot XGT H4 81

Bridgestone Potenza RE950 80

BFGoodrich Traction T/A 78

Yokohama Avid H4s 77

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus 73

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 72

Kumho Solus KH16 72

Pirelli P6 Four Seasons 70

Bridgestone Potenza G009 70

Dayton Daytona HR 69

Fuzion HRi 69

Continental ContiPremierContact H 68

Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE 66

Hankook Optimo H418 62

V rated:

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 85

Yokohama Avid V4s 83

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 80

Continental ContiProContact 79

Falken Ziex ZE 512 76

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus 74

BFGoodrich Traction T/A 73

Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 65

Sumitomo HTR+ 63

Pirelli P6 Four Seasons 55

Continental ContiExtremeContact 50

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in purchasing a 6spd rwd is250. I live in toronto but travel to snowy montreal alot. How is the purformance of the IS in winter. Do all the electronic aids make a big difference or should I just go with the awd varient. The cost difference is quite big so I'm leaning towards the rwd. Of course i would be using good winter tires regardless of which car I buy.

Any feedback from owners is very appreciated.

Les

My IS350's VDIM saved my butt about a year ago when it snowed the one time in Feb 2007. I started slowly from a red light and began to slide diagonally to the left towards a curb. Right when I was about to steer into it to save my rims, the dash began beeping at me and the computer took control of the wheel, which was pretty weird. It righted my car back into a straight line. It was amazing. I noticed the the AWD includes the VDIM. I got mine used with only 7700 miles and saved $8k, making the same price as a new 250 that I almost bought. In this economy, you probably can get lucky like I did 21 months before Wall Street blew up! By the way, Car & Driver did a test of AWD vs just good snow tires and the tires did as well. Go to their site and search for "snow tires" and there are two articles about this comparison.

Honestly, living in the snow belt as well AWD is key for any car that I buy (outside of the probe that I have). I use to think that RWD with snow tires worked well until I saw first hand what happens when your car fishtails out of control. Both my cars have AWD and I put snow tires on them to boot (which is another arguement going around but I am all about safety.) Once I put my snow's on the cars with AWD it makes the commute to Cleveland and back a breeze.

Hope this helps.

If you are from Buffalo you could probably drive in the snow with 4 bald tires on a mustang better than someone from NJ with a hummer and 4 snows. I would be more worried about one of them causing the wreck then you with some decent All Seasons.

I live in Upstate NY and I have to drive no matter what all year round for work. The AWD has been terrific in the snow and I have been happy with All Seasons. This year I purchased snows since the tread was much lower on my all seasons than the previous winter and I wanted a bit more control for heading up to the ski areas.

Also, I was contemplating doing the full set of snows and summers on wheels with TPMS. However, based on the cost I found it much better to just buy a set of Snow tires and swap them out each season. The dealer will charge around $70 to mount an balance. If you factor in $140 / year (summer and winter) minus the cost of snow tires (= $600-700) you could do this for 5 years before the break even cost of having two sets @ $1,400.

Plus the snow tires will only last about 4-5 seasons depending on mileage, so you will be buying and mounting and balancing again anyway.

The only reason I would buy two sets is if you wanted to upgrade from the factory wheels.

I just got out of an RX8 lease and into an 08 IS350... I have snow tires and rims from the RX8.

They are 5x114, unsure of offset, and 215/55/17 all around. this would be 26.3" diameter all around.. the rear stocks are 26" so aside from an extra 1mph at 65mph speedo reading i don't foresee a problem.

the stock fronts are 25.1" tall.. the new ones will be 26.3" .. is that going to interfere with the suspension components? a 1.2" difference should be equal to a .6" suspension drop, so clearance shouldnt be an issue right?

is the speedometer measured from the front or the rear? front would be off by 5%.