Bose, Jbl , And Mark Levinson?

hi ,

first of all this is my first time around here, so hello to all!!

i have a quick question, and hoping you guy can give me some idea. i looking forward to buy a 09 gs350 awd. the navigation option come with mark levinson audio package. has anyone in here own a lexus with that brand system? how do you like it? do you think it better than bose?

hi ,

i have a quick question, and hoping you guy can give me some idea. i looking forward to buy a 09 gs350 awd. the navigation option come with mark levinson audio package. has anyone in here own a lexus with that brand system? how do you like it? do you think it better than bose?

I have it in my GS430 2006, but I heard that it's not that much more better than the regular system.

I bought my car used though, so the extra cost of it doesn't matter any more. On a new car...might be too expensive for me.

hi ,

I have it in my GS430 2006, but I heard that it's not that much more better than the regular system.

I bought my car used though, so the extra cost of it doesn't matter any more. On a new car...might be too expensive for me.

do you think it sound better than bose?

my friend just bought a 2009 toyota highlander, and have jbl audio system in his car. he brag that jbl is father off bose and sound better. he compare his car to a 2009 nissan murano which carry bose. i'm younger than him so i don't want to argue with him in front of the group, and i can't prove that right. it just get me *BLEEP* cause i have bose system in my sedan!! so what do you guy think? anyway i looking forward to buy a gs350. i know that the navigation package come with mark levingson audio system with it. wondering if it would be better than bose, AND JBL?

my friend just bought a 2009 toyota highlander, and have jbl audio system in his car. he brag that jbl is father off bose and sound better. he compare his car to a 2009 nissan murano which carry bose. i'm younger than him so i don't want to argue with him in front of the group, and i can't prove that right. it just get me *BLEEP* cause i have bose system in my sedan!! so what do you guy think? anyway i looking forward to buy a gs350. i know that the navigation package come with mark levingson audio system with it. wondering if it would be better than bose, AND JBL?

:lol:

I would say that 90% of stock stereo systems are a compromise of sound, quality, and expense. And in this comparison, I would say they are both the same quality. Keep in mind that both Bose and JBL only make speakers. And niether use thier premier speaker line as stock speakers, and both are being hooked up to a different head and amp. I'm not sure about the Nissan, but the Toyota probably has a Pioneer head and amp.

So, to finish answering your question, yes the Mark Levinson system is better than both. Alot better, as you are getting a Mark Levinson head unit, and amp. But IMO, the speakers can still be upgraded for even better sound than that again.

I have the ML system in an 06 GS430. Previously, I had the Bose system in a Cadillac CTS. Both are nice. The Bose system had more adjustability to suit your personal preference on sound characteristics. The ML system has few user adjustable options - but still sounds really good as it is.

I've heard the difference between the standard system and the ML upgrade is substantial. But the difference in the Bose and ML systems is not significant enough that it factor into my choice of car.

For audio, Lexus only uses either MarkLevinson or Pioneer for their cars....I don't think they use Bose. ;)

The mark levinson systems are probably the best OEM systems I've heard in a while... considering I don't even like OEM systems. I've had bose systems in my Mazda and Cadillac but that was years ago, I'm sure they have come a long way. I have a JBL factory system in my Solara but its weak... so I can't really say anything objectively... each car has a different setup. I'm more of an aftermarket kinda guy...

Keep in mind that both Bose and JBL only make speakers.

I'm sorry to disagree.....both Bose and JBL also manufacture amplifiers.

Also, the ML system was designed to use the drivers(speakers) that were originally installed, not aftermarket! The reason being, the equalization curves on the head amp are designed to complement the complete operation of this system within the cabin of the car model that it was designed to work in. Aftermarket speakers will generally have different characteristics thereby eliminating the flat frequency response(peaky).

I have audiophile experience dating back to the early 1970s, much more so in the home audio application rather than the vehicle audio application. My experience is that Altec makes the best speakers, followed closely by JBL. Bose has always spent far more money on advertising their quality, but many long-time technicians in the audio business have little respect for Bose since they believe that Bose excels in marketing itself but unfortunately builds merely average audio equipment....

The ML system's in dash center channel has no volume control and is too loud,IMO.

The center channel drowns out all the other speakers.This has been said in IS models as well.

I find the system dissapointing.

The center channel is too loud when you have the system in surround mode. The ML system is capable of 7.1 surround sound which has little value unless you're parked and watching a DVD in the Nav screen. For radio or CD music, turn the surround function off. Radio and CD music is in stereo (2 channel) only, so when you apply the digital 7.1 processing to the 2 channel signal, the system tries to emulate surround. With surround mode turned off, the 2 channel stereo sounds just fine.

Keep in mind that both Bose and JBL only make speakers.

I'm sorry to disagree.....both Bose and JBL also manufacture amplifiers.

Also, the ML system was designed to use the drivers(speakers) that were originally installed, not aftermarket! The reason being, the equalization curves on the head amp are designed to complement the complete operation of this system within the cabin of the car model that it was designed to work in. Aftermarket speakers will generally have different characteristics thereby eliminating the flat frequency response(peaky).

I was referring to the models the op was using as examples. Both the Nissan Murano, and the Toyota Highlander don't use JBL or Bose HU's or amplifiers. That's why I said in this comparison.

And as for the ML system, I agree, the Mark Levinson sound engineers tuned the sound system very nicely. But the components of the ML system are not made by ML. ML doesn't even have an automotive sound division. ML is owned by Harman Int'l. Harman owns Harmon Kardon, Crown, dbx, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Soundcraft, and a few others.

[ ML is owned by Harman Int'l. Harman owns Harmon Kardon, Crown, dbx, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Soundcraft, and a few others.

Interesting you note Infinity, because they're my favorite "store brand" speaker I've ever had. I think they're exceptionally clear. My all-time favorite speaker is called Phase-Tech, but I haven't a clue where to find them anymore. Had (and still have) a pair of floor speakers from them from the early 90's. One 8 inch woofer, one tweeter, and the imagery and sound is just stunning, even today.

My 01 Maxima had Bose. My 07 Mazda 3 has Bose. The 4runner has JBL "I think". The in-law's chrystler has infinity. Of the lot, the Chrystler has the best sound, in my opinion. But the nissan and mazda aren't / weren't bad at all. The 4runner...sucks. But I'm no audio guy anymore.

1st of all, ML and Nav are 2 seperate option, you can buy one without the other. If you are from Fall River MA, than most of the GS will have the Nav but not the ML system. My best advice is to go listen to them both back to back. You cant compare it to the Bose system, because the Bose system, much like ML system are very different in different cars. I listen to the ML system and the Lexus system in the GS back to back at the dealer for 30 minutes. The ML was a tad better, but I could not justify the extra $2000. To me, the OEM system is pretty good for a standard radio. Again go test drive and test listen and then decide :) Make sure you bring a good CD or DVD music if you have it.

• 3 weeks later...
The mark levinson systems are probably the best OEM systems I've heard in a while... considering I don't even like OEM systems. I've had bose systems in my Mazda and Cadillac but that was years ago, I'm sure they have come a long way. I have a JBL factory system in my Solara but its weak... so I can't really say anything objectively... each car has a different setup. I'm more of an aftermarket kinda guy...

mark levinson hands down love it on my girls 06 gs

• 1 year later...

I have ES330 2004 with Mark Levinson and I have to say even though its a bit better that regular one Mark Levinson should be embarrased of this particular system. Mark Levinson in the LS430 is completely different story, it is truly good sounding.

For the most car on the market doesn't matter the factory sound system is a cheap garbage, regardless of who the car manufacturer paid for the logo: Boss, JBL or Mark Levinson. You will still find cheap chinese "paper" speakers and 2 ohm weak amplifier because its cheaper to produce.

To get good sound first of all you need enough power to run 4 ohm speakers, which 99% of factory amps don't have. The speakers themselves have to be made from special quality material which is again very expensive.

I ended up spending $3000 to upgrade my sound system and now my car sounds so much better that it basically beats not only all the factory sound systems but most after market as well. The reason is that I used Focal speakers that are considered to be the best in the world with regards to sound quaility, detail, sound stage etc.

Its is very expensive and complex to upgade factory sound system, so if you don't have around 3000 to spend on I don't recommend even trying.

Replacing head unit is difficult and expensive but it may be worth it because you can get full range sound then which could be fed directly into after market amp.

Not replacing head unit is difficult and expensive too! The reason is that factory unit outputs the singal which is heavily equalized to compensate for low quality speakers. Not only its equalized its also crossed over to devide frequencies between 7 or more speakers in the car. So in order to integrate the factory unit with after market speakers and amp, the signal has to be first summed up using so called soming unit and then flattened using a special unit called clean sweep made by JL Audio. If you don't do this you will end up with really distorted sound which would make your high end speakers and amp waste of money. Then you would need to add good subwoower because again factory one is a piece of junk.

So here is what I've got installed and what it cost me.

Focal 165 KR K2 Power speakers - $630 (I find little difference between these and twice more expensive KRX2 which I think are nothing more than a marketing move for Focal

Alpine PDX 5 amp (very powerful and really is best deal for the money) - $420 (from woofersetc.com)

JL Audio Cleansweep - about 230$ (from woofersetc.com)

JL Audio Summing unit - about $170

JL Audio W6 sub - $500 in the case

Ipod integration unit - $200

Woofer remote volume contol nob - $75

Cables - about $350

Soundproofing (must) - $100

Labour - $550

----------------------

Total - $3225

The sound is worth every dollar. But I still recommend you replacing the head unit if you can which would cost about 300-700 more depending on what you are going to buy. Because this way you will be able to use original unit volume control and not the cleansweep volume control which your factory unit has to remain at certain fixed position. Calibrating cleansweep at proper volume to avoid distortion is difficult so if you can avoid that its better. The problem is the volume of factory head unit really affects the outputed singnal. If calibrated at 3/4 of the volume as its recommened the problem could be that the there is not enough volume coming out of the amp so a lot of gain should be used.

I have a 01 GS-430 with Mark Levinson audio an no NAV. The ML Amp is going out and I am investigating alternatives. So far I have come up with:

1) Replace the ML AMP with a reconditioned unit. Cost: $700.00

2) Replace the head unit with a current tech unit, bypass the ML AMP(S). I have been told this will sound really bad as there will be no amps. Cost $450.003) Replace the whole system with a new head unit, all new speakers and a 5 channel amp. Cost: $2815.00 installed. The stereo shop informs me the that this system would be equal or better in sound to the Mark Levinson system.

While I would like to get all the current bells and whistles of a new head unit, I think I am going with option 1.

• 4 years later...

The ML system's in dash center channel has no volume control and is too loud,IMO.

The center channel drowns out all the other speakers.This has been said in IS models as well.

I find the system dissapointing.

I totally agree. I own a 2002 SC430 with Mark Levinson and it is FANTASTIC!!! I recently bought a new (2014) ES300h with Mark Levinson expecting it to be as good as my SC. But I find the sound to be very overly bright and, as Joe says, the center speaker is overly loud blocking sound from the other speakers. I have tried turning down the treble, but to no avail. I then tried boosting the bass, but the unpleasant brightness is still there. Why doesn't such an expensive system come with an equalizer? I am extremely dissatisfied with this system, but what can I do?

The speakers in my SC430 had to be replaced in 2005 (3 yrs old). Apparently this was a common problem and it was fixed under warranty. It seems the surround material on the speakers deteriorates until it no longer holds the cone in the center of the driver. I assume ML has corrected this situation. A year ago the speakers broke down again. This time it is not under warranty and the dealer quoted a price of $300 for each speaker replacement (2 of them need to be replaced). I have done nothing since after Googling and finding how difficult it is to replace (taking off the door panels is quite difficult). There are videos of people doing it. My service contact at Lexus suggested a local car sound company replace the speakers for a much more reasonable price. So far I hesitate after viewing the videos.

• 2 months later...

Hi Larry,

I wonder if there isn't something else going on to cause your speakers to fail so often. Are the speakers of the right impedance?

Is the amplifier and crossover net work at their correct levels? You might want to ask your independent tech to do some diagnostics.

Paul

Hi Larry,

I wonder if there isn't something else going on to cause your speakers to fail so often. Are the speakers of the right impedance?

Is the amplifier and crossover net work at their correct levels? You might want to ask your independent tech to do some diagnostics.

Paul

At the advice of my Lexus personal representative, I was able to have the speakers replaced by a local private car audio business for less than half the price. He put in Pioneer speakers and the system now sounds great. The repair guy was quite familiar with the problem and said he had performed such replacement in many SC430s before. He also said it can be partially caused by excessive heat in the car. I live is southern Florida and have no garage nor car port. Needless to say, the car can get pretty hot. However, I have also read many other blogs of people having the same problem, and there are several videos on U-Tube showing DIY methods of replacement. So apparently this is common and does not have anything to do with impedance or amplifier.