Newbie Needs Speedometer Help

dezslex

Hello everyone! New to the forum and have searched this topic until I am slightly confused. My step daughter just bought her first car on her own a 90 ls400. Needless to say Im VERY proud of her. The speedometer dosent work but the Tach does. odometer dosent work stopped at 162k The cluster illuminates just no speedo. I have tried hitting the dash atop the cluster to no avail.. Seems that I read that the "cap" issue occurs when there is no illumination at all. Any ideas? Also anyone know what size speakers are in the fron and rear doors? Thanks so much in advance!

Well, I read the Stickys again. and It seems as if she needs a new cluster. What Im still confused about is... if the tach and all other guages work. does she need a new cluster or can the Speedometer be repaired somehow. The odometer is secondary but at age 19 she certainly needs to know how fast she is going..

ALL The info you need is in the sticky.

Such as... info on shipping your current cluster off for repair.

Reading the entire thing is pretty much the only way to get a full comprehension of the problems, and solutions.

• 3 months later...
ALL The info you need is in the sticky.

Such as... info on shipping your current cluster off for repair.

Reading the entire thing is pretty much the only way to get a full comprehension of the problems, and solutions.

I can't find the sticky you are talking about; could you post a link that will work?

Sincerely,

jparish

###

Hello everyone! New to the forum and have searched this topic until I am slightly confused. My step daughter just bought her first car on her own a 90 ls400. Needless to say Im VERY proud of her. The speedometer dosent work but the Tach does. odometer dosent work stopped at 162k The cluster illuminates just no speedo. I have tried hitting the dash atop the cluster to no avail.. Seems that I read that the "cap" issue occurs when there is no illumination at all. Any ideas? Also anyone know what size speakers are in the fron and rear doors? Thanks so much in advance!

Have the speed sensor in the tranny checked.

• 4 months later...

I own a 92 LS400, and I think I have the exact same problem. The guage cluster illuminates, tach works fine, temp and fuel guages work fine, just the speedometer and odometer have quit (as well as the trip A and B option). I bought another guage cluster and replaced it on my own only to have the exact same problem surface, so I'm certain its not the guage cluster. Friends have suggested that its probably the speed sensor (which makes sense since distance traveled and speed are related), and I downloaded a troubleshooting guide from TIS (Techical Information System) on how to see if it is indeed the speed sensor. I'm still dealing with finding a tutorial on how to replace it (or even get to it for that matter), but if I do come across a guide, I'll definitely let you know. Would love to hear back from you if you found a guide online on how to replace the speed sensor as well. Good luck and thanks!

Sam on my 91 LS400. DEFINITELY the speed sensor attached to the transmission. Some said that the part from Autozone worked but when I bought (and returned), it looked diferent (2 instead of 3 prong ?)