Help On Current Selling Prices On Ls460 Swb

Hi all, I don't see many threads regarding current selling prices, and perhaps it's against forum policy. So forgive me and promptly delete this if so.

I'm looking for some advice here. I am in the market to purchase a 2008 LS460 SWB. MSRP with the comfort package (no-navigation) is about $65,000. I believe invoice on this would be around $56,500 or so.

My best price quote thusfar is $53,500. I've done some research, reading around, and apparently, I should be able to swing 4-5K below invoice.

Can anyone chime in here?

Thanks a ton. Again, my apologies if this post is against forum policy.

I think you may have read 4-5k below MSRP. $4-5k below invoice is the dealer taking a significant loss on the sale of the vehicle.

I think the $53k figure sounds like a great deal.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get $52,650 + TTL. So I'm very happy with the deal. Hopefully my buying experience will help others if they are currently in the market for an LS460.

Thanks again

On 10/15/08, I purchased a new 2008 LS460 (SWB) w/ Comfort Package, Navigation, Mark Levinson, Advanced Parking Guidance System, Intuitive Parking Assist, Power Trunk Open-Close/Power Door Closer, Preferred Accessory Package, Lexus Link. MSRP = $73,335, Invoice = $63,202, Price Paid = $62,588 plus Tax. Received price quotes from three dealers and this was by far the best one. But I'm still wondering if I could have done better, considering it is this late in the model year and the '09s are on their way.

On 10/15/08, I purchased a new 2008 LS460 (SWB) w/ Comfort Package, Navigation, Mark Levinson, Advanced Parking Guidance System, Intuitive Parking Assist, Power Trunk Open-Close/Power Door Closer, Preferred Accessory Package, Lexus Link. MSRP = $73,335, Invoice = $63,202, Price Paid = $62,588 plus Tax. Received price quotes from three dealers and this was by far the best one. But I'm still wondering if I could have done better, considering it is this late in the model year and the '09s are on their way.

Do you mind telling us what location are you from and what dealer you did business with? 3K below invoice, that insane! My father in law thinking of buying a new LS460, but the brand new one is too expensive, so he thought of looking at used. The lowest price I have seen so far used was 2007 LS460 with the options you had amd 36,000 miles for $45,000. Bad deal?

I think the poster was mistaken when they said they had a deal for 3k below invoice. The dealer would loose money on the car if they sold it for $3k under invoice.

I think it was a mistake too, but Mystic Gold got it for $800 under invoice and EsstooKayTD was 4K under...

I believe the 4000 is possible b/c of the manufacturer to dealer incentive they received (4000 bucks). So the dealership still has the hold back on the car (approx 1200). So, yeah, they didn't make much, but they still make money on the car.

All I know is, that's the pricing offered to me.

Do you mind telling us what location are you from and what dealer you did business with? 3K below invoice, that insane! My father in law thinking of buying a new LS460, but the brand new one is too expensive, so he thought of looking at used. The lowest price I have seen so far used was 2007 LS460 with the options you had amd 36,000 miles for $45,000. Bad deal?

Check your Inbox for a PM. Car was purchased from Lexus of Greenville, SC

$4k under invoice? I don't buy it...unless it was used. $800 under sure, thats probably the minimum a dealer could sell the car for and still make some money.

I was able to actually get the dealership down to 51650+TTL. BUT...the wife threw the flag at the last minute as I was about to finalize the deal. All that wheeling and dealing for nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
I think the poster was mistaken when they said they had a deal for 3k below invoice. The dealer would loose money on the car if they sold it for $3k under invoice.

In response to the above quote, it is important to bear in mind the fact that the dealer actually pays less than invoice for the car! How is this so? There is a customary back-end percentage return on every car sold that differs from one manufacturer to another. In addition, other elements factor into the actual cost of the vehicle and these include monies that the dealer may receive for selling a certain number of vehicles for a given time period, a number that could turn out to be quite significant. So, if you manage to negotiate a price that appears to be below the invoice as listed on the net, you can be sure that the dealer is probably not losing money on the deal, although, his profit margin may be thin. On the other hand, if he sells enough cars, he gets a windfall at the end of his designated selling period that should make up for any perceived loss.

What you're talking about is dealer holdback and you're right, for Lexus its 2% of the base MSRP, before options. So the base MSRP for an LS460 is what, $65k? so 2% of that is $1300, well less than $3000 below invoice.

What you're talking about is dealer holdback and you're right, for Lexus its 2% of the base MSRP, before options. So the base MSRP for an LS460 is what, $65k? so 2% of that is $1300, well less than $3000 below invoice.

Correction, the listed base price (MSRP) for the 2009 LS460 is $63,675.00

In addition to the "holdback," there are unit quota incentives that can amount to significant dollars to the selling dealer at the end of a given period (month, quarter, etc.). If the dealer is selling below invoice, the above motive may be in play and if he makes his quota and adds back the amount attributed to the sale of said vehicle, he will most likely still be in the black or better. Furthermore, many dealers add on fees (i.e. dealer fees, etc.) that compensate for a portion of any perceived discount. Therefore, when computing the value of the "deal," it's the bottom line that counts ... what you actually pay out of pocket when it comes time to sign the check or whatever financial vehicle you chose to employ. To be sure, it is the rare dealer who will sell at a loss, even in this market, unless it is part of a market exit strategy (i.e. going out of business, clearing out their floor plan, etc.)

Correction, the listed base price (MSRP) for the 2009 LS460 is $63,675.00

In addition to the "holdback," there are unit quota incentives that can amount to significant dollars to the selling dealer at the end of a given period (month, quarter, etc.). If the dealer is selling below invoice, the above motive may be in play and if he makes his quota and adds back the amount attributed to the sale of said vehicle, he will most likely still be in the black or better. Furthermore, many dealers add on fees (i.e. dealer fees, etc.) that compensate for a portion of any perceived discount. Therefore, when computing the value of the "deal," it's the bottom line that counts ... what you actually pay out of pocket when it comes time to sign the check or whatever financial vehicle you chose to employ. To be sure, it is the rare dealer who will sell at a loss, even in this market, unless it is part of a market exit strategy (i.e. going out of business, clearing out their floor plan, etc.)

I just leased a 2009 LS460 with Nav and ML stereo plus the Comfort plus package for $66k in San Diego. MSRP was around $73,000. I think I could have done a bit better but I had a trade in so I had to purchase locally.

I am VERY pleased with the car by the way. Absolutely no wind noise, amazing stereo and the nav is much improved from my GS300 (2001)! Katherine