What Is This Attached To My Antenna Lead?

pishta

92 LS400, Pioneer cassette OEM radio, no CD changer but I have a coaxial male connector cable taped to my FM antenna lead at the automatic antenna. I also have a little unit right behind the power antenna that says "FCC notice...." that is held in by 2 factory looking 10mm nuts. I found it while repairing my broken power antenna belt. Any ideas?

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

post-47886-1223247222_thumb.jpg

post-47886-1223247242_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that what you found is for the dealer installed Lexus phone. All LS cars from 1990 through 2003 where prewired at the factory for a dealer installed phone. I couldn't swallow the high cost of a dealer installed Lexus phone when I bought my first LS in 1990 but the dealer had, at my request, a much less expensive aftermarket phone system installed. The transceiver for my aftermarket "President" phone system was installed on the left side of the trunk of my 1990 LS400 near the radio antenna in the same location where the Lexus phone transceiver would have been installed. The coax cable you found may run to the phone antenna coax cable connection at the center of the rear window above the headliner. If you take a peek, you can see the coax cable attached to a small bracket above the headliner.

Jim, I think you are right about the coax connector. But, unless I an not understanding the poster's description, the box behind the antenna with the FCC notice stamped on it, looks like the keyless remote receiver.

The dealer-installed Lexus phone transceivers I have seen are black with a lock cylinder on top. Their looks remind me of a stereo amplifier. The transciever is rather large and I don't think it would fit back into that area behind the antenna.

Actually, the last dealer phone transciever I saw installed in a first-generation LS was mounted under the rear seat cushion.

It is interesting seeing this post today. I spent a better part of this afternoon tearing apart that section of my car's trunk. Still trying to figure out why the keyless remote suddenly stopped functioning a few months ago. If nothing else, I guess now I know how it all fits together!

Ok, Ill buy that. So is the traces in the rear window heater elements or antenna traces? My rear window tint is awful, unsafe as you can see nothing at night due to age or just poor material and just looks terrible. Im going to remove it and dont want to damage a heater trace.

Ok, Ill buy that. So is the traces in the rear window heater elements or antenna traces? My rear window tint is awful, unsafe as you can see nothing at night due to age or just poor material and just looks terrible. Im going to remove it and dont want to damage a heater trace.

The traces are for the defroster and the keyless remote antenna. I do not know much about window tint. If you are afraid of damaging the traces when removing the tint, you may want to look into having it professionally removed.