05 Lexus Ls430 Pedal Position Sensor Problem

omnibus88

Hi

I just bought a 2005 Lexus LS430 and got CEL, VSC and Trac lights on. RPM's won't go over 2000.

I bought if from a dealer in Texas and they claim car was OK when they sold it. I live in Chicago and car was already broken when I got it yesterday. Dealer politely let me know to f**k off and have a nice day, car was sold AS-IS and I did not inspect it before buying (I bought it on eBay).

I took the car to Lexus Dealership and after running codes (P2116, P2138) they let me know that I need to replace Acc. Pedal Position Sensor ($800 parts+labor).

Just wondering if it's a common issue or can I expect the car to be some kind of lemon.

BTW: Dealership is Texas Auto Liquidators. Too bad I did not check Ripoff Report before.

http://www.txcars.net/

Thanks for any help.

Just one question, why would you buy a car without inspecting or test driving it first? I'm guessing you paid $50.00 for it. I think I just answered my own question.

I live in Chicago, dealer is in Texas. Had 100% rating on eBay. And I paid over $20,000 for the car :/

What a bunch of a-holes! :censored:

That's not a problem I've ever heard of. Did you run a CafFax on the car? How many miles does it have?

Hopefully this is an isolated incident and you won't have any further problems...

It has a clean carfax record. 91,000 miles. I ordered a new sensor and going to change it myself.

Also where is fuse box ? Radio doesn't turn on and I am hoping it's just a fuse.

Also where is fuse box ? Radio doesn't turn on and I am hoping it's just a fuse.

With all the problems you are having, I'm almost afraid to ask .... but did an owners manual come with your car?

The owners manual for my 00 LS400 shows the location of the two fuse boxes -- a small one under the dash on the far left on the drivers side and the large one in the engine compartment. It also shows the function of each fuse. The inside of each fuse box cover in my 00 LS shows the function of each fuse. I assume your LS430 owners manual contains similar information.

My 00 LS400 has two fuses associated with the radio. The one under the dash is shared by the radio, outside mirrors, shift lock and A/C. I would notice immediately if it blew. The one in the engine compartment is only for the radio. Your LS430 may be different.

The "radio 1" fuse in the engine compartment of a friend's 99 LS400 failed a few months ago. We tried replacing it but the new fuse blew as we inserted it. We disconnected the battery terminal, inserted another new "radio 1" fuse, and reconnected the battery. The fuse didn't blow this time and the radio and CD player again functioned normally. It seemed odd that we had to disconnect the battery to keep from blowing a new fuse.

Has the 90,000 mile service been performed? There should be a sticker on the engine cover showing that the timing belt has been replaced if the 90,000 mile service has been performed. If it hasn't, you'll be spending about $1,500 to have the 90,000 mile service performed.

It is starting to sound like the previous owner let things go. I hope you can verify that the car has had at least a few oil changes along the way.

With all the problems you are having, I'm almost afraid to ask .... but did an owners manual come with your car?

The owners manual for my 00 LS400 shows the location of the two fuse boxes -- a small one under the dash on the far left on the drivers side and the large one in the engine compartment. It also shows the function of each fuse. The inside of each fuse box cover in my 00 LS shows the function of each fuse. I assume your LS430 owners manual contains similar information.

My 00 LS400 has two fuses associated with the radio. The one under the dash is shared by the radio, outside mirrors, shift lock and A/C. I would notice immediately if it blew. The one in the engine compartment is only for the radio. Your LS430 may be different.

The "radio 1" fuse in the engine compartment of a friend's 99 LS400 failed a few months ago. We tried replacing it but the new fuse blew as we inserted it. We disconnected the battery terminal, inserted another new "radio 1" fuse, and reconnected the battery. The fuse didn't blow this time and the radio and CD player again functioned normally. It seemed odd that we had to disconnect the battery to keep from blowing a new fuse.

Has the 90,000 mile service been performed? There should be a sticker on the engine cover showing that the timing belt has been replaced if the 90,000 mile service has been performed. If it hasn't, you'll be spending about $1,500 to have the 90,000 mile service performed.

It is starting to sound like the previous owner let things go. I hope you can verify that the car has had at least a few oil changes along the way.

I don't really think that 90,000 miles service has been done. Owner's manual is missing. I've been told by truck driver that battery was dead when he was picking up the car. Dealer put a new battery in the car...maybe they blew a fuse.

Are you sure the manuals are missing? The pictures of your car from the listing show them! By the way, good looking car! Exactly like mine except for the NAV.. You are going to love it once you get everything fixed. I would say you did pretty good.

post-55064-1223569523_thumb.jpg

I don't really think that 90,000 miles service has been done. Owner's manual is missing. I've been told by truck driver that battery was dead when he was picking up the car. Dealer put a new battery in the car...maybe they blew a fuse.
Lexus will send you an owners manual for free by request at lexus.com/owners. In the mean time, here is the PDF for the fuses....

Fuse.do.pdf

I found it in the trunk :) One good news :)

Fuse was blown. So radio works great now :)

Now I just have to wait for that sensor and replace it. Also rear tail light is busted but of course I can not prove it was them :/

Car is awesome :) I used to have a fully loaded Chrysler LHS before and though that was luxury...not anymore :)