18" Vs. 17"

I purchased and installed the 18-inch G-Spider wheels (pictures to come later, cuz I got some other things done, too), and I have to say that the ride is much nicer. On the 17-inch, it was a lower profile, and I could feel every nook and cranny in the road. With the 18-inch, not as low-profile, and is a much better ride. Just thought I'd share the info if anybody is interested in doing this.

And I got the spoiler and the dark chrome lettering. I couldn't help it.......

I purchased and installed the 18-inch G-Spider wheels (pictures to come later, cuz I got some other things done, too), and I have to say that the ride is much nicer. On the 17-inch, it was a lower profile, and I could feel every nook and cranny in the road. With the 18-inch, not as low-profile, and is a much better ride. Just thought I'd share the info if anybody is interested in doing this.

And I got the spoiler and the dark chrome lettering. I couldn't help it.......

Wow I would have thought with the 18" rims you would have LESS rubber and a more bumpier ride (and therefore more rattles) How much did you pay for the rims and rubber? Where is the dark chrome lettering applied to?

I went to the dealer, so most likely got ripped. And I have to pull out my invoice to get it exact. I paid about $4,000 total for everything that I got, including the labor and the oil change, lol. I think the wheels and tires were around $2,000.

The chrome black lettering replaces the Lexus symbols in the back and the front, and the "IS250" and "Lexus" in the back.

Yeah, I think you have some of the info reversed. On a 17'' rim, you would have more sidewall than on an 18'' rim in order to maintain the same outside diameter of the tire itself.

But did you put the same brand and type of tire on that was on the car before? For example, I have the stock Bridgestone Potenza's on my IS right now. (They suck!) I hate em. On my IS 300, I switched to the Michelin Pilot Sports, and those tires made a huge difference in handling characteristics. I loved the Michelins on the IS 300! And both the Potenza's and the Pilot Sports were on 18'' rims. SO just changing tires can seem to make quite a bit of difference in ride feel, road noise, and turn in response. Also, just changing the offset of the wheel can make the car under or oversteer alot differently. But I don't know that you did or didn't change the offsets any. I am more inclined to beleive you just have better tirees on the car now than before.

Yeah, that very well could be also. Some tire mfgr's are turning to the Silica compounds so the performance holds up longer thru the life of the tire. Note that most "performance" tests on tires that are used for rating them are for new or freshly broken in tires. But the second half of the tire life can be no where near as nice as the first half. Road noise and sidewall performance are the most notable changes. So, even just going to new tires can seem like an upgrade. Do you have the Turanza's, the Potenza RE760's or the Potenza RE050's?

At 34K miles, your 17" had maybe 1/32" tread left. Your new 18" tires start at 8/32" tread depth. There lies the perceived difference in ride.

I have never got more than 20K miles on most cars I have owned. Do you do any cornering, accelerating or braking? :D

At 34K miles, your 17" had maybe 1/32" tread left. Your new 18" tires start at 8/32" tread depth. There lies the perceived difference in ride.

I have never got more than 20K miles on most cars I have owned. Do you do any cornering, accelerating or braking? :D

I do a lot of freeway driving. If I get the chance, I'll do all that other stuff, lol, but it's rare.