02 Gs300 Noise When Accelerating At Low Rpm

I have a 02 GS300 SD that I purchased brand new. It now has about 15000 miles on it. Lately I have noticed that it makes a wierd intermittent noise when i give it gas at low speed and the rpm jumps from 1000 to 3000 (typically when its in the second or third). Its not one of the usual engine noises that you hear when accelerating. The dealer said it was a bent heat shield which was making the noise under pressure and he adjusted it but that didn't fix it. I am bummed because I can't stand noise problems (thats why I went with the Lexus in the first place) and despite 3 trips to the dealer they are unable to fix it. I recently got the dealer 15000 mile service done and have religiously used high grade gas and all oil changes have been done by the dealer on time.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

• 11 months later...

I have a 02 GS300 SD that I purchased brand new.  It now has about 15000 miles on it.  Lately I have noticed that it makes a wierd intermittent noise when i give it gas at low speed and the rpm jumps from 1000 to 3000 (typically when its in the second or third). Its not one of the usual engine noises that you hear when accelerating.  The dealer said it was a bent heat shield which was making the noise under pressure and he adjusted it but that didn't fix it.  I am bummed because I can't stand noise problems (thats why I went with the Lexus in the first place) and despite 3 trips to the dealer they are unable to fix it.  I recently got the dealer 15000 mile service done and have religiously used high grade gas and all oil changes have been done by the dealer on time.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Can you pinpoint which side the sound is coming from? Mine was close to the passenger side. One day I was driving and it hit me the wrong way (the noise) and I took the car to the dealer. They found out that my passenger door was missing 3 rubber graments. Noise gone. Me happy. Car is '01 GS3.

I have the exact same noise in my 99 GS3. It does sound like a heat shield rattling when acclerating at the RPM's you mentioned. It is getting worse. The sound seems to be coming from behind the steering wheel, but it is not like a dash-rattle. It is more metallic. If anyone knows a fix, I'd sure like to know too.

Get under your cars and give the exhaust system some good "bangs" with the side of your fist. I had a similar problem with my SC300 and it was driving me crazy. I was able to find the exact place that the heat shield was rattling and bend it out myself. It does not take much movement to get a big fix. Once I did this I drove the car and the noise was better, but not fixed. I found that I actually had 2 contact points. Once I found the second one, all was fixed.

I did not bend mine much and have found that periodically I need to "readjust" the heat shield. I would rather do this than bend it a lot in the beginning.

Tom