Recycling Old Parts

blk_on_blk

I've been doing some needed maintenance to our Lexus's over the past few months such as replace a sticky caliper, rebuild the A/C system, replace rotor/pads, replace struts, etc. Now that all is said and done, I've got a bunch of old parts sitting in the trailer waiting to go to the dump. It just seems wrong to toss these things out. I mean, there's good steel in the rotors... the strut casings are decent and might serve as good 'cores', the A/C compressor is good for the core, the old caliper is good for a core. Is there a place I can bring these parts for recycle?

I bought most of these parts on-line, and many didn't require a core deposit. The only one I bought locally that required a core was the caliper, and they took back the old one to be remanufactured. I tried to bring in my old A/C compressor at the same time, and they said, "If you didn't buy it here and it isn't returned as a core to something you bought, we can't accept it." So I should toss out a decent core? One that many people pay $50-$70 bucks for when buying a new unit? I can't just give it to a shop and have them send it to someone for rebuilding? I would think someone like HR&M would love a good used factory OEM Lexus A/C compressor.

I'm just hoping someone knows of a good place to bring old parts so they can bring life to some 'new' parts... instead of just rotting in a dump somewhere. Lord knows we've got enough of that.

• 3 weeks later...

No thoughts, eh? Hmm, well, I couldn't find anything regarding what to do with old worn car parts on the web either, so they all went to the city dump last weekend. Just seems like a lot of waste of good steel and housings/casings/cores.

I never even saw your first post before. Sorry. But, my family owns a auto shop, and unfortunately we ran into this problem alot before. We have set up old part returns with alot of our vendors, and we also set up a recycling program for steel, iron, and aluminum. But it was completely my dads effort to make that happen. It is a shame. I agree. They should do alot more.

Wow, Smooth, I'm totally impressed with your Dad taking the initiative, time/money, and effort to set up a recycling/return program! That's very admirable! I wish the sentiment was more widespread across the automotive repair/parts industry, but it's nice to hear of someone working to make a difference.

The company I work for has an extensive re-using program for their products, and they get creative in how to recycle/reuse most of what they produce. Hopefully other industries will take that initiative more proactively. Can you imagine at some point a brake rotor manufacture saying, "We've been making the same quality rotors for years... literally, since we use the same steel from our returned rotors!"

• 12 years later...

Hi! I remember my past experience as a garbage collector, when I had to recycle waste, and now I have my brand new Lexus UX200 and if necessary, I can use the services of rubbishwaste for garbage collection. But I would be glad to hear the answer to your question myself.