Do You Use Synthetic Oil

Andrewsreef

nah, i use 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic all year round, I gots to keep it simple. No problems with Mobil 1 filters or K&N.

Hey, you taking the road trip this Sunday with a bunch of us NJ for a huge Lexi meeet.

steviej

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I only use synthetic in all of my vehicles. It has been proven in many tests to stand up to heat better and to have a lower coefficient of friction! For expensive cars I only want the best in lubrication.

I use Amsoil 5w-30 (AME) with there SDF filters inmy es300. Been using it in all my toys since 94. Use their 20-50 oil in my gsx-r1100, 15-40 in my Kubota 22 hp tractor & wifes ML-420.

Also have tripled the oil internals in the 1-year max time line on my cars, used it since day 1 (mile 00000) and have had no problem either. No seal BS etc.

Is synthetic oil worth the price sure. I do not just go by price, go by what you get for your money. The added benefit is the time saved not doing oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles; which has no proof to prevent anything. Now doing that is priceless. Plus I have more important things to do in life then oil changes.

Now that I have made the switch, a friend of mine says the synthetic oil may cause an oil leak if I have dry seals.

Are you using the synthetic oil?  WHat brand and did it cause any kind of oil leak?

Thanks

ANdrew

Not to worry, my '95 LS4 is at 228,5xx miles. I switched to Mobile 1 syn in March, and I have no oil leaks whatsoever. Like Steviej told me, synthetic doesn't cause leaks; it just seeps through preexisting leaks that the conventional oil was pluging. :D

BTW, this rattle that you talk about at start-up...is it constant, or does it stop after the engine has turned over? My LS has a rattle at start-up; it does it for maybe 1 second; I think it's a loose exhaust componet somewhere. I'll have to look into it later. :wacko:

:cheers:

From what I have read, it is perfectly okay to use synthetic oil in a new engine.  The synthetic doesn't prevent proper break in, it just lubricates very well.

You are right! The Corvette ships from Bowling Green with Mobile 1 Synthetic already in the engine. That's good enough argument for me! :D

You are right! The Corvette ships from Bowling Green with Mobile 1 Synthetic already in the engine. That's good enough argument for me! :D

as does the Dodge Viper and I have heard the entire MB line of vehicles now.

steviej

I'm almost sold on synthetic oil. Never used it before, always thoght it was over priced. I'm looking for some input on how often to change your synthetic oil and comments why I should pay $4 per quart.

Thank you in advance for your comments :cheers:

1. what you spend extra on the bottle of synthetic will more than be recouped in the increase in mpg. Average increase is about 1-2 mpg so you will save at the pump.

2. you can increase you interval to 5k miles with synthetic from 3k miles with dino. If you drive 15k miles in one year you will have changed your oil 3 times with synthetic and 5 times with dino.

Let's do the math: Assuming you do the oil changes yourself.

6 qts synthetic x 3 = 18 qts, @ $4 ea = total of $72

6 qts dino oil x 5 = 30 qts, @ $2 ea = total of $60

so the savings with dino oil in a years time is not that much, $12, which will be made up in item 1.

you will also be using less oil, a small part in the environmental conservation. (I had to throw that one in).

steviej

The major oil companies like Mobil, Chevron, Valvoline and Pennzoil make both synthetic and conventional oils, but do not claim the synthetics improve gas mileage. Nor do they claim synthetics substantially extend engine life. Here's a picture of the label of Mobil 1 synthetic vs. conventional Mobil Oil: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oilcomp.jpg With regard to how often synthetic oils should be changed, on their websites, both Toyota & Lexus strongly advise against extending oil changes when using synthetics http://www.saber.net/~monarch/synno10K.jpg So this begs the question, what substantial, easily demonstrated, clear cut benefits do synthetics really provide? None, except in very cold winter climates your engine will be somewhat easier to start when temperatures dip to zero degrees F or below.

Well Mobil 1 does advertise that they tested an engine & ran it for over a million miles. They took the engine apart & found "vertually no engine wear". I have yet to see a conventional product claim this. It does get that cold here in the great white north as you mentioned & that is one of many reasons I use the Mobil 1 synthetic.......as it also states......one should NOT switch back & forth between the two so...... :whistles: There ya go. I also know that using synthetic burns off a hell of a lot less than conventional oil, my dad's 1990 Park Avenue is proof of that!

The major oil companies like Mobil, Chevron, Valvoline and Pennzoil make both synthetic and conventional oils, but do not claim the synthetics improve gas mileage.

no saber (sorry....monarch), they don't state gas mileage increases. My gas tank, my wallet, and my experience do with my car. This has also been experienced by others.

As for extending oil changes, I didn't. Read the post. I stated 5k miles with synthetic. That IS the oil change interval that Toyota states. I actually shorten thier interval with dino because I don't trust dino lasting that longer.

mbpgawest: the bottom line is that this is a decision you need to make for yourself and determine you level of comfort with whatever oil you choose to run in your vehicle. There are previous and currently ongoing heated debates on this very subject. There is no real wrong oil, as long as it meets the API/SAE criteria set for you vehicle. Just stay within your comfortable change interval and always change the filter.

There ARE advantages to synthetic and there are advantages to dino. You have to decide for yourself what is more beneficial based on your driving habits and location.

steviej

[quote=steviej, no saber (sorry....monarch), they don't state gas mileage increases. My gas tank, my wallet, and my experience do with my car. This has also been experienced by others.

steviej, have you heard of any commerical courier, security patrol, delivery, etc. type companies who use synthetic oils in their fleets of vehicles in order to gain 1-2 more miles per gallon? Has Honda and Toyota equipped their gas mileage champ hybrid-electric vehciles with synthetic motor oil, synthetic transmission oil, synthetic CV joint grease and synthetic wheel bearing grease in order to gain more miles per gallon? Low rolling resistance tires as standard equipment on these cars so that tells me Honda and Toyota do care about eeking out more miles per gallon where possible and practical.

Well Mobil 1 does advertise that they tested an engine & ran it for over a million miles.  They took the engine apart & found "vertually no engine wear".  I have yet to see a conventional product claim this. 

Well Mobil didn't do a side by side comparison test with conventional oil using the same engine. So the public is left in the dark about the engine wear reducing capabilities of conventional oil. I already mentioned my own experience of how Mobil 1 failed to stop piston ring wear any better than conventional oil in Chevy Vega engines I owned in the 1970's. Likewise, Mobil 1 doesn't seem to be providing any substantial wear benefit in my 444,444 mile 1992 Toyota 22R-E engine: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/444.jpg After 444,000 miles, the oil consumption rate is about 2500 miles per quart vs almost no oil consumption between 5,000 miles changes when the engine was near new. An acquiantance, Jeff Foster, from Tennesee, reports an oil consumption rate of 2,000 miles per quart on his 1987 22R engine after 455,000 miles of using a dinosaur oil changed every 5,000 miles. We both used Toyota oil and air filters and both of our engines still run very well and are no where near being worn out. But the similar rate of oil consumption after about 450,000 miles suggests similar rates of piston ring and cylinder bore wear in both engines.

steviej, have you heard of any commerical courier, security patrol, delivery, etc. type companies who use synthetic oils in their fleets of vehicles in order to gain 1-2 more miles per gallon?  Has Honda and  Toyota equipped their gas mileage champ hybrid-electric vehciles with synthetic motor oil, synthetic transmission oil, synthetic CV joint grease and synthetic wheel bearing grease in order to gain more miles per gallon?  Low rolling resistance tires as standard equipment on these cars so that tells me Honda and Toyota do care about eeking out more miles per gallon where possible and practical.

I don't base my decisions on what fleet vehicles do. I don't think that I really should, my driving doesn't compare to the constant on/off of those vehicles.

I know what works for me and your suggestions DO NOT.

I don't understand your extreme negativity to synthetic fluids so I must ask.

Why are you such an opponent of synthetics and any other motor oil but Genuine Toyota? Answer this without links to your sites or any other techinical information. It is a simple personal question.

You constantly slam other oils and other members here and on CL for even the thought of using a synthetic. Did Mobil1 fire you from a past job? Do you stand to profit from the use of Toyota?

my bottom line....I switched to synthetic and picked up on average 1-2 mpg. Monarch, that is all the proof I need for me. What you do or believe is your business.

For all those interested in further reading on the exact same subject, here is a link to a heated discussion. Enjoy, but I warn, it is long. Highly worthwhile, though.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...15&pagenumber=1

steviej

[quote I don't understand your extreme negativity to synthetic fluids so I must ask. Why are you such an opponent of synthetics and any other motor oil but Genuine Toyota?  Answer this without links to your sites or any other techinical information.  It is a simple personal question. 

You constantly slam other oils and other members here and on CL for even the thought of using a synthetic.  Did Mobil 1 fire you from a past job?  Do you stand to profit from the use of Toyota? 

Steviej I have nothing against Mobil. In fact, I'm almost sure Toyota contracts Mobil to formulate Genuine Toyota Motor Oil. Indeed, I've used Mobil 1 synthetic for over 444,000 miles in one of my Toyotas. But over the years I've also become acquainted with many other 400,000 - 692,000 mile Toyota owners. These other owners have used a wide variety of brands and weights of dino oils (although none used ultra cheap Walmart type oils or filters) . So it looks like the Mobil 1 synthetic, while a very good oil, offers no substantial engine wear benefits compared to many popular brands of dino oil. And perhaps the reason why the Asian car engineers have not enthusiastically embraced synthetic motor oils is because they have known all along that synthetic oils offer no substantial wear benefits in THEIR (Asian car) engines. Now considering that the Toyota engineers took the time and trouble to develop Genuine Toyota Motor Oil specifically for Toyota engines and even priced it competitively I think it's worth a look. I think it's reasonable to assume Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is formulated to excell in some characteristics. These characteristics might involve sludge resistance, protection against engine seal deterioration and things like that rather than just good protection against mechanical engine wear.

dcfish, where do you get the neo synthetic & what is the approx cost? I haven't heard of that brand much so I'm courious is all.

Monarch, if Toyota get their "genuine motor oil" from Mobil, isn't it pretty much just the same thing but "rebottled" with a Toyota label? :blink: I dought the instructions on the back of a bottle of that oil would say to ONLY use genuine Toyota motor oil in a genuine Toyota vehicle would it? Surely it would be fine to use it in other makes & models of vehicles that call for a specific viscosity grade? My Dad use to try a range of different synthetic & conventional oil products to try & find an inexpensive way to keep his 90 Park Avenue going strong after close to a quater million miles on the original engine & transmission.....the solution? He sticks with Castrol Syntec 5W 50 100% synthetic oil and never has to top it up in between oil changes........he actually noticed an improvement (beleive it or not) in his fuel consumption when he switched to the "thicker" grade and the thing even idles quieter than it did before. One can't tell me that there are no benefits to using synthetic oil over conventional & I'm more inclined to trust "real world" results in general such as steviej's & my father's for example and many others no dought, than to see links of endless babble (guess work in a white coat which results are usually biased because they conduct the tests representing their own oil company they work for! :ph34r: ) on conventional vs synthetic comparo's or "I said this" & "this person say's that" it's a broken record. :rolleyes:

One should try both for themselves & compare.......if one discovers no significant benefits & is more comfortable going back to "dino" oil for whatever reason, good for them & best of luck as well :whistles: I'm comfortable with using synthetic and changing the oil & filter at the Lexus suggested interval. I dought the oil companies "make up" stuff as you tend to suggest in order for them to charge 2 or 3 times more a qt or litre for synthetic over conventional cause if it didn't have the benefits as it claims or for the sake of arguement is just conventional oil with a synthetic label on the box........there would be a lawsiut so large that even the largest oil company would go out of business & turn into something like the Enron fiasco in the end or the tabacco companies. :chairshot:

The overwelming majority of synthetic oil users will disagree with you all day long no matter how much you try & convince them otherwise & they would be right. More people leave the "conventional camp" for the "synthetic camp" as opposed to the other way around & that trend will continue. You mentioned either in this thread or another one on this subject about the cost savings you can have with conventional over synthetic.......My wife & I are in the process of looking for a house in the coming months.......If I "saved" several hundred bucks over the years by using conventional over synthetic, I don't think it will make us or break us when the times comes to getting approved for that mortgage & I probobly would have spent it on something else anyways.......like more frequent (conventional) oil changes :P but as it is..... :blushing:

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/ , Have been using NEO since I had my first camry in 95 , my father- in -law was an well established pilot and this is all he ever used in his cesnas and beechcraft , he turned me on to this oil he owns 3 camry's , 1 celica and a 92 ls400 and they are using NEO he knows this guy in arizona that has 550,000 on a 90 ls and he only uses NEO the car still runs like a champ and never a problem.

Where do they sell the stuff at most large auto parts chains or mail order kind of thing? :unsure: I'd be courious to see what their "technical specifications" are & the gif link you posted for some reason I can't access as it says there is an error. Thanks for your comments by the way B)

My father- in law sends the oil to me from the manufacturer , He has a dealer license , I have never seen NEO in any store , do a search on google [ neo oil ] and it is one of the first links . The oil is really great stuff , Here is the 74 Toyota Celica with his beechcraft , the toy is still in mint condition.

post-13-1086957675.jpg