Factory Alarm Goin Ape S#@t!

RLis300

Ok here goes. I park my car outside...10 min. later the alarm goes off...Nothing in sight. So I check it out and reset it. This goes on for about a week. After expecting it was the cat from next door crawling under my car...I move my car in the garage. It is fine for a while until about 5am it does it again. Nothing is around to set it off so I dont understand. This is happening everyday. It was not like this when I first bought the car. My question is...WHY? What could make the alarm keep going off by itself?

the battery is a CR1616 lithium. You should be able to find it at any Walmart or Radio Shack or wherever has a bunch of watch and calculator batteries. Just use a pin to pop open the key fob cover and you'll easily see how to replace the battery. It should only cost around 3 bucks to do it. If for some reason it's not that, then it could be a faulty switch. You have 4 pin switches for each door, a trunk pin, and a hood pin. Now factor in that the alarm also monitors the door lock lines and if you try and unlock the doors manually it to triggers the alarm. A dealer scan tool may be able to tell you what it is thats tripping the system so I would take it in to find that out.

the battery is a CR1616 lithium. You should be able to find it at any Walmart or Radio Shack or wherever has a bunch of watch and calculator batteries. Just use a pin to pop open the key fob cover and you'll easily see how to replace the battery. It should only cost around 3 bucks to do it. If for some reason it's not that, then it could be a faulty switch. You have 4 pin switches for each door, a trunk pin, and a hood pin. Now factor in that the alarm also monitors the door lock lines and if you try and unlock the doors manually it to triggers the alarm. A dealer scan tool may be able to tell you what it is thats tripping the system so I would take it in to find that out.

If aint aint one thing its another. I replaced the battery but now the remote isnt working (no light). I put the old battery in and the same thing... :angry:

:lol: are you putting the battery in upside down? Also, some times they put a clear piece of plastic or blue film on one side of the battery. You pulled that off?

:lol: are you putting the battery in upside down? Also, some times they put a clear piece of plastic or blue film on one side of the battery. You pulled that off?

Thanks for the laugh...I needed it. No the battery is in correct and no film is on it. Now when I put in the original battery it lights up but the new one is not working still...

Well I went to AutoZone and bought another battery for the remote. I got an Energizer this time. :) It works. So I went out driving around the city. Parked the car in a quiet place at my friends apt. 1 hour later the alarm starts going off. I turned it off then reset it for it to go bananas agin about 15 min later. Now give me ur take.

*** A little more insight..... It has a remote start system that came with the car when I bout it but is never used and never caused problems before.****

Well I went to AutoZone and bought another battery for the remote. I got an Energizer this time. :) It works. So I went out driving around the city. Parked the car in a quiet place at my friends apt. 1 hour later the alarm starts going off. I turned it off then reset it for it to go bananas agin about 15 min later. Now give me ur take.

*** A little more insight..... It has a remote start system that came with the car when I bout it but is never used and never caused problems before.****

Ah-Ha!! The plot thickens.......LOL!

Remote start system huh? Do you know which system was installed?

Have you checked the trunk and the hood also? Make sure they are closed all the way down? Have you done any audio work lately? Have you tried disconnecting the remote start system to see if that eliminates the problem?

Ah-Ha!! The plot thickens.......LOL!

Remote start system huh? Do you know which system was installed?

Have you checked the trunk and the hood also? Make sure they are closed all the way down? Have you done any audio work lately? Have you tried disconnecting the remote start system to see if that eliminates the problem?

I just disconnected the remote start just now. There were no hood pins or trunk pins. It was some cheap audiovox crap. I havent had a prob yet but the night is young :D

10:57am Central Time Update: Nothing yet. So seems to be good.

Question: How do I trigger the factory alarm?

Have someone sit in the car. You walk away and lock the doors with the remote. Then have the person inside open their door. The alarm should go off.

Have someone sit in the car. You walk away and lock the doors with the remote. Then have the person inside open their door. The alarm should go off.

How long should they wait before they open the door and what if it doesnt go off?

How long should they wait before they open the door and what if it doesnt go off?

Here's what happened to me. I went into the bank and left a passenger in the car and locked it with the remote. I guess about 10 minutes later the passenger opened the door and the alarm went off.

I've seen this problem on aftermarket alarms often but rarely "factory" sets. I can't tell you why your alarm is falsing without actually seeing it in action but I can recommend that you put your alarm in "valet mode" if you're able to locate the button. Its usually below the steering wheel. You will have to hold that button for a few seconds while the key is turned to ACC (when all the dashlights are one just before ignition) this usually disables your alarm...

I've seen this problem on aftermarket alarms often but rarely "factory" sets. I can't tell you why your alarm is falsing without actually seeing it in action but I can recommend that you put your alarm in "valet mode" if you're able to locate the button. Its usually below the steering wheel. You will have to hold that button for a few seconds while the key is turned to ACC (when all the dashlights are one just before ignition) this usually disables your alarm...

I dont have a valet button. Its the factory alarm. I uninstalled the other alarm which was only a remote start/keyless.

The triggers for the hood and trunk are in the latches themselves, and the doors are wired into the master lock panel. It's the green wire with the black stripe.

Because the factory alarm system is also wired in with a factory immobilizer, I would just take it into the dealer and see if they can figure out what exactly is going on. I wouldn't have them fix it unless it's a relatively inexpensive fix, but atleast they might tell you what the problem is.