Gps Installation With Pocket Pc

This is an excellent tutorial on a low cost alternative GPS system, using a Pocket PC.

It has been reproduced here with th full permission of the author Amit Tailor, who originally posted this article in the UK forum.

Got an IS200 without GPS?

Here’s a way of adding a navigation system for a fraction of the cost using a Pocket PC and a simple installation that hides all the cables.

The problem with most Pocket PC GPS navigation systems is the power cable and GPS cable. They really do look untidy.

The guide below will illustrate a way of fitting a Pocket PC cradle to the dash taking power from the existing cigarette lighter socket hiding all cables.

ppc_gps.gif

Components used:

Fujitsu Loox Pocket PC PDA

£350-£400 (www.dabs.com)

Haicom GPS for Loox

£80 (www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk)

Compact flash storage

£35 for 128Mb (www.scan.co.uk)

Navigation software

£100-£200 (www.tomtom.com)

Cigarette lighter socket

99p (www.maplin.co.uk)

Wire for cigarette light socket

35p (www.maplin.co.uk)

Tools used:

* Screwdrivers

* Soldering iron

* Drill

Time:

Approx 2 hours in total.

The complete system costs approx £500-£600, however this also includes a PDA and possibly a MP3 player

Step 1.

Remove air vent dash panel.

There are a number of different ways to remove this please see this thread for full details.

After removing the air vent dash panel I had to remove the felt panel from the dash using a screwdriver.

Step 2.

Remove the heated switch panel which on the lower part of the console. This is very easy to remove.

Simply put your hand under the switch console, get a really form grip and pull toward you.

Step 3.

Remove the gear stick console - these simply lift out and disconnect the cigarette lighter and ashtray light cables.

Step 4.

Connect the wire to the cigarette socket and feed the other end for the power from the top dash to the gear stick console.

Solder/connect the power wire to the existing cigarette wire connection

Step 5

Reconnect the gear stick console cables and re-fit the console.

Step 6

Fitting the PDA cradle to the felt dash.

Drill a hole large enough got the GPS cable through the felt dash and air vent console.

I had to perform some modification to the PDA holder to hide connectors under the dash rather than the back of the holder.

Feed the power cable for the GPS through the dash and connect the power.

Attach the PDA to the dash. I used two screws, but I guess you could use anything sturdy.

I placed the GPS antenna just behind the PDA cradle.

ppc_cradle.gif

Finally refit the air vent console.