Wow....wd-40 Is Amazing!

I've been having crazy problems with my 1992 SC400 that I purchased for 580.00 bucks with 160,000 mls. The problems began with a leaking water pump. Neglecting to replace that caused the engine to overheat and every since....the idle was real bad. Continuous leaking then caused the alternator to go out. So....basically...I was ready to scrap the project. I assumed the head gasket was blown and I needed a new engine. So I sprayed some WD-40 all over the engine and especially where I believed the alternator to be. 2 hours later....the engine fired right up, the idle was smooth, power was restored, and the alternator regained its charging abilities. I love this stuff! I've been given another chance. So I will be replacing the water pump asap. YYEESSSS!!!!! :lol:

:huh: basically cant really reply to that ...lmao... but congrats on the second chance... I have a old out board motor for a bass boat that hasnt ran in years...I will be purchasing a large can of WD-40 for it shortly...lmao... let us know if it helps the gas mileage any..thanks :P and again.. congrats on the ride.

:huh: basically cant really reply to that ...lmao... but congrats on the second chance... I have a old out board motor for a bass boat that hasnt ran in years...I will be purchasing a large can of WD-40 for it shortly...lmao... let us know if it helps the gas mileage any..thanks :P and again.. congrats on the ride.

hahaha so basically you just showered the entire engine with WD-40 and it made it good as new? hahah my sc400 has the flu right now too iv been told it needs an EGR valve so its running disgustingly awful right now...ill just shower some WD in there and see whats up.

hahaha so basically you just showered the entire engine with WD-40 and it made it good as new? hahah my sc400 has the flu right now too iv been told it needs an EGR valve so its running disgustingly awful right now...ill just shower some WD in there and see whats up.

Funny, my 92 SC400 was making terrible noises when I turned the wheels or went over speed bumps.. Doused the bushings and undercarraige with WD-40 and she's like new! WD-40 is everything good with the world! B)

WD-40 is a fabulous thing.

I use it to keep the entire contents of my engine bays looking good after a through cleaning with Simple Green.

It keeps things lubricated, keeps rubber soft and supple, and most importantly - it displaces water.

Strange that it won't last past the next time you drive it in the rain.

:huh:

Brandon,

You Alt probably was shorting from the waterpump leak.

The WD-40 removed the water and the short stopped.

From some previous stuff i learnt in college WD -40 stands for nasa on its 40 try getting the formula right for a water displacement spray.

Unknown if it is the truth or not , but i have never been attacked by birds because of the fish oil . :)

ok i did a check , i am not totally off as it is from 1953 and the name is right and dealt with a rocket company.

http://inventors.about.com/od/wstartinvent.../a/WDFourty.htm

According to the company that makes WD-40: WD-40 literally stands for water displacement 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who helped develop WD-40 back in 1953. Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula for WD-40 on his 40th try.

WD-40 was invented by the three founders of the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, California. The team of inventors were working on a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

WD-40 was first used to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. Norm Larsen repackaged WD-40 into aerosol cans for consumer use and the product was sold to the general public in 1958. In 1969, the Rocket Chemical Company was renamed after its only product WD-40.

You hit it right on the head! As soon as the water pump starts leaking again, the alternator goes out. The engine starts sputtering, loosing power, and dies. I believe that if the alternator fails to provide proper voltage then the system can no longer function properly. Hence....all the problems. WD-40 wakes it back up everytime. One question though.....should I only replace the water pump....or also the alternator.

Well wrong war but same idea.

Here's a few uses for it.

wd_40_2042538679.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

ok just to make sure...my car was having the same sputtering problem about a year ago. Ever since then it's been in and out of body shops and I probably spent a fortune on different parts replacement. Here are just some things that the shops and I have replaced. Alternator, starter, spark plugs & wires, pcv valve, cap & rotors, serpentine belt. After all this the car seems to be running fine and no more sputtering, but however I know I probably need a new TRAC switch. Can anyone tell me where to get one for cheap because as far as I see, it's pretty simple to replace, and I would also like to know if after replacing it, do I have to adjust the timing or anything? Also want to know where exactly did you spray the WD-40, like in certain spots or just basically held the can up to the engine and just sprayed it everywhere?