Need Help With Fat Bolt

BlackSC4

hi, for all the mechanics that have changed timing belts, how the **** do i take off the crankshaft pulley bolt. that thing is in TIGHT and does not want to come out. impact gun doesnt work either, will an air compressor do? after i get it out, how do i apply that much force back in to tighten it again??? thanks for any help!

The bolt face & pulley face get their surfaces mated up against themselves so well they just become "stuck" & you can't hardly twist the bolt loose in the conventional way. You need a stronger impact wrench,over 200 lb. torque. Another way I've done it is to take a acetelene torch, heat the bolt head red, let it set (soak) about 1 min., then you can turn it easily, heat makes the bolt get longer (expands long ways). Good luck

i've been using a 217lb torque impact wrench...doesnt even move it. so what i did was i found a socket wrench big enough to fit the fat bolt and wrapped the wrench with a thick pipe and let it land onto the floor then cranked the starter. popped right off.

Yeah, I've seen some shops using an open-head wrench and a thick metal sleeve, and pull.

BlackSC4: Why are you torqueing it to 239lbs'? you should just tighten it so that it stops any leaks, or else change the bolt.