Engine Tick

zeus87gn

Hello everybody,

The SC400 is one he!! of an automobile! But I have an issue that concerns me.

I hear an audible ticktickticktick from the d/s of the valve cover every revolution of the engine. You can still hear it when you close the hood and from under the vehicle. It clearly sounds like lifter tick to my ear, but diffucult to track down with a stethoscope. I can hear the injectors ticking quietly in the background (but can't hear them with the hood closed). As time has progressed in the last few weeks, and certainly after the oil change to the correct grade oil :angry: , the tick has gotten quieter. I think it's a sticky lifter that is loosening up from the vehicle having sat for some time before I bought it but not certain.

Question is: Is it normal for these 4.0l V8's to have engine noise like this? Is this something I shoud dive into the motor to repair/replace? Do you think I have done irreversible damage running it with a sticky lifter ticking? What are the chances of crud on a valve that is slowly burning off and taking up the loose lash?

The engine is running just fine and getting fantabulous gas mileage. The slight sputter that you hear from the exhaust (that runs in time with the tick) is virtually nonexistant now.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/ideas/coments.

Z

From what I know about japanese engines.....lifters are not part of the equation here......with most jap engines the cam lobe rides on a shim,....this shim is contained in a shim bucket.....the shim bucket sits on top of the valve stem.....the shim is of specific size to bring the valve clearance within spec......thus a pronounced click in time with the engine ...coming from the under the cam cover ......could be something as simple as a sticky valve , ...a valve needing reshimed...or possibly bigger problems, a burnt valve....the coresponding sputter from the exhaust.....should be a tip off ......of some sort

and NO its not a normal 4.0 thing...mine is quiet and purrs...from idle to the upper rpm's

Many people who are knew to the SC's, have all basically been concerned with the ticking coming from the engine. This has been proven time after time to be normal, unless you here one side louder than the other... You can do further research about it, but they all same the same thing. Just wanted to tell you what I have read about the noise that I have been concerned with 2. Check out www.lextreme.com and click on Cams, shims and that annoying 1UZ-FE V8 tapping noise from the website www.planetsoarer.com.. It may be listed under previous updates category to help you read more about in great detail. Good luck and hope its nothing major, but you can fix it!!!

Thanks for the responses.

I received my manuals (on disk) so now I can take a closer look and find out what I am up against.

Yes, there is one tick that is quite pronounced.

I just cna't track it donw very well. The sound seems to travel well in this engine.

If the cams are shimmed b/w them and the valves, it sounds (in essence) like a solid lift cam?

• 11 years later...
  • 6 months later...