Mas Questions

STOKED

I'm not sure if there's a electronic overdrive. Overdrive is like the fifth gear on an automatic tranmission. The manufacturers say four speed automatic with overdrive. A friend of mine was rebuilding his T5 Transmission, and show'd me how the gears were setup. The overdrive gear on the Stang 5.0s-5speed, is relatively smaller compared to the other ones. I'm guessing, the ones on an automatic is bigger than the ones on manual shift.

It is very important feature because it prevents your car from running at high RPMs for a long time.

when you deactivate the O/D button (light on Dash), then the gear isn't active, and yes, you're wasting fuel.

I've used touch-up paint on my G20 before. It wasn't the best solution for me. Aren't there instructions on the bottle? I would consult a body shop, or someone else on the forum.

Electronic Overdrive is typically a "lock up" torque converter. When you go into overdrive, your torque converter "locks up" and is mechanically mated to the drivetrain. On a 4 speed auto trans, the fourth gear is when the torque converter is locked up.

The power button holds the shift points so that you rev the engine more before the tranny shifts.

The secret to touch up paint is to put it on in thin layers. Build it up slowly, letting it dry completely between coats. When you get it built up enough use 1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper (with water) an d wet sand it smooth with the rest of the paint, then polish it. It should blend well.

Tom

If you turn overdrive OFF you're limiting yourself to only 4 gears in a 4-gear automatic with overdrive.

If you leave overdrive ON, you allow your car to go into "5th" gear to save gas on the freeway.

The reason to turn Overdrive off is usually when you are on a slow highway heading uphill and your car keeps changing from overdrive to 4th and back.

Too much shifting wears out the tranny and thats what the overdrive OFF button is for.

The touch up paint is time consuming, but if done properly can produce some pretty good results.

Different manufacturers label "overdrive" differently. Some manufacturers simply have the "lock up" torque converter as their overdrive. This means that you have no losses from the torque converter at this point. The torque converter transfers power to the wheels basically by spinning a drum that have fan blades on the inside. As the fan blades spin and catch the transmission fluid, that fluid catches another set of blades and turns the transmission. A very simplified explanation, but you can see how you would lose a lot of power in this transfer.

Now, for the manufacturers that actually have a real "overdrive" it is different. An overdrive gear means that for every revolution that the engine makes, the transmission will make MORE than one revolution. This is because of the gear ratios. So, basically you are getting more turns out of your wheels than the engine is providing. If your engine is making less revolutions, you are using less fuel.

I hope that helps. Now with maufacturers having 5, 6, and 7 speed transmissions you can have 2 or even 3 overdrive gears.

Tom