Rough Running Since Access Belt Failure

mejojo

92 LS400, 218,000 miles.

A long-ways strip came off the accessory belt....meaning most of the belt was still functioning, except an edge strip which came off and wrapped around the fan hub and also was hitting stuff as it was going around.

The belt is all taken care of, but the car runs rough now. With the car in gear, reverse most pronounced, the engine idles rough at around 600 but it quickly surges up maybe 50 RPM and back to 600....just rough running. I can drive the car to get me from here to there, but it is not very pleasant as it seems to "miss" all the time. If I floor it, there is plenty of power.

Is there anything you can think of (sensor wire, etc.) that may have been damaged around the accessory belt path that might cause this behavior?

CEL light bulb is verified functional, but is not on.

Ideas?

Joe

92 LS400, 218,000 miles.

A long-ways strip came off the accessory belt....meaning most of the belt was still functioning, except an edge strip which came off and wrapped around the fan hub and also was hitting stuff as it was going around.

The belt is all taken care of, but the car runs rough now. With the car in gear, reverse most pronounced, the engine idles rough at around 600 but it quickly surges up maybe 50 RPM and back to 600....just rough running. I can drive the car to get me from here to there, but it is not very pleasant as it seems to "miss" all the time. If I floor it, there is plenty of power.

Is there anything you can think of (sensor wire, etc.) that may have been damaged around the accessory belt path that might cause this behavior?

CEL light bulb is verified functional, but is not on.

Ideas?

Joe

check all vacuum lines are in place and plugged in proper location cars4851

One other thing....I disconnected a plug wire for testing, and the coil pack arcs over to a small metal pipe coming from the coolant overflow tank.

I realize I am giving the spark no path to the plug at that point, but should the coil wire head ever allow an arc out of it, or do I have a bad coil wire?

Joe