Vsc Indicator Light On 06 Gs 300

Hey there! I'm new to this site and have some questions that i hope some of you maybe able to answer for me. I just purchased an 06 GS 300 with 40k miles a few days ago . I got a good deal on it but i know i'd have to put a little $$$ into for some details like the tires and brakes. The car had 4 different crappy tires and i had one replaced already on the front end....two days later my VSC indicator light came on. The owners manual says it the traction contol and stablizing control as well. Is the car still safe to drive??? Could the light be on from the new tire and the cheap brakes that are on it (i'm replacing the brakes next weekend)? HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST TO FIX and should the warranty cover this as well???Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sure it's safe to drive. You've still got 10K miles left on the basic warranty so make sure you have the dealer fix everything and apply all relevant TSBs before 50K miles. Yes, the VSC issue should be covered under the basic 50K warranty.

Did the previous owner put on some sort of crappy brake pads or something else? What do you mean by "cheap brakes"? OEM front brake pads on most Toyota/Lexus cars usually last way more than 40K miles unless a car has been driven very hard.

Sure it's safe to drive. You've still got 10K miles left on the basic warranty so make sure you have the dealer fix everything and apply all relevant TSBs before 50K miles. Yes, the VSC issue should be covered under the basic 50K warranty.

Did the previous owner put on some sort of crappy brake pads or something else? What do you mean by "cheap brakes"? OEM front brake pads on most Toyota/Lexus cars usually last way more than 40K miles unless a car has been driven very hard.

The brakes sqeal when I come to stop so I am assuming that the brakes were replaced....

Other than that the car runs great (knock on wood).....

The brakes sqeal when I come to stop so I am assuming that the brakes were replaced....

Brake pad squeal caused by low dust brake pads on the 3rd gen GS are a known problem.

I suspect your original brake pads were replaced with low dust brake pads at a Lexus dealer under a TSIB that addressed customer complaints that dust from the original pads made the wheels dirty.

Contact your Lexus dealer.

i SPOKE WITH THEM YESTERDAY AT THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID TO UNSCREW THE GAS CAP AND DRIVE AROUND FOR ABOUT 3 MILES AND IT SHOULD TURN ITSELF OFF....NO LUCK...I'M TAKING IT IN fRIDAY TO FIND OUT WHAT'S UP WITH IT....ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM????

THEY SAID TO UNSCREW THE GAS CAP AND DRIVE AROUND FOR ABOUT 3 MILES AND IT SHOULD TURN ITSELF OFF

Sounds like you are dealing with a comedian! WTF does VSC have to do with the gas cap?

I just posted instructions on another thread on how to reset the VSC on my 2000 LS400 after replacing or reconnecting the car battery -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=52097&hl=

Like I said on that thread, your problem may be unrelated.

Please let us know what fixes your problem!

Here's the deal...i thought i was being clowned when they told me to unscrew the gas cap and then put it back on....it's what i did, drove to work and when i left for the day the FREAKIN LIGHT WAS OFF!!! THouught i'd let you guys know if you ever run into this problem!

Here's the deal...i thought i was being clowned when they told me to unscrew the gas cap and then put it back on....it's what i did, drove to work and when i left for the day the FREAKIN LIGHT WAS OFF!!! THouught i'd let you guys know if you ever run into this problem!

Are you talking about the CHECK ENGINE light, the VSC warnings or both?

My understanding is that the CHECK ENGINE warning can indeed be caused by a loose or defective gas cap.

At least on my car, the VSC warnings have been caused only by an electrical problem such as a defective battery or has occurred after disconnecting and reconnecting a battery. I've noticed that if I do not perform the VSC reset procedure after reconnecting the battery, it will reset on its own and the CHECK VSC message will disappear within a day In fact, I have usually let it reset itself. The last time I had to replace a battery, the VSC warnings reset themselves by the time I drove home -- about 20 miles.

• 1 year later...

i seem to have a very similar problem. I am attempting to drive around without the gas cap and then putting it back on but it doesnt seem to work. Perhaps you did it a certain way? Did you unscrew the gas cap while the car was still running? Did you screw it back on while the car was running or you turned it on/off between !Removed! the gas cap back in.

Please try to be specific so i can try it out for myself and see if that solves my problem

The lights will not go out immediately. It will take a couple of drives. So....tighten your gas cap, make sure it clicks a couple of times. Then, drive for a couple of days. If everything is right, the lights will turn off.

At least, that's how it went for my car. Good luck!

--Duckman

Same thing happened to my 06 GS300. Called dealer and he said take off gas cap and put back on. Did this and drove for 4 days. Light stayed on. Took to dealer and in 15 minutes they said I had bad gas cap. Unfortunately, they did not have one in stock..They cleared the light, and ordered me a new gas cap. Should be picking it up at the dealer in a couple of days. In meantime, the light has not gone back on.

I just got this. I went to Autozone and got a OBD2 scanner and saw that P0441 and P0455 came up.

My personal friend/mechanic says that there's 3 possible issues: the vacuum seal valve, charcoal canister, or gap cap's rubber gasket. Says it's probably the gasket, and I think so too - when I undo the gas cap, it does not hiss - meaning that it's not retaining pressure. I'll see if Lexus can figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

i SPOKE WITH THEM YESTERDAY AT THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID TO UNSCREW THE GAS CAP AND DRIVE AROUND FOR ABOUT 3 MILES AND IT SHOULD TURN ITSELF OFF....NO LUCK...I'M TAKING IT IN fRIDAY TO FIND OUT WHAT'S UP WITH IT....ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM????

Exact same thing happen to my 06GS300.. Dealer replaced gas cap under warranty and problem went away. According to the dealer, this is very common.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can add my '06 GS300 to the "replace fuel cap" for the P0456 code, with VSC, TRAC and Check Engine lights/warnings on. Cleared it myself a couple of weeks ago after re-seating the fuel cap gasket. But the code got triggered again yesterday. Brought it to the dealer today and they replaced the fuel cap. Interestingly, the service order says "replaced fuel cap, cleared code as per TSIB L-SB-0168-09". I hadn't seen, or missed, any postings of this issue related to a TSIB.

Part number on the new cap is 77300-47010 per the service order.

Presumably the -09 suffix means it's a 2009 TSIB, but can't seem to find it via search here or google.

I'm curious to read that TSIB (L-SB-0168-09). It's my nature to be curious! Anyone have this TSIB and could post it, or a link here?

• 2 weeks later...