Rear Tire Wear

bmullinax

I put new tires on my '94 SC400 3,000 miles ago and the rear tires are completely worn out on the inside. Is there adjustments to the camber that will solve this? Any suggestions as to the best way to resolve this problem? There is no lowering kit installed.

Tires are Yokohama ES100, 235/45Z R17

Thanks for any help...............Merry Christmas

An alignment will fix your problem if it isn't a defect with the suspension. Also, you're going to need new tires. Because once a wear pattern starts in a tire, i will never end. The tires will continue to wear that way forever. So I would suggest if the inside edge of your tire is worn down, just replace the two tires. Put the new ones on the front, and rotate the fronts to the rear. (If this is possible) The SC's are considered a "difficult alignment." But, only because they over so much adjustment from the factory, without the help of a cam kit, or shims.

I put new tires on my '94 SC400 3,000 miles ago and the rear tires are completely worn out on the inside. Is there adjustments to the camber that will solve this? Any suggestions as to the best way to resolve this problem? There is no lowering kit installed.

Tires are Yokohama ES100, 235/45Z R17

Thanks for any help...............Merry Christmas

Isn't your car shaking?

The alignment on mine was way out in the back when I got it and there wasn't any shaking. There was some massive pulling, but that's due to the worn tires being on the front. Since I didn't want to mess with it before Winter, I just stuffed them on the back and the brand new tires on the front. Got the alignment done, and all's well. The back tires don't shake, don't pull (until you hit about 75 mph but that mostly has to do with the ruts in the road and the tires being so wide.)

Also another thing that will completely destroy your tires is not rotating them. I've seen tires chewed up in 15k miles. Front tires toast, back tires perfect. But, if it's uneven wear, it's definetly due to the alignment because of mis adjustment, non adjustment or bent suspension.

:cheers: Thanks to you guys for responding to my question.

I looked around and found a "Brake Check" that had a "Hunter Computerized Alignment System". They checked out the suspension (both front and rear) and didn't find anything worn out, bent or broken. They checked the alignment and found deviations from the required specs. The camber spec. is -1.6 to -0.1 for the rear. The actuals were found to be at -2.5 on the left rear and -2.0 on the right rear. The front wheels were out of spec. a little so they did a 4 wheel alignment and brought all to close to midpoint on the spec. I hope this resolves the problem because new tires get expensive.

Happy New Year..........

That should do it. :) Are you planning to replace the two bad tires? Definitely monitor our Buy and Sell Forum. there are many posts from fellow members who are trying to sell stock wheels and tires.