Oil Vanishing In 2001 Rx 300

shah123

I have a 2001 RX300 with 96000 miles. I have to top off every 2 months or so while it is being used within the city. I ended up going to a city about 200 miles away and before I took off I topped off the oil to max, but after I came back (400 miles), the oil was gone. I had to put 2 qts to fill it up again.

The body shop mechanic lifted it up and told me that there is no apparent leak. Anyone knows what might be going on?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a 2001 RX300 with 96000 miles. I have to top off every 2 months or so while it is being used within the city. I ended up going to a city about 200 miles away and before I took off I topped off the oil to max, but after I came back (400 miles), the oil was gone. I had to put 2 qts to fill it up again.

The body shop mechanic lifted it up and told me that there is no apparent leak. Anyone knows what might be going on?

Thanks.

That's scary. 2 quarts low is not good. Anymore lost oil and you can throw a rod and blow your engine. It happened to me years ago on a jumker that was burning/leaking oil. Just stay on top of it until you have it checked out and find out what's going on. To save money on oil in the meantime, use a cheaper/non-synthetic oil.

Thanks.

If there is no apparent leaks, then you ave another possibility.ne is you burning it, which means your piston oil rings are gone, or you have "internal" leak. Possibility from the block to antifreeze, check there, but Toyota engine normaly do not burn oil. I have 107K and it holds from oil change to oil change (5K mi) with no losses. Also emission test will tell you if your engine burns oil.

I hope it helps.

It sounds that you are dealing with oil sludge issue.

Google it or search this forum to get all the information. You can also take a look at:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007...settlement.html

If you are still within 8 years of your RX manufacture/sold date then you can get it repaired free at any Lexus Dealer.