Weight Junkies Answer Here!

Calvin L

by now, pretty much everyone who owns or are interested in Sc's know that they're pigs. does anybody have information or can find information on what are the more "heavier" parts of the car? and what weighs how much. kind of like a weight chart. and how much certain aftermarket parts weigh. i think this would make a great sticky for those who are weight junkies and try to find every possible way to make their Sc's just a tad lighter. because even a little bit at a time, it adds up! B)

your front seats if they are heated, back seats, your spare tire, your gas tank, and i dont know for sure but i believe the sound dampaning stuff is a lil heavy, your hood is pretty heavy.

hopefully by march im going to go to a custom shop and have my gas tank taken out and have a 12 gallon one made. if that happens ill let yall know about weight difference.

you can always get a C/F hood and or trunk lid. you can get some volk rims, you can get a solid titanium exhaust. switch out your front seats with supra seats, take your rear seats out and have it done up real nice to make it look ok. get a aluminum fly wheel (saves about only 10 lbs) take your spare out, thats all i can think of

not to bash on your idea, but i think if everyone had an extra $4000, CF vertex doors for everyone :D

yea there are a whole bunch of things to do. but has anybody weighed their components before.

SouthernSC300 - nice idea about the deadening crap. are there aftermarket "sprays" that can replace the deadening at least by a good percentage? that would be a good weight mod to do. Supra seats are a must B) and backseats can be taken out or replaced (which is my preference, since i like to take people out instead of riding their car, i like to be in control ;p) and the titanium exahust is super smart. like the HKS Titanium(Supra Exauhst) w/ custom piping to fit SC needs.

great ideas!

Tire repair foam is a joke, and does nothing but destroy your tire. You're better off with a replacement wheel made of plywood. Gunk is good in a pinch, but even in that cirumsance I would never use it. Road Side Assistance is far better. And we actually weighed sound deadening scrapings out of a MKIII Supra, it weighed about 1 1/2 lbs. And took about a good solid 6 hours to scrap all that crap out. Not worth it in my opinion. But if you wanted it to sound like you were driving around in a tin can, go for it.

There are so many things you could do if you really wanted to save weight, from replacing parts with cheap thin metal, or Carbon fiber, to using titanium parts, making an aluminum dash, taking out the stereo, seats, headliner, air conditioning, flywheel, bumpers, clips, seat belts, fuel tank, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, steering wheel, air bags, door panels, all interior panels, lighter battery. A ton of things.. Just have to sit down and weigh everything and decide if it's "crucial" to your driving characteristics. I think this is a really good idea though. Gathering the weight of objects for those that want to lose a few pounds here and there.

Personally, I bought a Lexus because I wanted a Lexus.

if you take out all those things then where does the luxury go? if you wanted an all out sports car you should have bought a porsche or an NSX or sumthin ;) so well if thats not the answer you were looking for then did you try weighing that rear wing? that thing is a pig in its self. make that in to carbon :lol:

A friend and I had a '68 GTO that we street raced (alot). It started out at 3845 lbs and we got it down to 3100 lbs even after we added an eight point roll bar. A/C has to go and not just under the hood, under the dash as well. Seats replaced, cruise control, windshield washer motor, you name it. Start looking at every component of your car and think about if you need it or not or if it can be modified to be lighter. How often do you use your parking brake? That stuff wieghs quite a bit. But think of safety as well. I saw some very fast cars that had brakes that wouldn't stop a riding lawn mower let alone a 3500 lb missile.

But I'm of the same opinion of why you would do this to a Lexus. If it has already been misused and abused I might think of doing the same thing.

I just thought of something else, be creative. Did you know that Dodge didn't have window mechanisms in the Hemi Darts in '68? They used what looked like seat belts to raise and lower the door windows, which by the way were Lexan.

Wick

i really dont know that much about aftermarket sound dampning. i know there is dynamat (pretty heavy) and always the pink panther stuff home if you wanna be ghetto fab.

oh yah, your stock head unit weighs 6.5 lbs, ( i just weighed mine since its out) you can replace it with a 3lb aftermarkert one :D

well the sc is a freakin Tank.

lol.

I know the backseat weighs around 180lbs. and the stock rotors weigh 52lbs each.

Is the rotor really 52 pounds each? Wow. I double checked on http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#029 and 52 pounds is around the ballpark. What interesting is that the large supra tt brakes are lighter than the stock.

I don't think the backseat weighs 180 pounds unless your talking about the frame part too. The backseat cushions weight around 20 pounds. So does the cd changer in the trunk.

The spare tire (15 inch steel wheel on some v-rated tire) weighs a tad bit more than 50 pounds.

The sc seats w/o heat weighs 71 (driver), and 59 (passenger). Supra TT leather seats are 20 (twenty) lbs less each.

Quoted off of http://www.importfan.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=3795

OEM Appoximate hood weight : 60.5 lbs = 27.44 kilograms

OEM Hood C-WINGS Hood : 22 lbs = 9.97 kilograms

lol.
I know the backseat weighs around 180lbs. and the stock rotors weigh 52lbs each.

Is the rotor really 52 pounds each? Wow. I double checked on http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#029 and 52 pounds is around the ballpark. What interesting is that the large supra tt brakes are lighter than the stock.

I don't think the backseat weighs 180 pounds unless your talking about the frame part too. The backseat cushions weight around 20 pounds. So does the cd changer in the trunk.

The spare tire (15 inch steel wheel on some v-rated tire) weighs a tad bit more than 50 pounds.

The sc seats w/o heat weighs 71 (driver), and 59 (passenger). Supra TT leather seats are 20 (twenty) lbs less each.

Quoted off of http://www.importfan.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=3795

OEM Appoximate hood weight : 60.5 lbs = 27.44 kilograms

OEM Hood C-WINGS Hood : 22 lbs = 9.97 kilograms

You're right, about the seat and the rotors. The rotors are 22lbs each, and the back seat (both parts w/frames) weights 100lbs. I actually added the speaker deck and the speakers because he wouldn't have backrest to support it with. All combined will equal 184lbs. I would add, replacing the carpet and dash board will help reduce weight as well. Carpet, I would image is about another 60lbs and dash is another 50-70lbs. The Japanese SC in Super Street mag. used a carbonfiber dash. Front buckets-w/heat, moonroof, and headliner will save you 193lbs. Replacing all of the glass/windows with a plastic polymer should reduce another 300-500lbs.

That's just the interior.

Replacing the Hood, doors and trunk lid should reduce around 800lbs.

If you want to make the car into a full-pledge race car--not street legal, let me know.

Info. Courtesy of JD Forbes Race Team.

speakers, sun roof, titanium bolts everywhere.... um... never mind strip the whole car an aluminum plate for gauges and absolutely no interior comforts and just the engine and trans with a small battery, just enough to start the car. :lol:

speakers, sun roof, titanium bolts everywhere.... um... never mind strip the whole car an aluminum plate for gauges and absolutely no interior comforts and just the engine and trans with a small battery, just enough to start the car. :lol:

whos ready to tackle this project? ill be there the whole way if some one goes through with it :cheers:

:cheers: Now that's what I'm talkin about.

If someone starts this, :wub: I'll be there too.

rip the car apart for what reason... you want to drop the weight of the car to go faster leave car intact make sure your not overwieght and add nitro---- pigs make noise and squeals ---------- loud cars on road trips are the pigs

Actually, if you drop the weight and add nitrious, you'd move down the line a lot quicker ;)

I just replaced my seats with some Corbeau's... Both of my stocks seats are 8-way power adjustable with power lumbar and heated seats and weighed around 74 pounds each... Each Corbeau is supposed to weigh around 27 pounds each, not sure about the rails... The 16x7 steel spare tire with 225/55/16 weighs in at 49 lbs. I have '95ish turbo RX7 wheels, 16x8 with 245/50/16 on them that weigh 39 lbs. each, the tire alone weighs 26.2 lbs. each(weight from company's website)...

seats.jpg

Anthony

2 seats + rails + shipping came out to around $1100... I love them, they offer so much more support than the stock seats, well, the stock seats didn't offer any support at all... I drive the car like I stole it alot and these seats keep me locked in... You'll be suprised how much more you can control the car with good seats...

RX7 wheels, 16x8 with 245/50/16 tires

2 seats + rails + shipping came out to around $1100... I love them, they offer so much more support than the stock seats, well, the stock seats didn't offer any support at all... I drive the car like I stole it alot and these seats keep me locked in... You'll be suprised how much more you can control the car with good seats...

RX7 wheels, 16x8 with 245/50/16 tires

Man I wish I had the $$$. Any donation? :) They look great. BTW did you opt for the five point Harness? :D